Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop RAM upgrade

• 11-01-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade the RAM on my gf's laptop & was looking for some advice. It's an Advent 7094 & I wish to upgrade the RAM from 256 to 1024. I was looking on Komplette.ie's website & the memory selector thingy gives me the following 2 options:

Crucial DDR SO-DIMM PC2700 1024MB CL2,5

Crucial DDR SO-DIMM PC3200 1024MB CL3

I wouldn't know what these specs mean, so was wondering if there is any advantage of picking one over the other, the prices are near identical.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Sorry I don't know the difference between the 2. But I had a look on crucials own site and they recommend the PC3200 http://crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.aspx?model=7094 I'd also recommend ordering from them. The postage may be a bit higher, But they deliver using UPS(I think), and stuff arrives very quickly and well packaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Davey909

Cool, thanks for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

Davey909 wrote: »

Crucial DDR SO-DIMM PC2700 1024MB CL2,5

Crucial DDR SO-DIMM PC3200 1024MB CL3

I wouldn't know what these specs mean, so was wondering if there is any advantage of picking one over the other, the prices are near identical.
    quote]

DDR means double data rate i.e.the transfer rate of data is double that of standard cards

SO-DIMM is the type of card (small outline dual inline memory module) other types are DIMM and SDRAM etc.

PC**** is the bandwidth of the card so the higher the number the higher the bandwidth i.e.PC3200 = 3.2GB/sec

****MB is obviously the memory size of the ram card

CL* is the latency of the card (number of clock cycles before data is processed) the lower the latency the better the performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Kinda by the way. But I did the same upgrade on my old laptop, about 6 months ago, and the improvement was amazing. What surprised me most was how much the boot up time improved. Basically everything else was a lot better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ~EnDaScOpE~

Either or is grand for your laptop, It would be best to go for PC3200 as it's backwards compatible go to ebay for better RAM prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Davey909

That's the one I went for, cheers

Advertisement