Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Saturday nights RTE ONE

• 23-05-2011 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Saturday nights have been the same for years on RTE ONE, 6.30 Kids Movie 8.15 winning streak 9.15 News 9.45 chat show with z list guests, Isnt it time for change? Winning streak is long past it, why not put a quiz show on saturday nights? And shouldnt the kids movie be on RTE 2 ? Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭squonk

Lots of older people like Winning Streak though. I agree 100% though that the schedule needs a good kick up the backside.

Personally speaking, the kids can keep their movie slot. They could replace Winning Streak with a decent old-fashioned actual quiz a la Mastermind and I'd rather see a good classic movie rather than Brendan O'Z-listers or any other such show.

Sadly I don't see it happening. I'm betting that the kids movies are cheap, the Lottery pay for Winning Streak and they don't need to pay celebs to appear on the chat show afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

The ratings for winning streak has fallen alot the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Tapes wrote: »
    The ratings for winning streak has fallen alot the last couple of years.

Only when XFactor is on but audience are more divide now.

The Saturday Night Show is often in their 10 most watch shows.

RTÉ Two show movies at 9 or 10 on Saturdays, no point both channels showing movies.

Saturday nights on RTÉ should be changed. I think "Winning Streak" can remain, but it needs a new set and should be on earlier. The Children/Family movie should be moved to RTÉ TWO and resurrect "Secrets" (or do an Irish version of Total Wipeout), six or so episode rather then 35 weeks of the same "entertainment" show. The Saturday Night Show just needs to forget about Z-list celebs from England, bring on Comedians, Singers, Dancers make it a variety show with some chat.

6:00 News
    6:30 Small Family Drama (at least 1 Irish one)
    7:00 Winning Streak with Lotto
    8:00 Total Wipeout/Secrets/Family entertainment show/Quiz Show/Game Show
    9:00 The Saturday Night Show (variety)
    10:00 Brendan O'Connor Live
    11:00 News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Winning Streak is probably the worst show that has ever been put on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

squonk wrote: »
    Personally speaking, the kids can keep their movie slot. They could replace Winning Streak with a decent old-fashioned actual quiz a la Mastermind

The RTE controller of programmes was on The Daily Show a few months back, answering viewers' queries and somebody wrote in complaining that there were no quiz shows on RTE. She arrogantly responded that there was no demand for quiz shows! How the hell would she know this unless she conducted thorough audience research? (which I very much doubt).

Even though some RTE quiz shows in the past have been a little bit ropey (Rapid Roulette etc.), they were still worth watching. Even bringing back Challenging Times (without Myers!) might be a step in the right direction.

I have to agree about Winning Streak. It is the most dire crap imaginable. Far better to let the 5 people spin the wheel and cut out all the rubbish in between. It would be over in 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Only thing Myers is good at.

Rapid Roulette :)

They should do some daytime quiz and perhaps a Mastermind competition.

Advertisement