Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google telly

Options
  • 21-05-2012 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine just got an apple telly device to go with his iPad three. The outstanding feature of it is the screen mirroring, the rest can be performed equally or better on all sorts of dlna devices...

Are Google going to update the Google box? I'd love this feature to work with my Android tablet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Unfortunately not, Apple have recently applied for a patent for "moving images on a screen" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

I was thinking about the same thing doing it in a different way.

Could some one buy a cheap ass tablet or phone and stick it to the back of the TV and connect it to both the USB to keep it charged and through a HDMI cable.

All I would need is a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse to control it. And hopefully find an App that would let me use my Transformer Prime to control it also?

What do ye think? Would this set up work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Nolimits wrote: »
    Unfortunately not, Apple have recently applied for a patent for "moving images on a screen" :(

I thought they already had that patent along with all the others filed under 'stuff that's already in use but heck we are going to patent it if nobody else has'

seriously. My smartphone will mirror stuff on my telly already. Via hdmi and the telly remote even works as a remote control to browse stuff on the phone.
    Great for looking at photos and videos etc.
    Is this what your after?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Nolimits wrote: »

I thought they already had that patent along with all the others filed under 'stuff that's already in use but heck we are going to patent it if nobody else has'

seriously. My smartphone will mirror stuff on my telly already. Via hdmi and the telly remote even works as a remote control to browse stuff on the phone.
    Great for looking at photos and videos etc.
    Is this what your after?
    I'm not interested in hdmi, as it ties you to the telly and ruins the benefits of using a tablet (you'd be better of using a laptop). Any DLNA device will allow you to send images and movies... I want device mirroring, so I can mark up PDFs on screen, open CAD files etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

At the moment this seems to be vendor specific functionality. Apple have it with Air Play and HTC have it using the One series and the HTC Media Link HD device.

I don't think the DLNA standard allows mirroring (only the streaming of video/pictures/music)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

nedd wrote: »
    HTC have it using the One series and the HTC Media Link HD device.
    Didn't know this, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

you have to buy the Media Link HD box that you connect to your TV. Not sure how expensive they are or if they are even available yet.

If you have a HTC One, put 3 fingers on the screen and swipe up. This will start the phone looking for a Media Link HD box.

Advertisement