Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Signing of the season so far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

A quarter of the way into his first season, of which Rooney spent a good chunk of it injured. Bit premature for this kind of nonsense, no?

its always entertaining to watch how the ABUs can twist something to beat United up over :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Eirebear wrote: »
    I assume this is a PL thread, but forgive me for branching out.

Fraser Forster signing permanently for Celtic has been massive, figuratively and literally.
    Where's the 'Fraser Forster' option?

Yeah my first reaction when I read the thread title was Forster, what an absolute fcukin steal and to think that Roy took Jack Butland to the Euro's over Fraser its comical, or criminal, whichever way look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cazorla
    Michu is probably one of the best bargains of the past few years. Outstanding player for buttons. Well done to them for getting him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Hazard
    its always entertaining to watch how the ABUs can twist something to beat United up over :cool:

Almost certain I've seen him post in the United thread as a United fan. Usually something a bit controversial, though, if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hazard
    Van Persie for me, if he stays fit all season he'll win the league for them I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sterling ;) when he is able to sign his own contract without his parents next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I think if Michu is there, then Claudio Yacob has to be in there as well. Him and Mulumbu have been outstanding in the middle of the park for West Brom and he's really made a big difference. He was signed for a free transfer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hazard

I've seen Richard Hillman post about United and other PL clubs before, he's grand imo.

I don't agree with his stance on Rooney but it's a genuine opinion that he's entitled to hold. No need to be paranoid and assume somebody is a ABU just because they hold an opinion that you don't agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Shola Ameobi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hazard
    Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Has to be Danny North. Even though he got injured halfway through the season, he still ended up with 15 goals and the second highest scorer in the League. Sligo wouldn't have won it without him.

Yawn.

Back on topic, easily RVP for me, with Michu followed closely by HAzard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oscar
    Think if you're going to look at North, Quigley has to be the better option. He joined a new club halfway through the season and hit the ground running straight away, so much so, that North wasn't missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

You know it's time to unsuscribe from a thread when LOI players start getting a mention.

Hazard
    Rekop dog wrote: »
    You know it's time to unsuscribe from a thread when LOI players start getting a mention.

You mentioned a player from the Bundesliga. How is that any more relevant than what the LOI fans have to say?

You mentioned a player from the Bundesliga. How is that any more relevant than what the LOI fans have to say?

Do you need me to answer that?

Hazard
    Do you need me to answer that?

Yes. There are far more LOI fans here than Bundesliga fans. So please tell us why your post is more relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Hazard
    Kills me to say it as an Arsenal fan but it has to be RVP so far anyway. Hopefully this will change as the season progresses. An honourable mention for Michu. If this had have been asked a month or so ago I would have picked Santi Cazorla, so I think this poll is a bit pre-mature, but will be interesting to compare this to a poll at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Think if you're going to look at North, Quigley has to be the better option. He joined a new club halfway through the season and hit the ground running straight away, so much so, that North wasn't missed.

Quigs was here all year, but he only got going in the second half.

There were rumours he was going to leave in the summer window, and I wasn't too bothered :o (before North got injured). Delighted he stayed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Kagawa (even if he's out injured atm) and Nuri Sahin...who both don't play for Borussia Dortmund anymore :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

In fairness, the OP asked for 'signing of the season'. Not the EPL signing of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Cazorla
    Michu, just because he was so out of left-field.

There was nothing particularly clever or surprising about RVP's move.

He was signed for lots of money. He's a great player. His is playing like one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Didn't he join before the start of the season?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish-soccer-league/2011/1214/288720-quigleym_sligo/

Edit: Just saw Oatsey's comment above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oscar
    My mistake, thought he was brought in to replace North when he got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

My mistake, thought he was brought in to replace North when he got injured.

As Oatsey said above, it's just that he got going when he took over from North. To be honest, I don't think that Quigley should've been in the Team of the Year. Gary Twigg scored 22 league goals and finished as top scorer, outscoring the rest by seven goals or more. Had North played the entire season, I think he'd likely have gotten 25-30 goals.

Who ended up winning Player and Young Player of the Year? I can only seem to find the nominees.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Rojiblancos

Hazard
    As a Utd fan i'd say van persie, goals against liverpool,chelsea and arsenal, as well as getting utd back into the game against braga on wednesday.

Other than him..Michu although he shouldn't surprise people really, he scored 15 goals in la liga for vallecano last season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Fraser Forster.

Any player who manages to break through the wall of complete arrogance set up around English football, and get himself selected for the national team without playing in The Greatest Most Exciting League In The World Live on Sky Sports HD™ has to be doing something right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Actually, one that's gone completely un-noticed - West Brom signing Ben Foster on a permanent deal.

