Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Micra body kit, not covered?

• 14-07-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

hi all, i want to put a small boby kit on my micra,front and back lips,and side lips,2 small spot lights,some chrome styling strips along the door,.i ask my insurer 123.ie was that ok,they said they would not cover a car with such modifacations,anyone know why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

They'd be embarrassed for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

Homer wrote: »
    thanks for that,:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

It might be due to the a boy racer stereotype and they might see you as a higher risk because of the modifications.

Also, higher cost to fix it you were in an accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Don't! Save the money for when you've passed your test and buy something better.

Does it really matter why they won't cover it? They've said no, and they're unlikely to change their minds.

Trust me, they've done you a favour anyway, you'd regret it in a couple of years :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Sounds like something to do with your situation. 123 were going to offer me cover for proper performance modifications recently so unlike a lot of other insurers out there, they don't just blanket no on mods.

It's more than likely your age or experience situation that is dictating it.

Also, please don't, not to a Micra. :P

• Advertisement

folks,i think i better explain a bit more,im 48 years old,the micra is 2 years old,some of them have the kits on already from new,i have the option of a kit for a cheap price,off a 2012 micra,wanted to add 2 small spots,and a few chrome styling strips,dont see why 123.ie said they wont cover me,im with them 4 years,if ye want to see the kit im on about.google 2012 micra with body kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Based on your situation it sounds like you just got a bad rep on the phone. If the body kit comes as a standard option have you told them this?

The words aftermarket scare insurers. If you advise them it's a standard option and will be fit by a qualified mechanic/garage who will give you proof in writing that they are happy with the installation, then you should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

598531_10151210695356234_1819096450_n.jpg
    Impul-Nissan-Micra-1.jpg

Like this?? Have you tried any other insurers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Maybe it's because of how much faster the mods will make the car, are you sure you can even handle the massive amounts of extra schpeed yourself? :pac:

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    598531_10151210695356234_1819096450_n.jpg
    Impul-Nissan-Micra-1.jpg

Like this?? Have you tried any other insurers?
    thanks,but not as OTT as this,the kits are already on,from new,on some 2012 micras,i can get one cheap,that would fit my one.and im already insured with 123,i just asked them would it be ok to do these modifacations.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    Maybe it's because of how much faster the mods will make the car, are you sure you can even handle the massive amounts of extra schpeed yourself? :pac:
    no,im not a speed nut,in fact i rarely go past 80 km ph,:)

just another question,since i have the insurance ,if i put the things on anyway,would that void my policy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭pheelay

sniperman wrote: »
    just another question,since i have the insurance ,if i put the things on anyway,would that void my policy?

I believe it's the assessors that make those decisions in the event of an accident. Do they care about cosmetic mods? Is it worth the risk though?

It sounds to me like a misunderstanding with the agent on the phone. As said above, keywords such as "modification" and "bodykit" will set off alarms. Reiterate that you're having a manufacturer approved factory option fitted. Worst case, offer to get an engineers/roadworthiness report from the mechanic who will fit the kit.

Also check if there is a specific model number for the car with the extra body styling. For example, my car comes has a factory fitted body kit option which adds a "+" to model. MG ZS vs MG ZS+. Insurance companies have both listed but it makes 0 difference to the cost of the policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Mechanics dont fit body kits, They are not mechanical they are bolt on as designed.

OP you are updating the style of your car with OME extras, you are not fitting a body kit where your car will be viewed as a modified vehicle, same way as fitting a new car radio would be not affect insurance.

Call them again and speak to a different person and explain this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

sniperman wrote: »
    hi all, i want to put a small boby kit on my micra,front and back lips,and side lips,2 small spot lights,some chrome styling strips along the door,.i ask my insurer 123.ie was that ok,they said they would not cover a car with such modifacations,anyone know why?

They are underwritten by RSA who wont cover any modifications.

Its at their discretion and they did not renew my policy on a modified car at the end of a policy.

You want the body kit find another insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Homer wrote: »

Funny but this isn't after hours.... Be nice.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

To my understanding, this is not a modification. Unless you are changing wheels, suspension, engine related stuff i would not bother even asking the insurer. Especially when the parts you wish to add are factory fitted to other Micras out there...

peposhi wrote: »
    To my understanding, this is not a modification. Unless you are changing wheels, suspension, engine related stuff i would not bother even asking the insurer. Especially when the parts you wish to add are factory fitted to other Micras out there...
    ya i was thinking the same,im not adding wheels,changing supension,or doing anything to the engine,or putting on a huge body kit.

Advertisement