Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stuttering Daewoo Nubira

Options
  • 12-08-2013 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

1999 Daewoo Nubira 1.6

When accelerating the car can be a bit stuttery and jolty when building up speed. It feels like it is being held back but the every so often full power and then held back again.

Any likely problems that I might be able to solve myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd start with cheapo things - clean the throttle body and then maybe replace the MAP sensor.
    Did you get error codes read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

biko wrote: »
    I'd start with cheapo things - clean the throttle body and then maybe replace the MAP sensor.
    Did you get error codes read?

Thanks for that. There is no engine light on but I'll try read codes tomorrow.

I've cleaned throttle body had a lot of dirt around the edges but now clean. Nice simple job hopefully it does the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Thanks for that. There is no engine light on but I'll try read codes tomorrow.

I've cleaned throttle body had a lot of dirt around the edges but now clean. Nice simple job hopefully it does the trick!

A dirty throttle body will generally stick closed giving problems with rough idle and pulling off or anything to do with the throttle being closed but always worth doing every few years anyway. Makes a car much nicer to drive.

Sounds like more of a misfire you have when you open up the throttle. My guess would be a spark issue so I'd check the spark leads first for cracking or damage. After that your looking at codes for a coil pack fault or changing the spark plugs if there old.

A dirty throttle body will generally stick closed giving problems with rough idle and pulling off or anything to do with the throttle being closed but always worth doing every few years anyway. Makes a car much nicer to drive.

Sounds like more of a misfire you have when you open up the throttle. My guess would be a spark issue so I'd check the spark leads first for cracking or damage. After that your looking at codes for a coil pack fault or changing the spark plugs if there old.

I replaced the HT leads & plugs last October when I got the car. -It had been sitting up for a good few years before that. I'll have a look at the plugs tomorrow too and then possible replace the coil pack. Looks cheap enough.

The car has a ALDL cable instead of the OBD2 so I have ordered an adapter from DealExtreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Ronnie Beck beat me to it:D Ususlly a running fault rears its head under heavy acceleration tends to be caused by failing ign leads. The cheapest solution too. On a lanos I owned when you snapped the throttle open in tge dark you could see a small spark jumping out of the lead base, over to the head! New leads and off we went:) Next as you say would be coil and after that we venture into nastier territories..
    Ive done camshafts and followers on about ten. Single cams, I think the Double cams fair better.
    Then again it might just be a stuck valve play compensator. It presses the follower against the cam, one per valve. If they stick, the valve doesnt open properly and compression is reduced giving the impression of a misfire.

• Advertisement

Took out and resat the HT leads yesterday seems to be running better now but there seems to be a lot of brown rust residue on the leads which was surprising as they are new enough.

Advertisement