Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd worst war for Irish?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I don't know that it's true that all nationalists think in a "Four legs good, two legs bad" way about Irish and British (or rather English). Many of the "advanced nationalists" of the pre-Rising era were left-wingers who would have had a network of close and affectionate contacts across Britain, Europe and America.
    The part of this group that survived the Rising, War of Independence and Civil War were largely driven out of the country or into poverty, however, with the result that some modern nationalists tend to be less left and more rigid and bigoted.
    It's an interesting question how societal changes bring about changes in political feeling.
    Comhgáirdeachas ar do chuid Ghaeilge, a chara dhíl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Fair enough Pedro, reasonable points well made.

I do have to pick out one thing though. I don't know where I've called you names, still less deleted some of them! Perhaps you've interpreted some of my language as insulting but I've no idea what you're on about regarding me deleting insults. You've totally lost me there mate.

Anyway, fair play for standing your ground and arguing your point.

(I still might send you a biography of Hunter Gowan for Xmas though :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Napoleonic Wars. ?
    Crimea ?
    Also there may well have been many Irish men in the French armies of these campaigns, didn't the French have Irish regiments and of course their would have been Irish in the French Foreign Legion ?

Pedro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Jesus. wrote: »
    Pedro?
    What?
    Am I now expected to comment on the inaccurate post claiming that great numbers of Irish died in the Napoleonic era or in the Crimea? Or the Foreign Legion? Poor old Joe the Yank is wrong yet again. After this you can do your own homework.

For starters, the Irish in France (and elsewhere, Austria, Poland, etc) were in an earlier period. The Irish Brigade arguably was at its peak at Fontenoy 1745, when an attack by the Irish compelled the British to retire, (they captured 15 cannon and a colour from the Coldstream Guards). Its losses were about 500 casualties on the day, so hardly a calamity unless one was among the dead. Anyway they were French, not Irish as the Brigade had been formed largely from the descendants of the +/- 10,000 soldiers who left Ireland, accompanied by +/- 4,000 women and children after the Williamite Wars to enter the French service. That exodus followed the fall of Limerick, surrendered on terms, every one of which was subsequently ignored or broken by the London-controlled Parliament in Dublin (so they were perfidious Irish):P. The Dillon Regiment was gone by 1800, although Dillon’s brother & cousin also had regiments in the US/Caribbean. The Dillon’s Rhum distillery business was built by one of their descendants. The last of the French Dillons lost his head in the Terror. Quel dommage. So no, the Napoleonic era did not involve Irish men dying in big numbers.
    There was an Irish Legion of about 2000 (French Irish mainly with a few hundred Poles) raised for 1798 and strategically it never accomplished much and was disbanded.

There is an interesting article on the Irish in the Crimea here - No doubt you will believe that the cheering crowds in Ireland were forced to wave off the volunteers at gunpoint and that the latter were economic migrants. :P

The Foreign Legion was much later than the Nap wars, and was France’s solution to the rag bag of military remnants / refugees after those wars – hence the initial foreign structure/composition of the FFL that exists even to this day, but very few Irish. The English solution was to ship their lot, mainly Scottish returnees and their families, to Canada. Apart from the question of poverty, being ‘on the parish’ etc., no country wanted too many trained military / battle-hardened men with too little to do sitting around.

And the bit of ranting at me with unionist insults that you deleted was in #35
    (I saw it before deletion, I thought how stupid and just let it go :):) There is enough s#ite in this thread already.)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

And 9/11 wasn't the work of Al Qeada....

You can't say it wasn't. I said there was evidence to suggest.

Pedro relax. I couldn't give a fiddlers what old Joe is banging on about. I was just waiting for you to make some kind of response (even a "like" would have done :() to what I thought was a reasonable attempt at rapprochement on my part, towards your good self.

I even put one of these ":p" at the end of the post FFS!

Can't you acknowledge the lengths I'm going to to make amends for our earlier somewhat unseemly altercation? I feel like Neville Chamberlain. Its all give give give with no return.

Lets move forward Pedro. No point in dwelling on the past (he said ironically in the history section) :)

Anyway they were French, not Irish

Pedro, I don't want to start another squabble with you but I'm afraid that's incorrect. The majority in the Irish Brigade at that time were actually Irish born as opposed to 2nd generation who made up the rest. Recruitment from the recently dispossessed Catholic semi-nobility was high across Ireland at this point and hundreds willingly volunteered for service with the Irish brigade.

