Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fingal Housing List

Options
  • 18-02-2014 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All, I just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone has recently been offered a property from Fingal County Council.

I myself have been on the list 6 years and hope to be getting close to an offer, I inquired with Fingal coco in December and was informed that I was 150 on the list.

Does anyone know how long the list is and how long has anyone that was recently offered a property waiting.

Also what areas/housing estates are being currently offered?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cocacola1

Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

drive around any council estate and see whats boarded up, that's pretty much whats on offer.

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    drive around any council estate and see whats boarded up, that's pretty much whats on offer.

True but I'm hoping for ghost estates to become available and the whole legislation around that 10% of new developments be made council.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

cocacola1 wrote: »
    True but I'm hoping for ghost estates to become available and the whole legislation around that 10% of new developments be made council.

150 on the list will pass pretty quickly I wouldn't be holding my breath for new developments also as far as I know they can pay a fee instead of the 10%.

I don't think there are any ghost estates in fingal either

Mr.McLovin wrote: »
    150 on the list will pass pretty quickly I wouldn't be holding my breath for new developments also as far as I know they can pay a fee instead of the 10%.

I don't think there are any ghost estates in fingal either

I hope it does, there's a huge lack of housing and absolutely NOTHING to rent so I may stay in my overcrowded quarters for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I hope it does, there's a huge lack of housing and absolutely NOTHING to rent so I may stay in my overcrowded quarters for now.

No Ghost estates in Fingal. I've been hunting for a house to rent for weeks now and may have finally got some luck yesterday, it's mental at the moment with things being snapped up.

Lack of new developments the issue afaik, the only new places being built are on the back of Applewood and Glen Ellen and they are not for council use. I know Kinsealy has a mix of both private and council lettings, but with the market booming some landlords are obviously opting for the private tenant rather then lease to council.

Is there not someone in social welfare or some department that can give specifics on availabilities and stuff? I know a cousin of mine in the same boat, aiting for council housing in the Fingal area, seems she can get ZERO specifics from anywhere. You'd think they could outline where the availability is.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

TheDoc wrote: »

Is there not someone in social welfare or some department that can give specifics on availabilities and stuff? I know a cousin of mine in the same boat, aiting for council housing in the Fingal area, seems she can get ZERO specifics from anywhere. You'd think they could outline where the availability is.

Here the problem there's feck all stock available at any one time if there's been no new council property build in the last few years your left waiting for a property to become vacant and be made available ,
    Where in the early 80's you literally had 100's of house's available in new built estates across Dublin ,
    Your cousin should look into the choice based letting system run by councils where you can access a website from Tuesday - Friday that lists what's currently available to suit you housing needs ,
    She/he would also be able to apply for private housing association housing too on the same list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sjoh123

Hi I have also been advised that I am 520 on fingal's housing list. I received a letter in January sayin that I can also be housed using a lease of 10years. So it's up to them which they provide. Which is not what ideally I'd like as I want housing security for my family. And no more moving around. Did you get that letter? I've been on the waiting list 4 years and I'm waiting on a 3 bed house.

Sjoh123 wrote: »
    Hi I have also been advised that I am 520 on fingal's housing list. I received a letter in January sayin that I can also be housed using a lease of 10years. So it's up to them which they provide. Which is not what ideally I'd like as I want housing security for my family. And no more moving around. Did you get that letter? I've been on the waiting list 4 years and I'm waiting on a 3 bed house.

Yep got that too, I would not take the RAS scheme personally as it provides no such stability if the landlord sells and gives you no opportunity to buy at a later stage, basically the RAS scheme is just rent allowance but paid by the council, at the moment we are all well aware that there is a shortage of new housing and renting is not an option because of low rent supplement coupled with increasing rent as the current workforce with no children are still unable to obtain mortgages and therefore have to rent making the rental market a landlords paradise as they can increase rents as they like.

Can I just ask what area are you in because one of my biggest fears is being offered a property in an area where I will be socially isolated.

