Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The View (RTÉ)

• 19-10-2010 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

What a heap of pretentious shíte. Gather a couple of English graduates who have failed to obtain employment 20 years after leaving college; give them a fiver to watch a film; prod them with a stick to uphold a pseudo-intellectual discussion about it on TV for 20mins to the disdain of the viewing public. Ugh.

Of course, no discussion of The View would be complete without a mention of the presenter John Kelly's MASSIVE ears.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yep it is quite tedious. Its a shame because Newsnight Review which it was obviously influenced by is quite watchful without dumbing itself down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Is Nadine O'Regan on it at all this year.. I think she's lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yep it is quite tedious. Its a shame because Newsnight Review which it was obviously influenced by is quite watchful without dumbing itself down.

I think the problem with the View is not the format, which as you rightly say was cribbed from the BBC, and is anyway quite a traditional format for a discussion show. The problem is that they have entirely taken away the element of debate.

John Kelly introduces an item, then each guest in turn gives a monologue about it, and then we move on to the next item. Guests seldom engage each other in conversation, and certainly never disagree. It's like a dinner party for people who have just recovered from a heart attack. Even the presenter seems to radiate an anxiety that is astonishing in someone with two decades experience of broadcasting.

I like to defend RTE from the charge that their general approach is to (a) steal something from the BBC, and (b) remove everything that made it worth stealing. But this one is a tricky wicket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RodVelvet

Is Nadine O'Regan on it at all this year.. I think she's lovely

The lovely Nadine was on this weeks edition of The View. Strange top on her though. Always worth tuning in when she is on it.

Have to agree that I dislike the view aswell. Seems to stick too rigidly to an formal monologue format which doesn't seem to engage in any meaningful debate between John and the guests. What tends to transpire is a guest will go on one of these monologues while everyone else looks on in awe, disagreements rarely seem to take place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I hate when reviewers spoil the plot of new movies and The View is awful for that.

Not that everyone on it is bad, but often enough there is one ridiculously pretentious arsehole who wants to tell us EXACTLY what they didn't like about the twist at the end of the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Miles-e-piles

Liam Fay put it perfectly when reviewing The View in The Sunday Times Culture Section many years ago: "It's not so much a 'who's who' of Irish culture, as a 'who's that' ..."

Advertisement