I only bring this up because by chance I've just happened to have finished a book on this very subject only the other day. Its a new work and its very good:

Irish Brigades Abroad: From the Wild Geese to the Napoleonic Wars - Stephen McGarry

And the bit of ranting at me with unionist insults that you deleted was in #35
    (I saw it before deletion, I thought how stupid and just let it go :):) There is enough s#ite in this thread already.)

EDIT: On second thoughts, I can't be 100% certain that I didn't write something and delete it. You could be right Pedro lad.

Whatever it was, no offence meant mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

You can't say it wasn't. I said there was evidence to suggest.

{Mod}
    And I can say not relevant to the thread
    {/Mod}

• Advertisement

Interesting, I get your drift. However, to get a place at the “table/s” for the Westphalia business surely the delegates had to be a recognized as “states”? Also, the Dutch "conglomeration", Portugese and Spanish were "nations" a century before the Peace of Westphalia, had developed economies and had expanded overseas with colonies - France tried but failed. We were a small troublesome island with little going for us other than some fertile land and as a good location from which to weaken/attack England.

The point I made was that Ireland was not a nation – the battle of Clontarf saw ‘Irish’ (if you include Dublin’s Danes) fighting under a very temporary sort of High King. The Normans succeeded largely because of enmity between the Irish petty kings; by the Elizabethan era (and calling all the Fitz’s and Butlers Irish) there was constant internecine strife, e.g. Ormonde and Desmond invariably were at each other’s throats and wreaking havoc, and when Carew arrived rather than fight him in a combined way many of the locals joined him to gain some advantage (the Cavanaghs come to mind). That is why I cannot see how Ireland could fit the description of nationhood ……

Nor am I convinced that the chevauchee is directly comparable to the “creach”, the former being more a guerrilla-type strategy to weaken an enemy whereas the latter was a mixture of profit, high jinx and doing the neighbour one in the eye? That era is outside my comfort zone, so I’m open to correction.
    Prior to the Normans and Vikings Ireland was indeed a nation with it's homogeneous language, laws, customs, culture, religious practices etc. All national territory's have to be divided into smaller units in order to be administered unless they happen to be Monaco or something, trying to pretend that the Normans who spoke French mainly and had no shortage of petty 'kings' came to 'unite' us is about as accurate as me claiming have a date with Miss World.

Most of the "Dublin’s Danes" as you put it would have been living in Dublin for several generations and doubtless mixing with the natives would have made them more Irish than Scandinavian. It's not like they came in the night before from Denmark on a long boat.

What?
    For starters, the Irish in France (and elsewhere, Austria, Poland, etc) were in an earlier period. The Irish Brigade arguably was at its peak at Fontenoy 1745, when an attack by the Irish compelled the British to retire, (they captured 15 cannon and a colour from the Coldstream Guards). Its losses were about 500 casualties on the day, so hardly a calamity unless one was among the dead. Anyway they were French, not Irish as the Brigade had been formed largely from the descendants of the +/- 10,000 soldiers who left Ireland, accompanied by +/- 4,000 women and children after the Williamite Wars to enter the French service.
    Interesting you seem to know quite a lot about it, can you provide a reliable link to substantiate that ?

There is an interesting article on the Irish in the Crimea here - No doubt you will believe that the cheering crowds in Ireland were forced to wave off the volunteers at gunpoint and that the latter were economic migrants. :P
    The regiments raised in Ireland were like the rest of the British army a complete disaster with the French having to save the situation again and again in the Crimean war. For example the charge of the light brigade often hyped as a sign of the fearlessness of British cavalry was a turkey shoot with the Russians wondering where the British drunk or something when they launched their attack.

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    Most of the "Dublin’s Danes" as you put it would have been living in Dublin for several generations.

Is Pedro telling us that these men who were born and raised in Ireland were not Irish yet the 2nd Generations (and 1st!) in the Irish Brigade (France) were not Irish either but were in fact French???

Seems like he's contradicting his own (rather peculiar) rationale :confused:

Both you and Jesus have departed way off topic and are submerging this thread in BS, sarcasm and false construction of what I wrote. I suggest that you look again at what I wrote and leave your bias and pettiness aside.

