Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galaxies on a plane!

Options
  • 19-03-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭

I had a long haul flight at the weekend & instead of having TVs in the back of the seats in front, they gave out Samsung Galaxy 10.1" Tablets... It was bazaar, obviously meant as a marketing ploy, but backfired in a big way...
    • they were stitched into the folding covers, so you needed your tray out to place the tablet on
    • no-one could get out of their seat, because the person next to them had their tablet out on the tray
    • they were powered by a car lighter port... the pin couldn't stay in its socket & the Tab kept powering off + there were wires everywhere
    • You only had access to a proprietary app that showed movies and played music, but it was terribly slow - although when playing, the screen looked good
    • the mp3 app kept stalling
    • the stewardess's took ages handing out the things; figuring out how to connect them and turning them on
    • they had to be collected an hour before the end of the flight, so no entertainment for the last hour
    • because they were sown into their covers & ran only an app, you got no idea of what the device was actually like - physically or software wise

Overall it was an awful experience. It really turned me off the device & for this + other reasons I will avoid using that airline again...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

What airline was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    What airline was this?

It was American Airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, to be fair to Samsung, it sounds like it was more to do with the airline's p1ss poor implementation and sounds like it was more of a trial run. I can't imagine the FAA would be too happy it from your description. Surely loose wires and the screens impeding movement would be a safety issue. I know we all use laptops and headphones etc when flying, with wires all over the place but to have an integral part of the plane cabin seat setup that shoddy is shocking. But, I suppose it is AA. AA is a terrible airline. Certainly the worst by a long shot that I've been on. (To call them a long-haul Ryan Air is to do a disservice to Ryan Air) But to get back on topic, I had read that some airlines were experimenting with using tablets but I didn't think it would be that shoddy. I'm sure as time goes on it will be better integrated into the seats with more apps (angry Birds etc) and media functions and bigger remote/local storage for more movies/MP3s. I've not used a Samsung tablet so I can't comment on it (especially a hobbled and probably AA Custom-skinned OS version) but I have used another tablet running ICS and thought it was pretty cool, especially media-wise. (Still can't see the attraction of a tablet over a similarly priced netbook/laptop though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Planes are one of the few places tablets are actually useful. Spent flight this morning reading ebooks on asus transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

srsly78 wrote: »
    Planes are one of the few places tablets are actually useful. Spent flight this morning reading ebooks on asus transformer.

Airoplanes, airports, building sites, meetings, couch... main places where tablets are really useful

• Advertisement
Advertisement