Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repairing stone chipping marks

• 31-07-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭

Changed my car recently and while the finish is in very good condition, there are a few chip marks on the bonnet from stones, some quiet deep (white showing through the dark grey paintwork). How do I repair these without ruining the surrounding paintwork, or is it something best left to someone who knows what they're doing? If so, can anyone recommend somewhere that would do a professional job and make it look like new?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

What kind of car is it?

What I do myself is get an aersol can of matching paint, spray a bit into a cup. Then using a toothpick fill in the chip with the paint in the cup.

If there is any rust I put a rust remover gel on first, cover with cling film and leave it until the rust has dissapeared, wash gel off, dry and fill in the chip using the above method.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    What kind of car is it?

What I do myself is get an aersol can of matching paint, spray a bit into a cup. Then using a toothpick fill in the chip with the paint in the cup.

If there is any rust I put a rust remover gel on first, cover with cling film and leave it until the rust has dissapeared, wash gel off, dry and fill in the chip using the above method.

What brand rust remover gel do you use?

What brand rust remover gel do you use?

I've been using bilt hamber deox gel as of recently and so far so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Before you do the toothpick job, level it out using a tiny bit of 2500grit glued on the end of a pencil (where the rubber normally is)

And be patient!

Layers, layers, layers!

myshirt wrote: »
    Before you do the toothpick job, level it out using a tiny bit of 2500grit glued on the end of a pencil (where the rubber normally is)

And be patient!

Layers, layers, layers!

I just fill them in, I don't bother smoothing the edges for fear of damaging the surrounding areas, everyone's different though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

It's an 09 BMW, no rust where its chipped. What would I fill them with?

Wailin wrote: »
    It's an 09 BMW, no rust where its chipped. What would I fill them with?

A toothpick. That's quiet a new car though. Maybe a professional job might be best in this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This is what some of the guys mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    A toothpick. That's quiet a new car though. Maybe a professional job might be best in this situation.

Yeah id be more comfortable letting someone who knows what they're doing at it. Any recommendations?

Advertisement