Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oil ran out - airlock in system a possibility?

• 11-10-2013 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭

Oil ran out earlier in the year and only getting around to putting oil in the tank now. Jut wondering if there is a possibility that there will be an airlock in the system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yup unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is this something that I can solve myself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Is this something that I can solve myself?

It's just a case of bleeding the boiler if you post a pic of your boiler and burner someone will talk you through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

And hopefully a dry oil pump left for so long hasn't done damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 seagoat

I just had mine refilled today after six months empty and can't get it to start. Bled it, oil comes out okay, but no sound of air. It won't fire up at all. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

You have pushed the reset on the burner ??

If so what happens when you do ?

Nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Have you turned up the thermostats? Is it controlled by a timer?
    Do you have power on the controller?

I turned up the thermostat, changed the timer to permanently on. Even turned up the frost stat. How do I check for power on the controller?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Depends on the type of controller you have.Some have an inbuilt neon to show when it is powered. You could also check that an mcb has not tripped at your consumer unit (fuebox).
    If I had no repsonse at all after pressing the reset button I would be looking for a power problem.

• Advertisement

Check the hi-limit stat, small button under cover at side of stat control.

It worked!! Thank you guys so much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

seagoat wrote: »
    It worked!! Thank you guys so much :)

Well done. Another poor service engineer done out of €100 !!!

Info over phone I ask my clients to put a tenner into a charity box. Up to you.

I know I didn't have any imputed into this one though, came onto it to late, so thank Billy. + others

Well, famous last words.....it ran for about five minutes then cut out and won't go on again. Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Well, famous last words.....it ran for about five minutes then cut out and won't go on again. Bah.

Is the boiler hot and the rads not heating ?
    If so your pump is not working.

Await your reply and tenner ! If we fix it.

Does it come back on if you turn up the thermostat or leave it for any length of time ?

It came on again this morning on the timer but did the same thing - ran for about a minute then cut out.

Does it come back on if you turn up the thermostat or leave it for any length of time ?

;)

No :)

Like Scudo i would suspect your pump, check out this thread...........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057057042

• Advertisement

Thanks Billy, I'll give it a go this morning.

Took the screw off the motor and had water shooting out non-stop - does that sound right? Didn't attempt any further as back of the unit was getting soaked.

Took the screw off the motor and had water shooting out non-stop - does that sound right? Didn't attempt any further as back of the unit was getting soaked.

You didnt read the link to well, yes you will have some water come out, the advice in the thread read.........

Turn off all heat and allow to cool.The large screw in the middle is unscrewed, there will be a small amount of water leak but a cloth below and bowl will sort it, behind the screw is the pump shaft, there is a slot in the end you can put a screwdriver, turn manually until free, return screw and turn on.

Yes I did do that. It wasn't a small amount though, it was coming out non-stop like a tap full on and didn't stop over a five minute period, that's why I was asking. In the end I turned the water off inside the house and that did it.

So there was a slot, I put the screwdriver in and turned it around a few times quite easily. Started the heating again and same thing happened. Fired up, ran for a few minutes, cut out. Not sure if I did the right procedure on the pump or not.

Sorry to be a pain, I did call a plumber a couple of times yesterday but not had a reply yet. Not many of them round here and not always reliable I'm afraid. Most of them have emigrated.

Any idea how to bleed this?

Open the brass plug on the oil pump (lower right)and press and use the reset button on the burner, when fuel is flowing under pressure, tighten up.

Yes I did do that. It wasn't a small amount though, it was coming out non-stop like a tap full on and didn't stop over a five minute period, that's why I was asking. In the end I turned the water off inside the house and that did it.

So there was a slot, I put the screwdriver in and turned it around a few times quite easily. Started the heating again and same thing happened. Fired up, ran for a few minutes, cut out. Not sure if I did the right procedure on the pump or not.

Sorry to be a pain, I did call a plumber a couple of times yesterday but not had a reply yet. Not many of them round here and not always reliable I'm afraid. Most of them have emigrated.

:eek: I think you really need a plumber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I'd be checking the inline filter(s) all the way from the tank to the burner, as well as all taps and cutoffs. There's a reasonable chance that when you ran the tank dry, it sucked in whatever **** was sitting at the bottom of the tank.

The grey metallic cup thing over the burner in your second photo is a filter housing. Assuming your oil tank is higher then the burner, you should be getting oil to this point without restriction. HArd to see from the angle of the photo, but the bottom of that filter housing *should* have a bleed screw that you can get oil from the tank to the burner with. If you have oil up this far, and you haven't burnt the pump out, she should crank over after a few tries. If not, it's time to bleed at the boiler itself, and investigate the possibility of a burnt out pump.

Open the brass plug on the oil pump (lower right)and press and use the reset button on the burner, when fuel is flowing under pressure, tighten up.

Using an allen key does it just open x amount?

• Advertisement

Many many thanks. That worked perfectly.

Advertisement