At the moment I have heard of houses being offered in my area and I inquired about them and even took it to a local TD, it's frustrating because I am in double figures on the list but not in the official "offer zone" and by the time I will be in the offer zone (no more than a year I'm guessing) these properties will all be allocated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sjoh123

Yep got that too, I would not take the RAS scheme personally as it provides no such stability if the landlord sells and gives you no opportunity to buy at a later stage, basically the RAS scheme is just rent allowance but paid by the council, at the moment we are all well aware that there is a shortage of new housing and renting is not an option because of low rent supplement coupled with increasing rent as the current workforce with no children are still unable to obtain mortgages and therefore have to rent making the rental market a landlords paradise as they can increase rents as they like.

Can I just ask what area are you in because one of my biggest fears is being offered a property in an area where I will be socially isolated.

At the moment I have heard of houses being offered in my area and I inquired about them and even took it to a local TD, it's frustrating because I am in double figures on the list but not in the official "offer zone" and by the time I will be in the offer zone (no more than a year I'm guessing) these properties will all be allocated.

Im 520 on the list for Balbriggan, then 820 on the list for swords. I changed my other two choices to Dublin city council. So I'm waiting to hear from them. I'm living in lusk so either way I will have to move but Balbriggan would be closest. Which is a shame as we are very settled here and ideally would like to stay here. It's a case now of take what your given, I also hear you have only two refusals then your put to back of list again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sjoh123 wrote: »
    I also hear you have only two refusals then your put to back of list again.

Two refusals will result in been removed the the housing list for 12months and then kicked to the back again

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

i believe that if you go homeless and live in a homeless shelter for 6 months you will get emergency council housing longterm

worth consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

theenergy wrote: »
    i believe that if you go homeless and live in a homeless shelter for 6 months you will get emergency council housing longterm

worth consideration
    Spoken Mike someone who's never slept in a homeless shelter for 6 months I suspect!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

TheDoc wrote: »
    You'd think they could outline where the availability is.

Cop on.

Availability happens because an existing tenant moves away, or dies. Do really think they can be saying "ahh well, we have 10 people aged 80+" in XXX, so there's a 70% chance we'll have one house coming up there in the next 12 months".

Cue a storm of angry octogenarians proclaiming that they don't live according to probabilities.

(NB all numbers made up, I have no idea what the actual death rate for 80+s in Ireland is - but I'm sure a demographer does so the councils could work thiis out at a very broad level.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I quick look at daft for dublin 15 there are a few three bed semis still for rent. I Dont know if agents leave them.up still after renting but it does appear to be house s still for rent.

I quick look at daft for dublin 15 there are a few three bed semis still for rent. I Dont know if agents leave them.up still after renting but it does appear to be house s still for rent.
    Very few compared to 3 years ago. Almost none will take rent supplement and sure why would they when the DSP can arbitrarily cut the rates and expect the landlord to suck it up.

I did receive rent allowance for two years but I gave it up as I want to work, I'm still in the bracket to receive a council house but make too much money for rent allowance and would NEVER be accepted for a mortgage for even 100,000 as a single mother who works part time, complete catch 22.

I did receive rent allowance for two years but I gave it up as I want to work, I'm still in the bracket to receive a council house but make too much money for rent allowance and would NEVER be accepted for a mortgage for even 100,000 as a single mother who works part time, complete catch 22.
    In modern Ireland, there's your mistake right there! System sucks. Looks after the wrong people too well and neglects people who should be encouraged. We'll regret these policies of promoting an underclass some day.

murphaph wrote: »
    In modern Ireland, there's your mistake right there! System sucks. Looks after the wrong people too well and neglects people who should be encouraged. We'll regret these policies of promoting an underclass some day.

So true, unfortunately the government doesn't see single parents as a problem, they are mainly concerned with getting people off jobseekers and into the workforce. So here comes a lost generation where the rich are protected and anyone under that line have no hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It was announced at the weekend that RA is being overhauled massively this year to stop it being a disincentive to work

• Advertisement
Advertisement