I spoke about the Battle of Fontenoy in 1745 – assuming that those who fought at Limerick were still alive in 1745 they would have been in their late seventies at that date, hardly candidates for the battlefield! At that Battle there were some young men who went from Ireland to fight in France (right from the in the early 1700’s to the late 1700’s ) mainly from Connemara, Clare and Kerry but the numbers were small, as they had to be smuggled across.

Half the officer class (which is rather a small number also) of the Irish Brigade was Irish. The French had to relax the rules on nationality because the numbers of Irish born were not there - but insisted that 50% of the officers in the IB be born in Ireland, and the others born of Irish parents in France. There were also, for example, several hundred Poles in the Brigade.

As for my sources, have a look here - http://www.irishineurope.com/about/research/irish-regiments-france and you will note that I underestimated the numbers who left after 1690.

Instead of false attributions and trying to provoke arguments with childish, petty and inaccurate comment you might spend some time reading some history books and not looking too much at Wikipedia.

Joe might also like to research the nationalities of those who rode and fell in the Charge of the LB.

Pedro for fukk's sake, its you who's submerged the thread in BS, sarcasm and false construction. From claiming that pitch-capping and torture "never happened" before the outbreak of the '98, through saying that the Government's policy to force the rebellion out into the open was "nonsense" right up to this, your latest attempt at bullshi*ting everyone with the nonsense in your head, you've made yourself look like a very unstable character.

You've backtracked a bit from saying "they were French, not Irish". The Brigade was constantly supplemented with Irish born recruits up to this point before falling off in subsequent years but the Brigade at Fontenoy was most definitely Irish - first generation with plenty of second generations - and not simply French as you tried to tell us using such simplistic reasoning. Its that kind of black and white thinking along with serious attempts to contort Irish history that annoys so many genuine amature historians out there.

Your subsequent claims that the men from Dublin were "Danes" despite using a different set of criteria for claiming those 2nd generations of the Irish Brigade were French, reveals once again a kind of contempt for what one might consider any kind of Irish achievement from the past. Whatever your reasons are for distorting the facts (maybe you had your schoolbag stolen by someone dressed as a Leprechaun when you were a child?), it is not a noble craft, being a revisionist with an agenda. Propaganda of all kinds must be totally dismantled on sight.

Is Pedro telling us that these men who were born and raised in Ireland were not Irish yet the 2nd Generations (and 1st!) in the Irish Brigade (France) were not Irish either but were in fact French???

Seems like he's contradicting his own (rather peculiar) rationale :confused:
    You've backtracked a bit from saying "they were French, not Irish". The Brigade was constantly supplemented with Irish born recruits up to this point before falling off in subsequent years but the Brigade at Fontenoy was most definitely Irish - first generation with plenty of second generations - and not simply French as you tried to tell us using such simplistic reasoning. Its that kind of black and white thinking along with serious attempts to contort Irish history that annoys so many genuine amature historians out there.
    Yep, he's just tripping over himself. Due to the Penal Laws which forbade Catholics to own arms or join the British army and hence making Ireland a major recruitment source for continental armies. Fontenoy is rightly remembered as a fine example of the Irish soldier's tenacity and courage in battle and never tested better than against the auld enemy :)

I spoke about the Battle of Fontenoy in 1745 – assuming that those who fought at Limerick were still alive in 1745 they would have been in their late seventies at that date, hardly candidates for the battlefield! At that Battle there were some young men who went from Ireland to fight in France (right from the in the early 1700’s to the late 1700’s ) mainly from Connemara, Clare and Kerry but the numbers were small, as they had to be smuggled across.

Half the officer class (which is rather a small number also) of the Irish Brigade was Irish. The French had to relax the rules on nationality because the numbers of Irish born were not there - but insisted that 50% of the officers in the IB be born in Ireland, and the others born of Irish parents in France. There were also, for example, several hundred Poles in the Brigade.

As for my sources, have a look here - http://www.irishineurope.com/about/research/irish-regiments-france and you will note that I underestimated the numbers who left after 1690.

