Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4s or Galaxy SIII

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Had both, infinitely prefer Android to iOS and Samsung products to Apple. Sister has a 4S and I can't see how it even touches the SIII in terms of performance or even looks. If you're prepared to wait, I'd say you'd be more fairly comparing the SIII to the 5.

Frankly I think the iPhones are overpriced and oversimplified compared to their Android-running brethren. You're paying an extra €100 for a brand and the knowledge Apple will tell you exactly what you want from a phone as opposed to letting you do that yourself.
    Over simplified?
    You mean it's a negative that they're so easy to use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Over simplified?

He means you can't do as much with them. Android offers advanced users a lot more for their money. Apple is geared towards someone who has never had a smart phone before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Had both, infinitely prefer Android to iOS and Samsung products to Apple. Sister has a 4S and I can't see how it even touches the SIII in terms of performance or even looks. If you're prepared to wait, I'd say you'd be more fairly comparing the SIII to the 5.

Frankly I think the iPhones are overpriced and oversimplified compared to their Android-running brethren. You're paying an extra €100 for a brand and the knowledge Apple will tell you exactly what you want from a phone as opposed to letting you do that yourself.

Price for the iPhone 4s and S3 are almost identical on amazon and most Irish provider websites on prepay/sim free. Also all the android users seem to avoid all mention of the jailbreak word which allows you customise the iPhone to their hearts content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Over simplified?
    dorgasm wrote: »
    He means you can't do as much with them. Android offers advanced users a lot more for their money. Apple is geared towards someone who has never had a smart phone before.

Basically what he said. If you're coming off iOS and into Android (I went from a 3GS to an SGS) it takes a little while to get used to but you really can do so much more with it, even unrooted, in comparison. I don't know how ICS compares to the latest version of iOS (haven't used my sister's phone recently) but compared to Gingerbread it's a lot more new-user friendly. I just don't see why, once you get over the initial learning curve you'd ever even consider going back.

Can people give me some examples of what they do with their androids that is not possible with an iPhone.
    I think saying that iPhones being geared towards people who've never used a smart phone before is a bit ridiculous.

As Ive pointed out before, creating a private wpa wifi network using the phone and setting up an ftp server allowing anyone else to join it and share files. Try sharing your iphone music.
    Or just the simple fact that you can have about 10 different shells with really useful and beautiful homescreens..
    Or copying any video file onto the phone and it playing out of the box.

Android is like the grownup phone for people who want better functionality with low cost over a brand image. None of my 25yrs+ friends have iphones.. They've had them before and have moved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

Can people give me some examples of what they do with their androids that is not possible with an iPhone.
    I think saying that iPhones being geared towards people who've never used a smart phone before is a bit ridiculous.

Saw this over on another thread and just had to share it. Have not got anywhere near using any of this functionality/connectivity, but it is a good demonstration of what can be done with an android that is not possible with an iPhone [EDIT: AFAIK - correct me if I'm wrong..]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46IiRyigUH0

Original post is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I am much more practical when it comes to these things. I moved from a 3gs to a samsung nexus s about 2 years ago and got a SIII last week.

What puts these ahead for me are three things. small things, I suppose, but massive to me.

1. Maps. I travel a fair bit and use the maps function alot. basically you find a restaurant you like in france and press navigate. It brings you to the door. The gps function is brilliant. I'm sure you can pay for this on a 4s, but its free on the samsung. I use it nearly daily, never get lost - basically its a free garmin.

2. Personal hotspot - I have an ipad, not a 3g one. not a problem, just turn on the personal hotspot and off I go. Particularly brilliant when abroad (making sure I keep within 50mb a day with VF)

3. Back ups - I have my own business and I backup my server on a weekly basis on my phone. I am not the most IT savvy person in the world, but I just plug it in, press backup, and dump the info on my phone. Same with music, movies and anything else. A small thing but great for me.

Until those three things are on Apple, I'm not on an apple phone. As you can see I have an Ipad and they are utterly amazing - a total game changer. But I have different needs for a mobile phone and Apple cannot meet them....

my two cents.

The other thing about the SIII,

very quick phone, but not seeing any huge leaps (I know these are hard) over my nexus s. speed wise yes, but the additions they are advertising are mostly gimmicks in my opinion.

Yes its large, but really thats a non issue, its very very slim and light.

Battery life still problematic, but thats something we all live with i suppose.

• Advertisement

I am much more practical when it comes to these things. I moved from a 3gs to a samsung nexus s about 2 years ago and got a SIII last week.

What puts these ahead for me are three things. small things, I suppose, but massive to me.

1. Maps. I travel a fair bit and use the maps function alot. basically you find a restaurant you like in france and press navigate. It brings you to the door. The gps function is brilliant. I'm sure you can pay for this on a 4s, but its free on the samsung. I use it nearly daily, never get lost - basically its a free garmin.

