Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

youngs apa dry hopping pellets

Options
  • 20-05-2015 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hi, I've bought a young's APA and i was wondering if i could use a muslin bag for dry hopping the hop pellets. I've dry hopped beforewith pellets but it was a torture when bottling with the filler clogging. will the the bag of hops change the taste of the beer? how exactly do i use the bag?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

liaml1974 wrote: »
    hi, I've bought a young's APA and i was wondering if i could use a muslin bag for dry hopping the hop pellets
    thanks

Yep, just make sure they are not packed to tight

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

will the the bag of hops change the taste of the beer? how exactly do i use the bag?
    thanks

Boil the bag itself in a small pot of water for a few mins, just to make sure there's no nasty surprises in the cloth. - pop the pellets in and fire them into the bucket. (Hop cannon optional :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

the one that come with the apa i jsut threw in loose they will disolve and dont effect the beer. just finsihed my last bottle and it was best kit I did ever without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 liaml1974

Thanks. Really looking forward to this one. Will brew it tonight.

hi, how long does this take to ferment, gravity is at 1025 now. its been in fermenter 7 days. seems a bit slow, i need to put in hops at 1010.
    O.G was 1055
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

hi, how long does this take to ferment, gravity is at 1025 now. its been in fermenter 7 days. seems a bit slow, i need to put in hops at 1010.
    O.G was 1055
    thanks

I'd give it 2 weeks minimum to be sure fermentation is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

O.G was 1055
    thanks

Depends on what type of yeast your useing really

thanks. i just used the yeast that came with the kit. it says on the box "US west coast ale yeast strain"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

thanks. i just used the yeast that came with the kit. it says on the box "US west coast ale yeast strain"

Probably a dry version of this one. http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-california-ale-yeast

thanks i will give it another week

• Advertisement

thanks i will give it another week

Hi guys, my gravity is at 1016 after 2 weeks. Also it has like a thick cream topping on top unlike my other brews . Is this normal for this brew? It's as if the yeast hasn't sunk to the bottom. On videos that I've watched, the brew is clear when dry hopping. If this doesn't drop to the bottom, is it ok to drop in the bag of hops or do I have to wait till it clears?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Hi guys, my gravity is at 1016 after 2 weeks. Also it has like a thick cream topping on top unlike my other brews . Is this normal for this brew? It's as if the yeast hasn't sunk to the bottom. On videos that I've watched, the brew is clear when dry hopping. If this doesn't drop to the bottom, is it ok to drop in the bag of hops or do I have to wait till it clears?

Did you oxygenate much before pitching the yeast? In the early days of brewing I didn't realise the importance of oxygenation, which usually led to slow or stuck fermentation.

Yes, I stirred well throughout the brewing. Plenty of froth when I pitched the yeast. Also the temp is around 21/22

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I've seen plenty of reports that this kit takes 3 weeks to fully ferment so you're still OK most likely. Did they rack onto the pellets in the videos? This would leave it clearer alright.

what you mean "rack on to pellets"? i just saw the pellets being poured into the fermenter straight out of the bag in a youngs ipa video tutorial. the beer was clear at the top unlike mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Racking is transferring (using syphon or tap) your booze from one container (i.e. primary in this case) to another. Gets rid of the yeast trub at the bottom of the beer. I'd say you're fine - it'll drop eventually. I have a white wine that's only just cleared after about a month in the fermenter - was supposed to be a week according to the instructions!

thanks, i just bottle straight from primary, but probably will buy a secondry soon, handy for priming too.

thanks, i just bottle straight from primary, but probably will buy a secondry soon, handy for priming too.

Well, the gravity is down to 1012 but I've still got the creamy top on it. Should I go ahead with the dry hopping or wait until it reaches 1010 as in the instructions. Doesn't look like the topping is going to sink. 3 weeks in fermenter tomorrow. Is it doomed or is there anything I can do to make it clear?

Advertisement