Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof scam? - Urgent help pls

Options
  • 01-08-2014 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

A "roofing contractor" called on spec to my parents today asking if they needed work done. By chance they did have a small repair job but when the contractor began work, they apparently found around 100 broken tiles which needed replacement. In replacing these (there and then) they found an underlying problem which requires a near total roof replacement. They asked for a total of 4k for the first phase of the work (completed on the day) and are now doing the bigger job which will be done in 1 day and costing another 14k. They gave a leaflet listing a company with addresses in Cork, Dublin and Limerick and have a legitimate looking website. My parents unbelievably went to the bank today and withdrew 4k in cash which they paid and are waiting on the contractors to arrive tomorrow, expecting to pay the balance. The roof is now part exposed so repairs are urgent, either way.

I presume this is a scam, has anyone heard of anything similar? Or know what the approx. cost of this type of job would be (big roof, 2000 sq ft bungalow) Even if damage was legitimate I cannot see how any 2 day job could cost this much? (4 men on site today, 6 tomorrow)

I am happy to PM company name. Any helpful suggestions appreciated, I am very worried about this as they are coming back in early morn and parents are very vulnerable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm surprised you're even giving this a second thought! Tell the contractors that you'll be getting the roof surveyed independently, and will find someone else to do any necessary work. Have someone with your parents when they call, as moral support and back up.

And be prepared to call the Gards if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Pm company name and area. Cold calling people sounds strange tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No reputable roofing contractor I know of would cold call customers. There's been reports of scam artists hitting the elderly in North Cork City lately. Are your parents in that area?

DO NOT PAY THEM UPFRONT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

As a carpenter who has spent the best part of 10 years doing roofs I can honestly say stay as far away as you can from these guys. When they call again send them back where they came from, as said previously have support for your parents there and be prepared to call the gardai. If the roof is exposed a little a decent tradesman will seal it up again easily and reasonably for I'd say no more than a days wages for 2, max 400 euro.

I have re tiled and re slated numerous roofs with the occasional rafter needing replacement, Very rarely have I seen a whole roof needing replacement, unless the house was derelict.

Again do not part with any more money.

Ask for a vat receipt for the 4k that was given. Ask for insurance to be produced, ask to see previous jobs hat they carried out. I'd doubt you will b supplied with any.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thanks for all the replies. This is actually in the South suburbs but this lot claim to be from Mallow. Obviously I think its a scam but the website is surprisingly professional looking which seems like a touch of sophistication you wouldn't expect from this type of scam. That said apart from the website i can find no other reference to the firm on the internet. (good or bad).

I think I will call the local gardai to see if they know anything. Given these guys got money yesterday I actually doubt they'll turn up ever again. Big priority now will be finding someone to keep the roof waterproofed until somebody professional is around to rectify matters (next week presumably).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Yeah call the Guards would be good idea

Scammers who are making a profit would have no problem forking out cash to create a legitimate looking website.Its a investment in a way they give people their card you go look at the website and all seems legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Thanks for all the replies. This is actually in the South suburbs but this lot claim to be from Mallow. Obviously I think its a scam but the website is surprisingly professional looking which seems like a touch of sophistication you wouldn't expect from this type of scam. That said apart from the website i can find no other reference to the firm on the internet. (good or bad).

I think I will call the local gardai to see if they know anything. Given these guys got money yesterday I actually doubt they'll turn up ever again. Big priority now will be finding someone to keep the roof waterproofed until somebody professional is around to rectify matters (next week presumably).

If they do return make sure you get the reg of any vehicles they are using !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

OHH your poor parents jes did they give them the money.. Most defiantly do not give them any money even for the work they done say they are going to report them and sod off. Sounds like a scam defiantly, all of the above is good advice special about the VAT invoices and they should have a company number to track them..

Don't suppose the chap who called was a burly kinda heavy set man? We had this chap call to the house before (my dad is a contractor) and anywho he called and asked for Dad I said he wasn't in. He was a heavy man, black hair looked dyed, and I think he had an English accent. Anywho I asked what message to leave as he looked well dodgey so he said he knew dad from a few years ago and he wanted to know if he had any work that he needed done and mentioned a tar machine that he had. I was like wtf, complete chancer the tar machine was stolen by a local gang of travellers and whatever way he put it he more or less suggested it was them who took it.. Very odd man he left a card for tar and paving driveways..

Post up the company name most even just to warn others

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

Milly33 wrote: »
    OHH your poor parents jes did they give them the money.. Most defiantly do not give them any money even for the work they done say they are going to report them and sod off. Sounds like a scam defiantly, all of the above is good advice special about the VAT invoices and they should have a company number to track them..

