Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-standard gas hob

• 10-10-2013 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

The plumbers discovered that our gas hob had a tiny leak; not dangerous, they said, except that it also blows out very easily. Apparently more modern ones (this is c1990) have a cut-off that turns them off or relights them or something if they blow out.
    I went to Ikea and got a hob the correct size and brought it home. Unfortunately, its connection was on the right, whereas the old one's wasn't. And it seems that all hobs - or virtually all - are now standardised to have the connection on the right.
    The plumbers said it was impossible to connect the new one without removing the whole worktop, which is more expensive than I can currently afford.
    Would anyone know where it's possible to buy hobs that connect to the gas supply on the left or in the centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

The plumbers discovered that our gas hob had a tiny leak; not dangerous, they said, except that it also blows out very easily. Apparently more modern ones (this is c1990) have a cut-off that turns them off or relights them or something if they blow out.
    I went to Ikea and got a hob the correct size and brought it home. Unfortunately, its connection was on the right, whereas the old one's wasn't. And it seems that all hobs - or virtually all - are now standardised to have the connection on the right.
    The plumbers said it was impossible to connect the new one without removing the whole worktop, which is more expensive than I can currently afford.
    Would anyone know where it's possible to buy hobs that connect to the gas supply on the left or in the centre?
    Why would the work top need to be removed , I've never come across such an issue before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

If the plumber can connect a hob on the left surely he can connect an extension here to run a new pipe across to the right? He may need to drill a hole in the side of a press or other obstacle.
    Cannot understand why he would need to remove worktop. A photo would help.
    I assume plumber is a RGI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

He obviously has access so i don't see his problem. A plumber i would have confidence in. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks, lads. Pictures (can't remember how to glue in pics so they show, so they'll just be jpeg links) of current hob, and current hob connection.
    To the right of this as you look at it is a dishwasher, with no clearance above it. Moving the hob to the left would mean putting in a new worktop.

Sooo… anyone know of a standard size gas hob with a connector on the left or in the centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

it looks to me ( a non plumber) that the hob is put in 180 degrees rotated. would not any side control be able to do this same rotation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

phester28 wrote: »
    it looks to me ( a non plumber) that the hob is put in 180 degrees rotated. would not any side control be able to do this same rotation?

Alot before came like that. Its right way round.

One solution I had to a awkward hob was use a gas flex with the bullnose connection that you use for bigger hobs that need to be moved.

Drill the side of the press. Lower the hob with flex attached. Fish it through the hole as you drop. Connect to the wall mount and your away.

I think putting a new hob in there 180 degrees rotated would put the control knobs at the back wall, unfortunately, which isn't feasible.
    The trouble with any idea of drilling a hole and feeding it through is that the dishwasher fills the whole depth, length and width of the space on the right; unless I could drill a couple of holes through that (squirty!) it's not a solution!
    The only solution to get a gas hob is to find one that has the fitting on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Either way you will need access to th rh side unit as the hob will need to be secured properly via work top clamps. You will need access to these on boh sides and therefore will need access to the rh side where the gas connection can be made.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Either way you will need access to th rh side unit as the hob will need to be secured properly via work top clamps. You will need access to these on boh sides and therefore will need access to the rh side where the gas connection can be made.

Er, why? The old hob (see pic above) sits in quite happily with its connection in the middle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Loose unsecured hobs can lead to movement of the gas pipe & connections which can lead to gas leaks. That is why they are supplied with clamps.

It's been sitting there with no movement for 25 years, so far. I reckon it's clamped in.

It's been sitting there with no movement for 25 years, so far. I reckon it's clamped in.

Then you probably need access to unscrew it

Access is no problem. The problem is that there isn't clearance for the pipe on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Er, why?

Er!! because the Manufacturers instructions request it and the RGI must fit it in accordance with MI.

Some appliances can be turned by 180o, i suggest you contact one of the larger appliance stores and see if they can give you a specific model.

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/st/gas-hobs

Er!! because the Manufacturers instructions request it and the RGI must fit it in accordance with MI.

Some appliances can be turned by 180o, i suggest you contact one of the larger appliance stores and see if they can give you a specific model.

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/st/gas-hobs

Thanks for the link; unfortunately, these don't mention which side the connection is on. This seems impossible. I think we're going to use the current hob until it becomes unusable, then switch to electric, with maybe a gas camping hob for the occasional stir-fry.

gary71 wrote: »

And I did! And it's £820! Yowsa!

And I did! And it's £820! Yowsa!

If one manufacturer makes them others will, if you contact a supplier like the one Billy mentioned you would be more likely to find what your looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

To install with right hand connection, little bit of work but no problem!
    You'll have to take dishwasher out.
    Prefit a bayonet hose to hob, mock fit hob and mark out a track for the hose to sit into back wall, get the kango and remove the track as deep as needed and as long as needed to get the hose into the next press with the bayonet hose recessed into the wall you should be good to go.

Please be aware only your rgi can work on the gas equipment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Cerco

Esox28mm
    that is lateral thinking. Well done!

No you'd have to run it horizontaly ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I always thought that hobs had to be piped solidly not flexible hoses

they have to be piped using a bayonet type flexible hose suitable for intended gas type, connected to an isolation valve to the right (usually) press beneath the hob.

My thoughts were on a full oven/hob unit it had to be bayonet and flex. As they can be moved easy.

Counter top hobs could be solid pipe or bayonet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Robbie.G wrote: »
    I always thought that hobs had to be piped solidly not flexible hoses

Yes your right robbie but flexible hoses can be used if there isn't an oven underneath the hob. I think there's even heat resistant hoses but I'm not sure

Advertisement