Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E&I Apprenticeship Over Degree??

Options
  • 14-03-2013 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Recently dropped out of first year of an Engineering degree in UCD just after Xmas because I didn't do so well in exams and was strongly recommended to repeat first year as there's no point continuing with a poor foundation. I have a space reserved for next year so I don't have to apply to the CAO again.

I've applied for a few E&I apprenticeships as I'm told it is highly relevant in todays industry and also more interesting than other trades and also that it has the best employment opportunities above other trades...? I have had a response from one employer so far with an interview coming up soon.

Any advice on whether or not I should really be looking at an apprenticeship at all?
    Where I should be looking for employment with an apprenticeship?
    Any other advice appreciated, just want some other opinions.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Linex_311 wrote: »
    Recently dropped out of first year of an Engineering degree in UCD just after Xmas because I didn't do so well in exams and was strongly recommended to repeat first year as there's no point continuing with a poor foundation.

Good advice if you intend on completing the degree.
    Did you fail the year, or just not do well?
    Did you do honours maths in the leaving cert?

I've applied for a few E&I apprenticeships as I'm told it is highly relevant in todays industry and also more interesting than other trades and also that it has the best employment opportunities above other trades...?
    In general there is very little work for electricians, there is a bit more work for E & I crafts.
    Any advice on whether or not I should really be looking at an apprenticeship at all?
    That depends on may things, for example:

Have you an interest in this type of work?
    Are you "good with your hands"?
    Are you looking at a maintenance or installation position?
    I assume you understand that there is a good chance that you may be let go while you are an apprentice?
    Are you willing to travel abroad?

Where I should be looking for employment with an apprenticeship?
    There are very few oppertunities at present in Ireland.
    The work that is there is for experienced qualified people.

I know many electricians that went back to college to do an electrical engineering degree.

I do not know anyone with an electrical engineering degree that went on to serve their time.

Yesterday a friend phoned me from the Middle East. He is working there commissioning instrumentation on a large plant. His take home pay is over €2,000 per week.

I would not say that doing an E & I apprentiship is better or worse than an engineering degree. It depends on many factors including the person, the college and the employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

If i had my 6 years again i would have went to college and i am still not qualified Fas are a complete and utter joke. if you must do an apprenticeship make sure the company you go with have at least 4 years work for you to get your cert i would only do an apprenticeship with a semi state company if i would ever do one again. and as for work after you qualify ya can forget about Ireland. sorry to be negative but that's the simply truth there's 4000 of us unemployed with little or no help being given to us and if you become redundant over your apprenticeship don't expect Fas to help you cause they wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Im serving my time in E&I(about 5 or 6 months in) and I would say your experience will all depend on your employer. I could wire your house for you at this stage but I couldnt tell you feck all about instruments. I've plenty of time to get experience but when serving your time with contractors it really can vary what you end up working at. Best best is to serve your time in a plant somewhere, could come out of that and get a handy job working in calibrations somewhere or the likes.

Oh by the way, I spent 4 years in college before i started my apprenticeship and have a degree in history and politics! So no harm if you wanna give college another chance you can always serve your time in a few years if college dont work out. Good luck with it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pod2011

IMO as an Electrician you should definitely,definitely get your degree, with the present work situation plus you will have a handier easier job in the end. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭bazbrady

currently working in instrumentation in pharma industry myself,long term prospects in this field maybe a little better than sparks due to construction downturn,if you do go the sparks route try go factory maintenance instead of construction due to what has happened in this country ,also a little handier and cleaner work.alot of electrician friends have gone into or cross training in instrumentation .id stick with the degree money in ireland is poor starting off as engineer compared to technicians but later in life is better and easier physical job .another good course is the mechatronics in blanch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Noddynaki

I'have a degree in Electrical Engineering,and I'm currently in 2nd yr of an E&I apprentice.

2k a week sounds good!!! muahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

2011 wrote: »
    Good advice if you intend on completing the degree.
    Did you fail the year, or just not do well?
    Did you do honours maths in the leaving cert?

In general there is very little work for electricians, there is a bit more work for E & I crafts.

That depends on may things, for example:

Have you an interest in this type of work?
    Are you "good with your hands"?
    Are you looking at a maintenance or installation position?
    I assume you understand that there is a good chance that you may be let go while you are an apprentice?
    Are you willing to travel abroad?

There are very few oppertunities at present in Ireland.
    The work that is there is for experienced qualified people.

I know many electricians that went back to college to do an electrical engineering degree.

I do not know anyone with an electrical engineering degree that went on to serve their time.

Yesterday a friend phoned me from the Middle East. He is working there commissioning instrumentation on a large plant. His take home pay is over €2,000 per week.

I would not say that doing an E & I apprentiship is better or worse than an engineering degree. It depends on many factors including the person, the college and the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Its up to your own interest really. If your going the route of the apprenticeship, id be very careful about who you do your time with. Im with a company in cork and most of the lads serving time in the E+I are only doing a electrical apprentices work. If you can get into a company (not to big) that mostly work with just instruments id start there. Usually on site you are one the other, unless you are on maintenance in a factory. Id rather take a very good electrical apprenticeship than a poor trade in instruments. I find the most difficult part is when you complete your time you will have to build up good contacts in the industry takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Its up to your own interest really. If your going the route of the apprenticeship, id be very careful about who you do your time with. Im with a company in cork and most of the lads serving time in the E+I are only doing a electrical apprentices work. If you can get into a company (not to big) that mostly work with just instruments id start there. Usually on site you are one the other, unless you are on maintenance in a factory. Id rather take a very good electrical apprenticeship than a poor trade in instruments. I find the most difficult part is when you complete your time you will have to build up good contacts in the industry takes time.

Truth, if you're gonna do e&i with a large contractor dont expect to work on instruments. That was my mistake but a jobs a job and doing all the electrical stuff isnt the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Truth, if you're gonna do e&i with a large contractor dont expect to work on instruments. That was my mistake but a jobs a job and doing all the electrical stuff isnt the worst.

Nothing wrong with doing your time with a large company too it can be better. You might not see as may instruments as you like that's just the nature of large company's it can vary you might get loads one year and little the next depending on the job, its all down to your own interest if you want to make the best of it you can pick it all up as you go. I always notice the ones that show interest do fine..

Advertisement