Instead of false attributions and trying to provoke arguments with childish, petty and inaccurate comment you might spend some time reading some history books and not looking too much at Wikipedia.
    You spoke about the Battle of Fontenoy in 1745 claiming that those in the Irish Brigade were " French, not Irish as the Brigade had been formed largely from the descendants of the +/- 10,000 soldiers who left Ireland, accompanied by +/- 4,000 women and children after the Williamite Wars to enter the French service. " I asked you to supply a reliable link and though doubtless you tired hard you failed miserably as expected :)

Due to the Penal Laws which forbade Catholics to own arms or join the British army, Ireland was a major recruitment for the French where they fought against the British with a similar motivation as say, the Free Polish, Czechs etc did in WW2 against the Germans with Fontenoy been a fine example.
    Joe might also like to research the nationalities of those who rode and fell in the Charge of the LB.
    Couldn't care less what alleged nationalities anyone is in the service of the British army, especially when you have a bunch of incompetent turkeys like the LB, in WW2 they called them Kamikazes. But if you want to spend your time typing up makey uppy history and then searching for links that fail to proof your theory's - by all means continue to waste your own time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    You spoke about the Battle of Fontenoy in 1745 claiming that those in the Irish Brigade were " French, not Irish as the Brigade had been formed largely from the descendants of the +/- 10,000 soldiers who left Ireland, accompanied by +/- 4,000 women and children after the Williamite Wars to enter the French service. " I asked you to supply a reliable link and though doubtless you tired hard you failed miserably as expected :)

Due to the Penal Laws which forbade Catholics to own arms or join the British army, Ireland was a major recruitment for the French where they fought against the British with a similar motivation as say, the Free Polish, Czechs etc did in WW2 against the Germans with Fontenoy been a fine example.

Couldn't care less what alleged nationalities anyone is in the service of the British army, especially when you have a bunch of incompetent turkeys like the LB, in WW2 they called them Kamikazes. But if you want to spend your time typing up makey uppy history and then searching for links that fail to proof your theory's - by all means continue to waste your own time :)

So the Irish soldiers were amazing and the British army incompetent?

So this whole 800 years of oppression thing, how'd that happen then?

Joe, seriously, you need less rhetoric, more reality.

It's boring now. There is no fun or merit in debating with those whose inaccurate posts are surpassed only by their bias and ignorance of the subject matter.

Joe has to be a troll when he writes in #78 “I asked you to supply a reliable link and though doubtless you tired hard you failed miserably as expected ” Joe, the source and link for my info on the Irish Brigade is the Department of History, National University of Ireland Maynooth. Are you for real??

Firstly, anyone born in France is French, so unless the Irish Brigade at Fontenoy was made up of geriatrics, the two of you are wrong in claiming that its members were Irish born – I did state that there were second generation Irish and some recruits from Ireland but the latter were few in number. Research the topic and learn.

If Jesus had read McGarry’s book (as he claimed:confused:), he would have spotted my error in stating that the captured battle standard came from the Coldstream Guards when in fact it was from Sempill’s Regiment of Foot (forerunner of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers) and not the Guards, as was previously thought. Jesus might also realise that reading one book does not a historian make, as many historians are at odds with some of McGarry’s claims so he is by no means the acknowledged expert.

Jesus in post #32 show how far off track he has gone – he has yet to give a source for his claim that Crown Forces tried to force the population to rebel by using rape and pitch-capping BEFORE the Rebellion broke out. (I never denied that rape and pitchcapping happened, it did - AFTER the event.)

Joe the Yank again shows his ignorance of events in writing
    "Yep, he's just tripping over himself. Due to the Penal Laws which forbade Catholics to own arms or join the British army and hence making Ireland a major recruitment source for continental armies."
    Actually Catholics were allowed own arms. The Act was called “An Act for the better securing the government, by disarming papists” (it was 7 Will III. 1695). “Catholics” and “Papists” are quite different. Additionally, there were several allowances made, notably for “Papist Gentlemen”. Also, the cost of a firearm was far beyond the means of the ordinary Irish person, not a hope of one being owned by a peasant cottier, so the remark is irrelevant.

If all that was not enough, Joe the Yank again shows his ignorance of the Penal Laws as nowhere do they state that Catholics were forbidden to join the British Army.

