Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting my car to the NCT

Options
  • 19-02-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi Everyone, I have a car going in for NCT on Friday however my mechanic cant make it and I need to get the car to the test centre, silly question but I assume I'm not legal if I drive it to the centre with only insurance. Thing is its been off the road nearly a year hence no tax, can I tax it without NCT?

I just want to be legal and safe with this and not take chances, and a recovery vehicle is gonna cost me €200 to transport .

C

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

You can tax it without an NCT. You can NCT it without tax.

Having tax or NCT doesn't mean your car is any safer than without.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Just as long as you dont get stopped you should be fine, even if you did get stopped Im sure most coppers would give you the benefit of the doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

more importantly is a car with no nct covered under your insurance policy on the way to the nct center?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

more importantly is a car with no nct covered under your insurance policy on the way to the nct center?

Good point !! I mean I can call the insurance guys and ask them to change from my current car to the one that needs to be NCT'd, but if I have any issues along the way more than likely I'm shafted?

Its looking more like a tow truck :(

JHMEG wrote: »
    You can tax it without an NCT. You can NCT it without tax.

Having tax or NCT doesn't mean your car is any safer than without.

Perhaps, but the thousands of mechanics are doing it everyday here... apparrently they are covered to do this, any mechanics care to comment on this?

• Advertisement

CPG wrote: »
    Perhaps, but the thousands of mechanics are doing it everyday here... apparrently they are covered to do this, any mechanics care to comment on this?
    A lot more joe soaps are doing it.

I've never heard of insurance being void because of no NCT, but only your insurance company can answer that for definite.

How would you be more shafted? Your insurance is either valid or not.

Why are you bothering to NCT a car that's off the road?

If you are afraid to drive it yourself just don't show up. Renting a tow truck is silly.

A lot more joe soaps are doing it.

I've never heard of insurance being void because of no NCT, but only your insurance company can answer that for definite.

How would you be more shafted? Your insurance is either valid or not.

Why are you bothering to NCT a car that's off the road?

If you are afraid to drive it yourself just don't show up. Renting a tow truck is silly.

On your first point , your correct I'll call Mr Quinn

How would I be more shafted? Car may be insured, but there is always fine print hence the first point.

Why am I bothering to NCT a car thats off the road? You are asking a question with very little information regarding my situation, I want to NCT it so I can sell it. :confused:

Can you explain whey renting a tow truck is silly if there is no other legal option ?

I'm looking for useful answers not unnecessary questions, but thanks a mill for your help anyway.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not by law - insurer specific. Most insurers have their own definition of roadworthy and ignore the NCTs definition at that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Can you explain whey renting a tow truck is silly if there is no other legal option ?

Rearrange NCT for when your mechanic is available - there will be charge for a no show, but not nearly as much as the cost of renting a tow truck.

How would I be more shafted? Car may be insured, but there is always fine print hence the first point.
    Are you not able to read the fine print?

You have three options as far as I can see:
    1. Switch your insurance.
    2. Just don't go, and wait till your mechanic is available.
    3. Or just get someone who is insured to drive it. Lots of people are. I could drive it -- I am insured on any car I don't own, as well as the one named specifically on my policy, which I do own.

All 3 are a lot cheaper than a tow truck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I think OP's point is the car has no tax, regardless of your insurance if the car isn't taxed then its on the road illegally and liable for the penalties that go with that. If a mechanic is driving it without tax then in theory he should have his trade plates with him in the car to cover it.

Are you not able to read the fine print?

You have three options as far as I can see:
    1. Switch your insurance.
    2. Just don't go, and wait till your mechanic is available.
    3. Or just get someone who is insured to drive it. Lots of people are. I could drive it -- I am insured on any car I don't own, as well as the one named specifically on my policy, which I do own.

All 3 are a lot cheaper than a tow truck.

No i can't read the fine print, I'm legally blind, am I still covered ? :D

Thanks for the advice jhmeg (not been sarcastic) I guess I'll think of something.

Advertisement