Don't suppose the chap who called was a burly kinda heavy set man? We had this chap call to the house before (my dad is a contractor) and anywho he called and asked for Dad I said he wasn't in. He was a heavy man, black hair looked dyed, and I think he had an English accent. Anywho I asked what message to leave as he looked well dodgey so he said he knew dad from a few years ago and he wanted to know if he had any work that he needed done and mentioned a tar machine that he had. I was like wtf, complete chancer the tar machine was stolen by a local gang of travellers and whatever way he put it he more or less suggested it was them who took it.. Very odd man he left a card for tar and paving driveways..

Post up the company name most even just to warn others
    Don't think you're allowed post names on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

A relative got caught in this kind of thing the year before last. His roof actually was in an awful state (rain pouring through with tons of rot) and he ended up paying many thousands to have it repaired. He paid enough to have the work done properly and professionally however, the 'contractor' pretty much just did enough to make it appear as if he had completed the repairs but when it started leaking again almost immediately, it came out that he'd barely done anything to the roof all. The roof had to be knocked and rebuilt and should have been from the word go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

It probably isn't even there website!

There probably using the name of a reputable company they found online, and had some business cards printed out to match!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

there was an insulation scam as well. They were offering to pump beaded insulation in between your cavity walls. But they only did a half arsed job. It didnt fill up the cavity properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Common scam, especially in the UK. Featured on Watchdog a good few times. A person comes to fix a small enough job at first, then purposely breaks or damages stuff so you pay out more by the end of it all. Stay well away and inform the Guards. Definitely get their van reg no. too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Thanks for all the posts. Just to confirm this was a scam. We managed to fire the scammers but not before they cost my parents a fortune. We had an engineer and other reputable roofer look at it and each confirmed there had been no need for any work to start with. Moreover the new roof wasn't being fitted properly at all at all - they weren't even fixing the new tiles to the roof, just laying them. Thus my parents were paying for a new roof but would have had problems galore. Unfortunately they still need a new roof now (the scammers basically broke a huge roof's worth of good tiles) but it will be done properly.

You live and learn....... The scary thing was how reasonable the scammers were to talk to (they didn't panic when confronted and welcomed the involvement of an engineer) and the quality of their pamphlets and website. This was much more sophisticated than you'd expect from such a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Great to hear that they got caught but shame to hear your parents did also..Did ye report them to the guards or get the guards involved..

The scammers know what they are doing arseholes, I am sure they would have soon your parents the roof after they done the damage to say oh yeah that needs to be fixed... Really horrible to think people do things like this to others... I hope karma comes and takes a right chunk out of them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

man you should go on joe duffy about that. let the general public know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

You still havent posted the company name or website.
    if its a scam then people need to know who they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You live and learn.......
    Not everybody needs to make this mistake for themselves.
    There have been tons of posts and chat online about this sort of thing going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

h2005 wrote: »
    Don't think you're allowed post names on here.

given the fact that now we know it was a scam I think the OP is entitled to post the name, sure look at Success Corcaigh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭h2005

given the fact that now we know it was a scam I think the OP is entitled to post the name, sure look at Success Corcaigh :)

Without a conviction I doubt the mods will allow it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

This scam has been running in Limerick too. The guards know about it. Each van that the contractors has a different name too.

The simple solution is not to let any tradesman call to your house to inspect it or do work without you contacting them first. Cold calls are too often scams.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

For good work you have to hunt the tradesman.
    For bad work they hunt you.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I would never hire any stranger who comes to the door offering to do jobs like that.This guy came to my door a few weeks ago selling matresses.I declined as I just don't trust people like that full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I would never hire any stranger who comes to the door offering to do jobs like that.This guy came to my door a few weeks ago selling matresses.I declined as I just don't trust people like that full stop.

tell him you need to sleep on it...boom boom :D (sorry, I couldn't resist!)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chippy81

Been asked today to repair a roof after more cold calling scam artists left it in a state. Around cobh area at the moment. Anyone else had them call lately? Just to be aware

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sighmo

They were in Carrigaline the past few days as well. They called to my parents and went up on a section of flat roof before coming back down with some rotten felt (which I assume they brought up with them) and quoting 2.5k to fix it there and then. Thankfully my mother arrived on the scene and sent them packing. But guess what? Next day they returned when my mothers car was gone. My Dad rang her, she scooted back home and ran them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Do not name the company. To be fair the crowd may not be from the company that own the website at all. I recently had a chap call to me claiming to be from a certain company and gave me a flier, website address etc of the company. He told me that he was the owner of the company etc and came across as really believable. The only reason that I knew it was a scam is because I was friends with the owner of the company. Thankfully the Guards caught up with the scam artist before he could do any damage to the company name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Something similar happened in Ballinlough this year as well. My neighbour was charged €12,000! They've been preying on the elderly here, such a shame.

Also they had no scaffolding, no name/number on their van, looked like a bunch of cowboys. They weren't Irish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Travellers chancing the arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

homingbird wrote: »
    Travellers chancing the arm.

What evidence do you have to back up that statement?
    Were you approached by these people?

Advertisement