Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post registered letter not delivered

Options
  • 15-12-2014 3:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi All,

just wondering, does anyone know what happens to a registered letter that is not delivered (I don't have a return address on it).

The update on the An Post tracking site this morning went from 'ATTEMPTED DELIVERY' to 'ITEM IN DEPOT'.

Its a business address in dublin 1.

Can the people who i sent it to collect the letter off the post office themselves, even if they didn't receive a slip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

It sounds like they tried to deliever the item before the business was open and there was no one there to sign for it.

Yes, the business should have got the slip. However I would give the business a quick ring speak to the relevent section. Advise them that there was an attempted delievery and that the item is now at the depot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tommybc

Miaireland wrote: »
    It sounds like they tried to deliever the item before the business was open and there was no one there to sign for it.

Yes, the business should have got the slip. However I would give the business a quick ring speak to the relevent section. Advise them that there was an attempted delievery and that the item is now at the depot.

I did so and they told me they have not received a slip, should i contact the depot it was returned to? Also they won't go to the depot themselves so i would need someone to go instead, but i would not have proof as it's not my address

Ring the depot. They should return the item to you within a certain amounty of days but in my experience it is better to ring. You could request that they attempt delievery again as they did not leave a slip and the company is unwilling to pick the item up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Miaireland wrote: »
    Ring the depot. They should return the item to you within a certain amounty of days but in my experience it is better to ring. You could request that they attempt delievery again as they did not leave a slip and the company is unwilling to pick the item up.

how can they return it to him if there is no return address?

I can resend it anyway it's no big deal, but can i write a note on the package when delivering to a residential address that it's okay to leave with neighbours? eg "NOTE: if recipient is out please leave with neighbor to sign for"

• Advertisement

Beano wrote: »
    how can they return it to him if there is no return address?

He should be able give the tracking number to the person over the phone, the details of when and where it was sent and give them his return address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

tommybc wrote: »
    I can resend it anyway it's no big deal, but can i write a note on the package when delivering to a residential address that it's okay to leave with neighbours? eg "NOTE: if recipient is out please leave with neighbor to sign for"

no you cant, send it by swift post, recorded delivery but no sig required .

no you cant, send it by swift post, recorded delivery but no sig required .

whats the difference between registered and Express Post (with Signature & Insurance)?

the signature

see here you can get express post with Signature and Insurance for an additional €2.00.
    is that the exact same as registered post?

• Advertisement

see here you can get express post with Signature and Insurance for an additional €2.00.
    is that the exact same as registered post?
    Registered Post provides secure delivery. It allows you to track your delivery and provides you with a signature online for deliveries in Ireland.
    Express Post is a reliable, fast and cost-effective way to get your item delivered on time, every time. We guarantee next working day delivery in the Republic of Ireland or your money back.

pretty obvious i would have thought

express post is handled the same way as registered post.. you just don't get to see who took receipt of it..it can go in the post box..u can track it.

express post is handled the same way as registered post.. you just don't get to see who took receipt of it..it can go in the post box..u can track it.

except express post is guaranteed to be delivered the next day. registered post isnt.

carry on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Swift post plus combines the benefit of both products , speed combined with proof of delivery with signature.Getting quite popular for mobile phone deliveries and the likes of Boohoo.com

ben101 wrote: »
    Swift post plus combines the benefit of both products , speed combined with proof of delivery with signature.Getting quite popular for mobile phone deliveries and the likes of Boohoo.com

if there is no one to accept it is it redelivered the next day, or is it kept in the depot without being redelivered?

if there is no one to accept it is it redelivered the next day, or is it kept in the depot without being redelivered?

Postman/woman leaves a docket and you collect it in local office.Normally wouldn't be redelivered unless there was a valid reason.Supposed to be changing this in the near future to give more options ,ringing the customer ahead,leave with designated neighbour ,redeliver next day,leave in parcel motel style box in post office but this is probably 9-12 months away at least.

ben101 wrote: »
    Postman/woman leaves a docket and you collect it in local office.Normally wouldn't be redelivered unless there was a valid reason.Supposed to be changing this in the near future to give more options ,ringing the customer ahead,leave with designated neighbour ,redeliver next day,leave in parcel motel style box in post office but this is probably 9-12 months away at least.

What kind of reason would be acceptable do you think? i sent an item to someone but he was away at the time, and he is very busy at the moment so may not be able to collect off the depot, would i be able to contact customer care for him and explain to them he is busy, and that a neighbour would take it if he is out (if they could redeliver)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What kind of reason would be acceptable do you think? i sent an item to someone but he was away at the time, and he is very busy at the moment so may not be able to collect off the depot, would i be able to contact customer care for him and explain to them he is busy, and that a neighbour would take it if he is out (if they could redeliver)

An Post attempted delivery. The package can be collected on behalf of the receiver. He doesn't have to go personally. To be honest this seems to be a small mountain out of a molehill.

An Post attempted delivery. The package can be collected on behalf of the receiver. He doesn't have to go personally. To be honest this seems to be a small mountain out of a molehill.

should i call an post customer service or have they numbers for the depots?

• Advertisement

They don't like to send stuff out again for the reasons you said because everyone would do it and you would have a huge amount of post to deliver by the end of the week.But there is a section on the docket you can fill out so a neighbour or friend can collect.Also ,most depots are open 7 am to 7 pm so even someone very busy should be able to get there at some stage.

Advertisement