In his most stupid remark to date. Joe dismisses the skills of the Irish soldiers – read what a noted anti-Irish writer Charles Forman wrote about them as a fighting force at the battles of Cremona, Blenheim, Ramillies, Almanza, Oudenarde, Malplaquet to name just a few.

It’s Christmas, I’ve no interest or time for this s#ite so goodbye

Firstly, anyone born in France is French

But those Irishmen from Dublin were "Danes" according to you regarding the Battle of Clontarf...
    some recruits from Ireland but the latter were few in number.

Incorrect
    If Jesus had read McGarry’s book (as he claimed:confused:), he would have spotted my error in stating that the captured battle standard came from the Coldstream Guards when in fact it was from Sempill’s Regiment of Foot (forerunner of the King’s Own Scottish Borderers) and not the Guards, as was previously thought.

So you're lambasting me for not correcting your own ignorance! Priceless.

(There's only so much of your falsehoods a mere mortal can attempt to correct in one sitting, otherwise I'd be here all night)
    Jesus has yet to give a source for his claim that Crown Forces tried to force the population to rebel by using rape and pitch-capping BEFORE the Rebellion broke out.

This is just one but I'm not kidding when I say for certain that you have little to no knowledge of this subject if you didn't know of such activity. Its part of every academic history on the '98. I mean the reading one single book would have revealed it to you.

"The people of Co Wicklow and north Co Wexford became convinced that they were all going to be slaughtered. This impression was reinforced by the activities of a group of loyalists known as the Black Mob, led by the notorious Hunter Gowan. Men were flogged to death, homes and haggards were burned, suspects were tortured with burning pitch caps, and Hunter Gowan stirred the punch at a local celebration in Gorey with the amputated finger of one of his victims."

(All prior to the outbreak) - BBC short history of Northern Ireland

I've already told you that the Dublin Government (even William Pitt in London was supportive if I recall) resolved to force a premature rebellion out into the open so they could crush it because they were terrified of French support landing. If you want me to be your personal researcher then you'll have to pay me but I've given you the name of perhaps the most widely respected academic work of the period written no less by an Anglo-Irish Protestant Lord (no nationalist propaganda in sight) and I'm not going to pick it up and read it all over again for your convenience. Look it up and learn about something before you pretend to know anything about it.
    Jesus might also realise that reading one book does not a historian make

Well its one more than you've read by the sounds of it
    many historians are at odds with some of McGarry’s claims so he is by no means the acknowledged expert.

Name me one or two of the "many historians" who are at odds with McGarry on the makeup of the Irish Brigade at Fontenoy?

You, Sir, are a complete chancer

• Advertisement

This is just one but I'm not kidding when I say for certain that you have little to no knowledge of this subject if you didn't know of such activity. Its part of every academic history on the '98. I mean the reading one single book would have revealed it to you.

"The people of Co Wicklow and north Co Wexford became convinced that they were all going to be slaughtered. This impression was reinforced by the activities of a group of loyalists known as the Black Mob, led by the notorious Hunter Gowan. Men were flogged to death, homes and haggards were burned, suspects were tortured with burning pitch caps, and Hunter Gowan stirred the punch at a local celebration in Gorey with the amputated finger of one of his victims."

(All prior to the outbreak) - BBC short history of Northern Ireland

You, Sir, are a complete chancer

You are still a mile off topic, but just to show you up once more, actually no, those events happened after the outbreak of the Rebellion and it is detailed in full in Jonathan Bardon's History of Ireland in 250 Episodes (not the BBC source you quoted;)) Episode 153, to be exact, here
    Just goes to show that you continue to spoof, misquote and have no idea!:D:D:D

That particular mob ran amok in Wexford and Wicklow on 25th - 26th May where no rebellion had broken out at that point. Fighting had, I concede, commenced in Kildare the day before because of the actions of the military but Wickow and Wexford were still quiet when this campaign of Government-led terrorism began, once again in order to force the rising out into the open. Your own link shows you what they were doing to the people in an otherwise quiet area. But as I said above, I only gave you one example. There are many others well before any fighting whatsoever erupted (not least by General Lake in the north the year before, in 1797).

Martial Law was declared on 30th March and the "Gentlemen" were given "free quarters" to extract information. The Leinster Directory was arrested and the terrorism began.

