Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quad cam timing belt

• 14-08-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭

Have a V6 quad cam that needs the tensioner and belt replaced.

I've never done a timing belt before but consider myself to be extremely competent having done considerably bigger jobs on cars before.

My question, is it lunacy to pop my cherry on a quad cam?
    Should also mention that there isn't much space to work in the engine bay, just to add to the difficultly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Timing belts are not usually hard to do at all imo. It is a job where you always want to follow the proper factory procedure, use the right locking tools and tensioning procedure etc. But as long as you can follow instructions, no reason at all not to do it yourself. The first time I did one the most complicated thing I had done before that was an oil change.

It's not a job I'd ever tear into on any car without reading the whole procedure through first though. With all the different timing and tensioning procedures that different makes and models use, it's not a job to figure out as you go.

What car is it? On any quad cam engine I've seen the timing belt typically only drives 2 cams anyway, the other 2 are driven off internal chains connected to the belt driven ones. So the timing belt set up is typically no more complicated than a twin cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

Thanks for the reply.
    It's a mitsubishi FTO.

As far as I can see all four cams are powered off the one belt.
    I've read plenty of online guides but the last time I looked at one of these was freezing cold in the middle of winter and didn't fancy my chances in the car port....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Yep you're right it does drive all 4 directly...well that just means you have more stuff to check the timing on, I don't think that would make it much harder. It also looks like the water pump is behind there too, might be a good idea to replace that while you're in there. That is usually the recommended thing on cars where the water pump is driven by the belt.
    I've read plenty of online guides but the last time I looked at one of these was freezing cold in the middle of winter and didn't fancy my chances in the car port....

Haha yes I should add that when I did my first one it was in November, and it took me 2 full days, running back and forth between the laptop and the car in the driveway. I was pretty worn out after 2 days out in the cold. Gave me a new found respect for the lads that do it for a living...although they usually have a garage, I bet most of them have scraped freezing knuckles a few times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

It was the Waterpump that I wanted to change when I last looked at it as it was leaking about 2 years ago.
    The car was of the road for a few months as I wasn't willing to put any money into it but the OH decided she wanted it so I relieved her of a few hundred and done the few jobs it needed, starter motor, cat, rear shocks and front springs.
    But while I was under it I had a look at the pre tensioner and it wobbles a good bit so would be a good idea to change it. Plus the fact it's on its current TB about 100k...

I'm off work next week and figure while the weather is still semi decent I should do it.
    Would kill for a decent garage....or any covered area where I don't have to squeeze between the car and walls.

You've given me the vote of confidence, will go get the locking tools on Friday.

Advertisement