2. Personal hotspot - I have an ipad, not a 3g one. not a problem, just turn on the personal hotspot and off I go. Particularly brilliant when abroad (making sure I keep within 50mb a day with VF)

3. Back ups - I have my own business and I backup my server on a weekly basis on my phone. I am not the most IT savvy person in the world, but I just plug it in, press backup, and dump the info on my phone. Same with music, movies and anything else. A small thing but great for me.

Until those three things are on Apple, I'm not on an apple phone. As you can see I have an Ipad and they are utterly amazing - a total game changer. But I have different needs for a mobile phone and Apple cannot meet them....

my two cents.
    This first 2 I could do on my 4S and I never tried the third option so I'm nt sure.

Hmmmm, that video of a guy playing N64 games is quite...nice!
    I might have to reevaluate here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

As Ive pointed out before, creating a private wpa wifi network using the phone and setting up an ftp server allowing anyone else to join it and share files. Try sharing your iphone music.
    Or just the simple fact that you can have about 10 different shells with really useful and beautiful homescreens..
    Or copying any video file onto the phone and it playing out of the box.

Android is like the grownup phone for people who want better functionality with low cost over a brand image. None of my 25yrs+ friends have iphones.. They've had them before and have moved on.

Music/film sharing was never going to happen with Apple products while they have the relationship they do with the Music companies. They have deliberately crippled Bluetooth to this end as well. Its not something that Apple have forgotten about or have on their to-do list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone got a link to any screen protectors for this ?

This first 2 I could do on my 4S and I never tried the third optione.

no turn by turn voice navigation on 4s without paying. I understood that only jailbroken iPhones could open up an open hotspot.

The real key for me is the fact that you can dump anything on it at any time from any machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm on my 4th (5th if you count the temporary Galaxy Mini I was using a few weeks ago :)) android now and would never consider an iPhone.

I've owned the original HTC Desire, Desire HD, Galaxy S2, (Galaxy Mini), and now a Galaxy Note.. all fantastic (in their day) phones and the GS2 would still be (imo) a very good phone even now.

As others have said it's the ability to change practically everything about it that appeals to me (yes I work in IT, but my nerdy days are more-or-less behind me now :)).

Don't like the interface? No problem.. change it
    Don't like the keyboard? No problem.. change it
    Crap wireless reception? No problem.. change the kernel/radio
    Sick of ads in apps/games.. No problem.. get an ad blocker
    Sick of the phone itself? Want a bigger screen/more features but keep your apps and launcher etc.. No problem, there's an Android phone in every size/spec/price point you can think of
    etc etc etc...

Now admittedly you will only get the most out of the phone by rooting it and installing custom ROMs - which does require patience, the ability to follow instructions :), and some trial and error .. but once you do that, you're sorted!

I currently run KingDroid 3 ICS ROM on my Note with the Launcher 7 Windows Phone-style interface (suits my stubby fingers better!) and I love it.. the bigger size (5.3" screen) is something you get used to after a day and I can already tell it'll be hard if I go back to anything smaller in the future.

For balance though.. I also have a Windows Phone for work and (as above) I like the launcher, but the lack of customisation (I hate the keyboard for example) and basic settings that are missing from it are a massive downfall of the phone in my opinion. WP8 looks better but the fact that it's not going to be backwards compatible (I know there's a 7.8 update planned that will bring the interface to the older handsets but I mean more the new features like Bitlocker and so on that won't work) is going to be a massive problem for them imo.

I've also played with the iPhone 4 a fair bit and like the Windows version it's even more restrictive. iTunes sucks. It's tiny, there's the infamous wi-fi reception issue and compared to Android and even MS's interface it feels dated with rows of static icons.

But definitely try all of them out and see which you prefer yourself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm a techie and I have an iPhone 4S, before that I had a 3GS and before that the original iPhone. I'm pretty well tied in to the ecosystem now and would have to sacrifice a lot to change.

I don't think it's fair to say iOS is for people who have never had a smart phone before. I use my iPhone for many things I have apps for banking, for remote desktop, for NZBs. I use it with my bluetooth headphones and car stereo, with TomTom sat nav and my Sonos hifi system. I also use iTunes music match. There is little more I would want it to do that not just gimmicky. Sure android has more customisability but what good is that if it's of no real use to you?

That said if I was buying my first smartphone today, I would likely go for a Galaxy S3, but in a years time I would say a Nokia running Windows Phone 8 would be my preference.

• Advertisement

sink wrote: »
    I use my iPhone for many things I have apps for banking, for remote desktop, for NZBs. I use it with my bluetooth headphones and car stereo, with TomTom sat nav and my Sonos hifi system. I also use iTunes music match. There is little more I would want it to do that not just gimmicky. Sure android has more customisability but what good is that if it's of no real use to you?

I don't think anyone said Android is no real use.. You make it sound like a customisable 3210. :P

Advertisement