Rather than quote every source from the back of the book (I'm not your researcher Pedro), I'll name the pages of Packenham's book from the chapters called "The Triangles" (a device used for flogging) and "pacifying Wicklow" which cover the period prior to the outbreak, to give just a couple of examples of pre-Rebellion torture and killing. If you want his sources, get the book. They're listed at the back and are all authentic.

* Pg 72, The Duke of Wellington's brother hanged 8 suspected United men in Queens County

* Pg 74, A General declared their "aim was to incite terror"

* Pg 84, In Athy, Blacksmith's were tied to the Triangle and flogged with the cat 'o nine tails

* Pg 98, In Newtownmountkennedy, the Welsh fencibles ran amok at a fair, torturing and flogging suspects

It must be noted that this policy of intimidation was directed to force rebels to either surrender their arms or to force them out into the field prematurely so they could be dealt with in one fell swoop. So the main reason the rebellion broke out at the end of May was because the Government succeeded in their aims. The United Irishmen wanted to hold for as long as they could until French support arrived.

Quoting directly from the Earl of Longford (pg 100), you can understand the train of events:

"Few things illustrate so clearly the utter recklessness of Lake's campaign of disarming as this strange episode in Wicklow. In disarming the people there were three great dangers. First, the very minimum of force must be used or the violence itself could drive people to rebellion. Second, there must be a co-ordinated plan for disarming, or the terror excited in one area would trigger off a rising in the adjoining districts. Third, the people who had surrendered their arms must be given confidence in the Government by some form of conciliation.

Abercromby had recognised these dangers. In a few districts like Wellesley-Pole's and Moore's, his plan for collective punishment by free quarters had been successfully carried out. But then Abercromby had gone and his plan had been abused by local commanders. Next the system of torture, as begun by Colonel Campbell at Athy, and cheerfully accepted by Lake, had been applied without discrimination in parts of Kildare. Now, by a culminating act of folly, Lake had allowed the pacification of Wicklow to follow the same reckless pattern. He gave, it seems, no warning to commanders like Major Hardy about the risks of excessive force. He made no co-ordinated plan with the other commanders in adjoining districts, like Carlow, who had somehow still failed to start their own campaign for disarming. The last thing that came into his head was any plan for conciliation.

Yet that part of Wicklow, above all, was a district that would have been easy to disarm. That huge secret army of Wicklow, that was to bestride Leinster like the Wicklow mountains themselves, existed only in the fancies of its leaders. The people were mainly country people, poor and politically unsophisticated compared to their neighbours in Dublin, Kildare or even Wexford. They had cheerfully pledged themselves to a movement whose leaders promised not only to free them from their old material grievances - high rents and tithes, and low prices - but to give them a new place in society and a new country to belong to. Now that vision had turned to a nightmare. Abandoned by their leaders, hunted down like animals by the yeomanry, they were desperate to surrender, provided only they could trust the good faith of the Government.

But the Government - both the Castle and the thirty-odd families of peers and squires and parsons who ruled the county of Wicklow - believed in "prompt punishment" and "salutary shocks". Refused an amnesty, many hundreds of men took their arms, and what little else they could carry and fled into the mountains with no choice now but to attempt an insurrection."

More misinterpretation of the facts, Jesus, you ignore the sequence of events and again quote them and sources out of context. Stop and look at the sequence -

The rebellion was not a single spontaneous event, it had been planned and in the pipeline for years. I could – but I won’t - argue that Ireland was in a state of quasi-rebellion long before it actually broke out in Dublin in 1798 on the basis that Ulster was proclaimed and pacified in 1797. The ‘powers that be’ were fully aware of the huge civil unrest and years before 1798 had established militias, then the yeomanry and then brought in Fencibles to bolster the low number of troops in Ireland. (They are all quite different, it is not correct for you to lump them all together under one collective banner.) The highly disturbed nature of the country is why an Insurrection Act was passed in 1796 and why martial law was proclaimed on March 30th 1798.

Contrary to what you claim, no government decision was made to force the issue, there was no mass rape and no mass atrocities to provoke the population into open revolt. There were some local atrocities mainly against innocent civilians (and mostly committed by the Fencible Regiments) but those events were not widespread and when they did occur they were condemned by local gentry/magistrates/figures of authority. Their purpose was to extract information on arms and leaders, nothing else.