Jim McGuinness :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I dunno if ya say RVP or Hazard as they were bought for big money were expected to do well.
    Michu is more deserving I think even though RVP has been outstanding.He scores when he wants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Cazorla
    Michu for me, Steve Clark is looking like a stroke of genius by Ashton at West Brom too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Berbatov
    Oscar, I think will prove in future to be the best out of all these signings

• Advertisement

As already said in this thread, you can't really say a £25m signing was some genius transfer. Bit like saying Real Madrid really pulled one out of the bag by signing that C.Ronaldo prospect....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I love the fact someone got turned on for mentioning an LOI player - doesn't half sum attitudes around here up to a tee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

There are some idiots on this forum. How the hell if your a football fan complain about LOI players being mentioned? I swear to god Irish football fans are actually morons! I don't follow a LOI team(or any club team for that matter) but I follow the league and it deserves the same respect as any of the glitzy leagues!!!!!!! You don't have to follow it but FFS ITS THE NATIONAL LEAGUE with clubs competing in champions league, give it some respect! If everyone thought like youse, there we would be about 20 clubs in Europe that everyone follows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

As already said in this thread, you can't really say a £25m signing was some genius transfer. Bit like saying Real Madrid really pulled one out of the bag by signing that C.Ronaldo prospect....
    Course you can, look at other players who signed for big money and flopped, Torres, Carroll, Veron, Shevchenko, Downing and Jo.

Esse85 wrote: »
    Course you can, look at other players who signed for big money and flopped, Torres, Carroll, Veron, Shevchenko, Downing and Jo.
    Yeah, that doesn't really back up your point at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hazard
    Rekop Dog was right, we were talking about Yacob.

Kinda begs the question why you chose Caulker who imo would have 99.99% been still available next round.

Liked your team up to that pick if not lacking in a genuine superstar...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hazard
    Kinda begs the question why you chose Caulker who imo would have 99.99% been still available next round.

Liked your team up to that pick if not lacking in a genuine superstar...

Mis-judgement, I guess. Felt I had to get a CB and acted on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Hazard
    The thread is about signing of the season, who has made the biggest impact at the club they moved to would be my take on that, not necessarily who is doing well for their price tag.

All things considered, Ronaldo was a bargain for Madrid and arguably the greatest signing in world football in recent times. His goal/game ratio is ridiculous and they probably would have paid double if they were guaranteed that before his signing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Chris Bennion, without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Somewhere somehow at a club far far away Emmanual Heskey is been spoken in these same kind words :eek:

5in6 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,898 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Michu
    Leiva wrote: »
    Somewhere somehow at a club far far away Emile Heskey is been spoken in these same kind words :eek:

5in6 now.

FYP

Now, RVP was a great signing for United but its not like they wouldnt be able to score goals without him. I think the biggest impact has come from Berbatov at Fulham, its like hes back in his prime at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭theavenger

Christian Benteke? Good player in a poor team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

G.K. wrote: »
    Mis-judgement, I guess. Felt I had to get a CB and acted on that.

Would have taken both Caulker and Yacob were both still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Eirebear wrote: »
    I assume this is a PL thread, but forgive me for branching out.

Fraser Forster signing permanently for Celtic has been massive, figuratively and literally.

Definitely, in the 2 years on loan he went from an awkward looking lad with poor distribution to having great reflexes, no issues getting down for low shots, comfortably able to kick off both feet. He kept 21 clean sheet in his first year and kept 23 of Celtic's 25 SPL clean sheets, 26 CS's in total, last year, which was a new SPL record and a large part of Celtic best defensive record in 90 years.

He should have been in the England squad for the Euros, it was disgraceful that he wasnt involved and I thought that was going to be the reason that he wouldnt sign a deal with Celtic. Everyone had been saying that English players dont get call ups playing in the SPL and I thought he was going to by into that thinking because the deal dragged out until the last week of his loan deal. To get him for £2m was daylight robbery! Delighted when he signed and his displays in Europe this year are no surprise to anyone that have seen him regularly play in the SPL and Europa League.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Oscar
    Carroll to West Ham - did LFC a great favour :P

but seriously, if LFC shift Cole in the jan window, easily transfer of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Vertongen should be on that list. I would say Hazard from those options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Blatter wrote: »
    I've seen Richard Hillman post about United and other PL clubs before, he's grand imo.

I don't agree with his stance on Rooney but it's a genuine opinion that he's entitled to hold. No need to be paranoid and assume somebody is a ABU just because they hold an opinion that you don't agree with.

fair enough, sounded like an ABU to me, happy to hold up my hands and say I got it wrong

Michu
    I'm thinking all things considered, it's Berbatov. Not just because of recent performances, but also because of the cost, I mean Man Utd still pay part of his wages and he only cost Fulham about 4-5 mil!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Michu
    I think Berbatov too, value for money n'all that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement