Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi for large home network

Options
  • 06-04-2015 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was hoping for assistance with a WiFi project I'm doing at home. Currently I have a Eircom D1000 modem that covers the house with WiFi just about. I also have two workshops id like to have WiFi in.
    I do have a set of home-plugs from the house to one shed but its not seamless and the WiFi has to disconnect from the home network and connect to the TP-link home-plug WiFi in the shed.
    I have put together a rough image of the layout of the site. Ideally id like to have WiFi seamlessly when walking and working in each location.

I'm not sure if that means getting a new modem or get another home-plug and configure them differently if possible.
    These are the current modem and home-plugs I'm using
    http://www.eircom.net/accessories/broadband/broadbandtab/D1000/

http://cdn.unwire.hk/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/unwire1012-590x393.jpg
    The site layout:
    Wifi%20Project%20Map.jpg

Any help would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Set up the homeplugs to mimic the SSID of the D1000. So they all use the same SSID and Key, but broadcast on different channels.

How "smart" the clients are at roaming is up to them, but they'll usually jump ship at around 10-20% RSSI(Signal strength).

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Johntm

Thanks I'll look into possibly changing the configuration settings on them then.

I've also only 4 ports on my Eircom modem, is it a wise choice to buy a switch to increase the amount of ports or does a switch slow internet speeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Johntm wrote: »
    Thanks I'll look into possibly changing the configuration settings on them then.

I've also only 4 ports on my Eircom modem, is it a wise choice to buy a switch to increase the amount of ports or does a switch slow internet speeds?

You can daisy chain switches. It won't slow your network but the full switch uplink will be limited to the speed of the port it connects on, which in the case of the Eircom D1000 is only 10/100 Ethernet. You should upgrade to an F1000 (or the brand new F2000) for 10/100/1000 gigabit

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

If you struggle to get it going using power adapters then a couple of Ubiquiti nanostations will sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

Sorry for jumping on this but I have a zyxel P660HNT1A modem with eircom.

I want to boost the wifi to my standalone garage which is about 30m from the house. I tried a plug in netgear connection which I use in my sitting room for the sky box but it doesnt connect to the network in the garage.

What would you recommend getting? Would this work?

Any help would be appreciated. Would the ubiquiti nanostation work?

Thanks

• Advertisement

dricko_lim wrote: »
    What would you recommend getting? Would this work?

No, if it's only 30m run a cat 5 cable. If it's on the same electrical circuit and not an extension you could get away with homeplugs with built in Wi-Fi

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dricko_lim

No, if it's only 30m run a cat 5 cable. If it's on the same electrical circuit and not an extension you could get away with homeplugs with built in Wi-Fi

Its not on the same circuit by the looks of it as there is a trip switch box in the garage? Also, CAT5 wont work.

any other options?

dricko_lim wrote: »
    Its not on the same circuit by the looks of it as there is a trip switch box in the garage? Also, CAT5 wont work.

any other options?

Ok, next best idea is run a cable to an outdoor mounted Nanostation configured as an access point directed at the shed. Realistically you'd need a pair of Nanostations, a second set as station on the shed receiving signal from the access point (point to point link), then cable into the shed and add an access point covering the shed.

Advertisement