On the 18th May the leaders fixed the date for Rebellion - the night of 23 May. That night a small crowd tried to seize Dublin Castle and other key public buildings. That ‘event’ failed miserably because the government knew of the plan and right around the country was anticipating trouble.

Outside Dublin, in parts of Meath, Kildare and Wicklow others rose as planned that night and prevented the mail coaches from passing. The non-arrival of the coaches was the signal to the rebels elsewhere along their routes to rise up, which they did – the “when” was a question of how long the news took to travel, rather than being forced/coerced by Crown forces into taking arms in rebellion.

Yes there were a few atrocities in the days before 23 May – but for example the Swayne you mention, he had arrived at Prosperous only on the 20th May, and while he was a psychopath and a sadist he was not the reason why 500 ‘rebels’ attacked Prosperous two days after his arrival. They already were there as the attack was long planned. The Crown forces in the barracks were heavily defeated on the night of the 23rd. Swayne was piked and burned in a tar barrel. (And FWIW thirty eight soldiers - as Pakenham points out - mainly Catholics from the south - were killed, only nineteen escaped or were spared.)

Similarly your claims on Newtownmountkennedy are incorrect as Pakenham is wrong because he has confused two separate events – firstly in early April “The Ancient Britons” – a Fencible Regiment - led by a Captain Burganey arrived there and were plied with drink by local ‘loyalists’. When asked to point out rebel leaders the loyalists picked out half a dozen men at random who then were hanged. This was roundly condemned by the Yeomanry leader at Bray (a JP) and reported it to Dublin Castle. Then, when the rebels did rise up on the 30th May for “the Battle of Newtownmountkennedy” they were defeated. Burganey was killed in the fighting and it was after his funeral that his troops ran amok.

The key issue is that almost all the atrocities took place after the Rebellion broke out, not before and not as a means of provoking rebellion as you repeatedly have claimed. Context, Jesus, context, multiple sources and timing/sequence of events. Believe what you will, clearly there is no dissuading you with fact, I'm out of here.

The key issue is that almost all the atrocities took place after the Rebellion broke out, not before and not as a means of provoking rebellion as you repeatedly have claimed.

Incorrect as repeatedly pointed out above. I'll take Lord Longford ahead of your good self Pedro if its okay with you.

Now turn off those red, white and blue Xmas lights you have all over the front of your house. Its very late and they're dazzling the motorists :D

Incorrect as repeatedly pointed out above. I'll take Lord Longford ahead of your good self Pedro if its okay with you.

Now turn off those red, white and blue Xmas lights you have all over the front of your house. Its very late and they're dazzling the motorists :D

Poor Jesus, he so dearly loves his Lord; blinded by the Light he cannot see the truth!:D

Joe has to be a troll when he writes in #78 “I asked you to supply a reliable link and though doubtless you tired hard you failed miserably as expected ” Joe, the source and link for my info on the Irish Brigade is the Department of History, National University of Ireland Maynooth. Are you for real??
    Firstly, anyone born in France is French, so unless the Irish Brigade at Fontenoy was made up of geriatrics, the two of you are wrong in claiming that its members were Irish born – I did state that there were second generation Irish and some recruits from Ireland but the latter were few in number. Research the topic and learn.
    Your source may be from the Department of History that you provided but it states nothing about your assertion " French, not Irish as the Brigade had been formed largely from the descendants of the +/- 10,000 soldiers who left Ireland, accompanied by +/- 4,000 women and children after the Williamite Wars to enter the French service. " Clearly your only posting makey, uppey history, your the one who would needs to research the topic and learn before you post comments that you cannot back up. High five to CJ :)
    Joe the Yank again shows his ignorance of events in writing
    "Yep, he's just tripping over himself. Due to the Penal Laws which forbade Catholics to own arms or join the British army and hence making Ireland a major recruitment source for continental armies."
    Actually Catholics were allowed own arms. The Act was called “An Act for the better securing the government, by disarming papists” (it was 7 Will III. 1695). “Catholics” and “Papists” are quite different. Additionally, there were several allowances made, notably for “Papist Gentlemen”. Also, the cost of a firearm was far beyond the means of the ordinary Irish person, not a hope of one being owned by a peasant cottier, so the remark is irrelevant.
    And the earth is flat !!! Maybe this will help you :D " Papist - a Roman Catholic. " http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/papist?s=t

If all that was not enough, Joe the Yank again shows his ignorance of the Penal Laws as nowhere do they state that Catholics were forbidden to join the British Army.
    " Catholics barred from holding firearms or serving in the armed forces (rescinded by Militia Act of 1793) " http://www.reference.com/browse/penal+laws

So the Irish soldiers were amazing and the British army incompetent?

