Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Reading suggestions?

Options
  • 06-12-2014 1:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Given the Christmas holidays are approaching and so there is some down time, any suggestions for any good Palaeo books?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Sadly, these days my information comes via the interwebby thing .... (Mostly from Adam)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Last one I got was Sabertooth by Mauricio Anton- very interesting read AND brilliant illustrations, as usual. Covers not only true saber toothed cats but also the "false" ones such as nimravids and barbourofelids.

Also, not palaeo, but, have you ever read Parasite Rex by Carl Zimmer? I always recommend that one. A bit gross but really fascinating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As an FYI, balancing reviews, cost and interest I got the following for myself for Christmas readings:

1- A SURVIVAL GUIDE: Living with Dinosaurs in the Jurassic Period
    2- Ghost Mountains and Vanished Oceans: North America from Birth to Middle Age (More startigraphy and continental drift)
    3- Dinosaurs! - A Scientific America Guide
    4 - Before The Dawn by Nicholas Wade (Human Evolution)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Manach wrote: »
    1- A SURVIVAL GUIDE: Living with Dinosaurs in the Jurassic Period

I have this one actually but I didn´t recommended because even tho its an interesting read, I didn´t really like it :pac:

Have you read any of the others yet? (I know when I'm given books for Christmas, I usually read them all in one night!)

Not had a chance to d/l yet on to the kindle. My reading is usually spaced out over the year and read several books in parallel - so should have then complete in about a year :) .

• Advertisement

Sorry for resurrecting the bones of an old thread, but I managed not to read any of the above books over the year. :o

Instead read the following:
    Before the Dawn Wade, N
    The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History Kolbert, E
    The Neanderthals Rediscovered: Dimitra Papagianni, Michael A.

Overall, all were good reads.

So for the next year, any recommendations?

You've read more than I have lately :(

Advertisement