Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Player Finally on Android

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Might be a bit late with this but just noticed tonight that RTE Player is now available on Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.RTE.OSMF.Minimal.

Yeah there's been numerous threads already on this and it was mentioned in the apps thread a few weeks ago.
    Great to have it, although after wanting it for years I've barely used it since it came available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Definitely beats side loading flash and using the touch enabled site :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Needs a later version than 2.3.6 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

beauf wrote: »
    Needs a later version than 2.3.6 anyway.

The app page itself says ICS or over, seems like an odd decision on their part.

Easier to make it tablet friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

anything below ICS doesnt support certain screen sizes.

Why youd want a below ics android phone at this stage is beyond me...

listermint wrote: »
    anything below ICS doesnt support certain screen sizes.

Why youd want a below ics android phone at this stage is beyond me...

Like wise why would anyone want below the latest version 4.2.x ...:rolleyes:

From a developer pov you're cutting off 30% of your market/audience by excluding older devices. Most of the time there's nothing in the apps that require the later version either. its just a cost cutting measure by the developer.

They could go further and cut off all versions except the latest one, forcing people to buy a new phone every 6 to 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DrPatrickBarry

I have been using the "TuneIn Radio" app for ages to play RTE Radio.

From a developer pov you're cutting off 30% of your market/audience by excluding older devices. Most of the time there's nothing in the apps that require the later version either. its just a cost cutting measure by the developer.

They could go further and cut off all versions except the latest one, forcing people to buy a new phone every 6 to 12 months.

Yup and that side menu is using fragments which take a bit more effort to use in pre-ics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Developers probably need to aim for their target audience. People still running gingerbread or below on their phones are most likely kids and people who just use the phone for texts and phone calls and therefore unlikely to download the app.

Also if the developer has to take into account pre historic phones won't that affect any the performance of the app on the latest os?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think people fail to grasp that the audience (customers) know that certain applications do not run on older devices thats a fact. So no one is expecting people to go out and buy a 4.2.2 device but you cant expect to support phones that are completely outdated and maintain entirely the level of design UI the is expected in the marketplace.

Google have only started to rationalise cross device type support.

30% of the audience on gingerbread....

Also save the rolls eyes for the school yard.

Why are they there if you can't use them? :D

Unfortunately its not simply older or outdated devices. Its any device that the manufacture (or operator) decides it won't update. Its planned obsolescence. It can be devices bought new today, and hardware well able to run the latest OS.

Unless you have a top end android, or a brand new one, the support lifespan of an android device can be surprising short. Indirectly you are being charged for updates, though needing to buy a new phone, or a top end one.

Well I guess the interesting question here is, as the state public broadcaster, does RTE have a responsibility to ensure their content is available to as wide an audience as possible. If I don't have the cash to upgrade to the latest and greatest phone, should I be excluded from being able to view on that basis.

Just food for thought :)

True. I guess it was a budget and resourcing decision.

Is the app any good. I had stopping using the player website because the whole ads and glitches making it start over were doing my head in. The quality was brutal too. Having such a poor on-line and catch up service will just encourage people to switch to more establish streaming services.

Haven't had a proper play round myself yet with it but had a couple of bugs in the quick look I had, a crash and problems with display on orientation change but I'm sure they'll get there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Well I guess the interesting question here is, as the state public broadcaster, does RTE have a responsibility to ensure their content is available to as wide an audience as possible. If I don't have the cash to upgrade to the latest and greatest phone, should I be excluded from being able to view on that basis.

Just food for thought :)

It'll be interesting to see how the answer that in a years time when we are all paying the new equivalent of the tv licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume there's no Symbian, Windows Phone or Blackberry apps either, and you probably can't get the player if you have a Windows 95 PC - they have limited resources they can't support every version of every operating system.

anyway - watching it on my Google TV box at the moment - its not bad, but is there a way of getting it to go fullscreen? The standard android menu is still at the bottom, and there are bars at the side to maintain the ratio as a result. Netflix, iPlayer etc manage to use the full screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sat_Down

Boys and gals trying to get my head around all of this. have a tizzbird media player and its running on gingerbread is there anyway to get rteplayer working. i can get on the site get the ad playing but then the programme dies just as it is starting. 4OD working perfectly.

any help appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Sat_Down wrote: »
    Boys and gals trying to get my head around all of this. have a tizzbird media player and its running on gingerbread is there anyway to get rteplayer working. i can get on the site get the ad playing but then the programme dies just as it is starting. 4OD working perfectly.

any help appreciated

Gingerbread is very old, doubt the app supports that far back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Sat_Down wrote: »

any help appreciated
    4.0 and newer I'm afraid

ms2dQIb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Time for XBMC and the irish player add-on me thinks.

Advertisement