So this whole 800 years of oppression thing, how'd that happen then?

Joe, seriously, you need less rhetoric, more reality.

And poor old Pedro accuses me of -
    In his most stupid remark to date. Joe dismisses the skills of the Irish soldiers – read what a noted anti-Irish writer Charles Forman wrote about them as a fighting force at the battles of Cremona, Blenheim, Ramillies, Almanza, Oudenarde, Malplaquet to name just a few.

It’s Christmas, I’ve no interest or time for this s#ite so goodbye
    Just goes to show, you just cannot please our unionist friends, they find something to object to in everything :D

“Catholics” and “Papists” are quite different

Pedro's latest attempt to explain the morality of the Penal Laws

Comedy gold :pac:

Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 viewpost.gif
    “Catholics” and “Papists” are quite different
    Pedro's latest attempt to explain the morality of the Penal Laws
    Comedy gold :pac:

One would think that in chosing a Boards name like "Jesus" you would at least have some idea of religion!:rolleyes: Your inaccurate comments above are yet more examples from a serial poster of nonsense and yet another non-sequitor troll remark... who mentioned the Penal Laws? Not I..... Have a look here and see (yet again) how ill-informed your comments are. As for you and your mutually congratulatory friend Joe, Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile (just to show, contrary to your earlier assinine remarks on my origin, go bfhuil an gaeilge agam i gconai! :D )

1. Is the Church of Ireland Protestant or Catholic? It is both Protestant and Catholic. For this reason it is incorrect to refer to members of the Church of Ireland as ‘non–Catholic’.
    The terms Protestant and Catholic are not really opposites.
    There are Catholics who accept the universal jurisdiction of the Pope, the Bishop of Rome. Often in consequence they are called Roman Catholics. But there are other Catholics who do not accept the Pope’s jurisdiction or certain doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church. Some are called Protestant or Reformed Catholics. Among them are members of the Church of Ireland and the other Churches of the Anglican Communion.
    It follows therefore that the terms ‘Protestant’ and ‘Reformed’ should be contrasted with ‘Roman’ and not with ‘Catholic’.
    The Church of Ireland is Catholic because it is in possession of a continuous tradition of faith and practice, based on Scripture and early traditions, enshrined in the Catholic Creeds, together with the sacraments and apostolic ministry.
    The Church of Ireland is Protestant, or Reformed, because it affirms ‘its constant witness against all those innovations in doctrine and worship, whereby the Primitive Faith hath been from time to time defaced or overlaid.’ (Preamble and Declaration to the Constitution of the Church of Ireland of 1870, 1.3)
    So there are Catholics who are in communion with Rome and Catholics who are not. But all by baptism belong in the one Church of Christ.
    We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. The Nicene Creed – said at the celebration of the Eucharist in the Church of Ireland

• Advertisement

What a ridiculous reply. You've once again diverged onto something entirely different, wasting yours and everyone else's time in explaining something that I and every other nincompoop already knows, IE the technicality that all Protestants are "Catholic" (universal). The problem is, you weren't talking about theological technicalities, you were talking about the Penal Laws and the reduction of the Catholic population to a state of semi-serfdom (in my opinion there's actually no "semi" about it when you're born and bred in your own Country with ancestry stretching back hundreds of years prior to the oppressors) and your attempt to dilute those facts by playing a stupid "word-playing" card.

Have it your way Pedro. Lets play your silly little game (which was imbecilically "liked" by your imperialist Tory friend, Fred).

ROMAN Catholics (IE Papists) were whom the Penal Laws were directed against.

So, give me a one-sentence reason why you think those "laws" were grossly unjust and tyrannical. Just one sentence now. And if for some warped reason you don't think they were, equally reply with no more than one single sentence. Freddie, if you're brave enough you can try this one too (although I doubt you will......)

This should be good :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement