Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ricky Gervais being a dick about Office finale?

• 22-05-2011 3:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a320802/ricky-gervais-i-never-dissed-the-office.html

Ricky Gervais has insisted that he never intended to criticise the US version of The Office.

Writing on his blog after the NBC show's Thursday finale, the Cemetery Junction comedian appeared to take issue with the mass of famous faces drafted in to conclude the season.

He said: "Watching the Office finale may remind some of the Chris Martin episode of Extras... If you're going to jump a shark, jump a big one. Still we've had a good innings. I assume most people know I didn't do the US remake for the art."

However, Gervais has since returned to the site to clarify his comments and reaffirm his pride in the Stateside adaptation.

He wrote: "Sorry, who dissed The Office finale? I f**king didn't, that's for sure. I simply said it's different to the original which I created and made with different ambitions. What's wrong with that?

"The bit about it 'jumping the shark' and being like Chris Martin in Extras was meant to be a little self-deprecating in-joke. I myself, did a fun but pointless, over-hyped cameo in the episode too, remember. I did it for a laugh like everyone else, I assume. I certainly wasn't dissing anyone involved more than myself."

He further vented: "The US version of The Office has probably made me ten times the money that the UK version did. I wouldn't knock it. It's still my show. All I said was I do it for different reasons. That is simply what they call the truth. Hope that's okay. I believe I am still entitled to an honest opinion. After all, every other c*** is."

Was Gervais... 16 votes

being a dick
    0% 0 votes
    just being honest
    25% 4 votes
    The Office should have been axed years ago!
    75% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

He really needs to let go of it at this stage. I liked the office when it was originally aired (about ten years ago:confused:) but the American Office really became its own show and they made a lot more episodes than the British one.

Fair enough, Gervais wrote the original format but at this stage he should stop taking so much credit and going on about it at every opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    He really needs to let go of it at this stage. I liked the office when it was originally aired (about ten years ago:confused:) but the American Office really became its own show and they made a lot more episodes than the British one.

Fair enough, Gervais wrote the original format but at this stage he should stop taking so much credit and going on about it at every opportunity.

i am a fan of the original series and the us version and i love the characters gervais and steve carell play equally. but they only made more episodes because its a cash cow for nbc and also there was only 14 episodes (i think) of the uk version made because merchant and gervais chose to end it early so each episode was brilliant and there wouldnt be one dud.also the quality of the us office has rapidly declined after series 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'd like to see Gervais & Merchant write & direct a couple of episodes of the US version (there's about seven versions in all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    thats what he said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ricky Gervais has always been a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Arrested Development parodied this tendency for US sitcoms to jump the shark when they are in their death throes in the episode "S.O.B.s"

They had an episode where someone in the cast would die, it would be filmed live, with 3D scenes with a plethora of cameos. It was brilliant.

Anyway, Gervais is right to call the Office out on the finale. It is a little trite to fill a finale with celebrity cameos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

phasers wrote: »
    Ricky Gervais has always been a dick.

he is david brent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

He is just saying it as it is. The Finale was rubbish and the series is getting terrible, but he is making a fortune so he doesn't really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

The guy is a wanker. Can't stand him. The Office was good, his stand up is shite and he was always a smarmy cunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Arrested Development parodied this tendency for US sitcoms to jump the shark when they are in their death throes in the episode "S.O.B.s"

They also had the Fonz actually jump over a shark that was lying on a pier, parodying his own jumping of the shark in Happy Days which is where the phrase comes from. How meta is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Cant stand that programme. I used to work with a guy who was just like David Brent so can never watch it. Gervais seems to be a bit of prat anyway.

Advertisement