iPhone 4s or Galaxy SIII - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-06-2012, 09:39   #61
Johnny_Fontane

The other thing about the SIII,

very quick phone, but not seeing any huge leaps (I know these are hard) over my nexus s. speed wise yes, but the additions they are advertising are mostly gimmicks in my opinion.

Yes its large, but really thats a non issue, its very very slim and light.

Battery life still problematic, but thats something we all live with i suppose.
Advertisement
25-06-2012, 17:43   #62
TeddyTedson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Fontane View Post
I am much more practical when it comes to these things. I moved from a 3gs to a samsung nexus s about 2 years ago and got a SIII last week.

What puts these ahead for me are three things. small things, I suppose, but massive to me.

1. Maps. I travel a fair bit and use the maps function alot. basically you find a restaurant you like in france and press navigate. It brings you to the door. The gps function is brilliant. I'm sure you can pay for this on a 4s, but its free on the samsung. I use it nearly daily, never get lost - basically its a free garmin.

2. Personal hotspot - I have an ipad, not a 3g one. not a problem, just turn on the personal hotspot and off I go. Particularly brilliant when abroad (making sure I keep within 50mb a day with VF)

3. Back ups - I have my own business and I backup my server on a weekly basis on my phone. I am not the most IT savvy person in the world, but I just plug it in, press backup, and dump the info on my phone. Same with music, movies and anything else. A small thing but great for me.

Until those three things are on Apple, I'm not on an apple phone. As you can see I have an Ipad and they are utterly amazing - a total game changer. But I have different needs for a mobile phone and Apple cannot meet them....

my two cents.
This first 2 I could do on my 4S and I never tried the third option so I'm nt sure.

Hmmmm, that video of a guy playing N64 games is quite...nice!
I might have to reevaluate here.
25-06-2012, 20:00   #63
whiterebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ads by Google View Post
As Ive pointed out before, creating a private wpa wifi network using the phone and setting up an ftp server allowing anyone else to join it and share files. Try sharing your iphone music.
Or just the simple fact that you can have about 10 different shells with really useful and beautiful homescreens..
Or copying any video file onto the phone and it playing out of the box.

Android is like the grownup phone for people who want better functionality with low cost over a brand image. None of my 25yrs+ friends have iphones.. They've had them before and have moved on.
Music/film sharing was never going to happen with Apple products while they have the relationship they do with the Music companies. They have deliberately crippled Bluetooth to this end as well. Its not something that Apple have forgotten about or have on their to-do list.
25-06-2012, 20:04   #64
threein99

Anyone got a link to any screen protectors for this ?
25-06-2012, 21:52   #65
Johnny_Fontane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyTedson View Post
This first 2 I could do on my 4S and I never tried the third optione.
no turn by turn voice navigation on 4s without paying. I understood that only jailbroken iPhones could open up an open hotspot.

The real key for me is the fact that you can dump anything on it at any time from any machine.
Advertisement
26-06-2012, 10:21   #66
_Kaiser_

I'm on my 4th (5th if you count the temporary Galaxy Mini I was using a few weeks ago ) android now and would never consider an iPhone.

I've owned the original HTC Desire, Desire HD, Galaxy S2, (Galaxy Mini), and now a Galaxy Note.. all fantastic (in their day) phones and the GS2 would still be (imo) a very good phone even now.

As others have said it's the ability to change practically everything about it that appeals to me (yes I work in IT, but my nerdy days are more-or-less behind me now ).

Don't like the interface? No problem.. change it
Don't like the keyboard? No problem.. change it
Crap wireless reception? No problem.. change the kernel/radio
Sick of ads in apps/games.. No problem.. get an ad blocker
Sick of the phone itself? Want a bigger screen/more features but keep your apps and launcher etc.. No problem, there's an Android phone in every size/spec/price point you can think of
etc etc etc...

Now admittedly you will only get the most out of the phone by rooting it and installing custom ROMs - which does require patience, the ability to follow instructions , and some trial and error .. but once you do that, you're sorted!

I currently run KingDroid 3 ICS ROM on my Note with the Launcher 7 Windows Phone-style interface (suits my stubby fingers better!) and I love it.. the bigger size (5.3" screen) is something you get used to after a day and I can already tell it'll be hard if I go back to anything smaller in the future.

For balance though.. I also have a Windows Phone for work and (as above) I like the launcher, but the lack of customisation (I hate the keyboard for example) and basic settings that are missing from it are a massive downfall of the phone in my opinion. WP8 looks better but the fact that it's not going to be backwards compatible (I know there's a 7.8 update planned that will bring the interface to the older handsets but I mean more the new features like Bitlocker and so on that won't work) is going to be a massive problem for them imo.

I've also played with the iPhone 4 a fair bit and like the Windows version it's even more restrictive. iTunes sucks. It's tiny, there's the infamous wi-fi reception issue and compared to Android and even MS's interface it feels dated with rows of static icons.

But definitely try all of them out and see which you prefer yourself.
26-06-2012, 10:25   #67
sink

Send a message via MSN to sink
I'm a techie and I have an iPhone 4S, before that I had a 3GS and before that the original iPhone. I'm pretty well tied in to the ecosystem now and would have to sacrifice a lot to change.

I don't think it's fair to say iOS is for people who have never had a smart phone before. I use my iPhone for many things I have apps for banking, for remote desktop, for NZBs. I use it with my bluetooth headphones and car stereo, with TomTom sat nav and my Sonos hifi system. I also use iTunes music match. There is little more I would want it to do that not just gimmicky. Sure android has more customisability but what good is that if it's of no real use to you?

That said if I was buying my first smartphone today, I would likely go for a Galaxy S3, but in a years time I would say a Nokia running Windows Phone 8 would be my preference.
27-06-2012, 02:52   #68
Ads by Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink View Post
I use my iPhone for many things I have apps for banking, for remote desktop, for NZBs. I use it with my bluetooth headphones and car stereo, with TomTom sat nav and my Sonos hifi system. I also use iTunes music match. There is little more I would want it to do that not just gimmicky. Sure android has more customisability but what good is that if it's of no real use to you?
I don't think anyone said Android is no real use.. You make it sound like a customisable 3210.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion