Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Virus Software

Options
  • 06-05-2003 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I have been using Norton Anti Virus for years with the online update which i pay my subscription for.
    About 3 Months i had to re-install XP.
    I forgot about Norton tho.
    Now my subscription for Virus updates is no longer valid in the new installation.
    So i try to contact Norton.
    Has anyone ever tried to contact them. You can't. Their support sit doesn't deal with this issue. I've sent about 20 emails to every address i can get off their support site and not 1 answer.
    So now i've decided i'm not giving them anymore money for this ignorance.
    So can anyone tell me the best free Anti virus software, with regular updates and which will protect mt PC in real time as norton did. e.g If i try to open a file with a virus the virus software will then catch it.
    Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

This is quiet good
    avg

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Another vote for AVG

Its one of the few free virus packages that has automatic regular virus updates.

The scheduling of updates and virus scans is a little bit inflexible on the free version (you need to make sure the machine is turned on and connected to the net at the same time every week) but nothing that can't be lived with.

I have been using it on two machines for almost a year and I find it to be efficient and reliable. I have used paid for programs previously (Norton Antivirus and Trend PCcillin) and AVG seems to be less of a resource hog than either.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

If you did a clean reinstall of your OS then you should be able to install the Norton AV software again and it will work fine.

If you are having problems getting NAV to work the problem may well be a Microsoft Problem and not a Norton problem.

Try this: Uninstall Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) Q811493 Security Update. It can screw up Norton AV and slows your PC down too.

You can look Here for more info.

Cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Hi Cali69,
    Norton works fine, but my subscription to the updates have been lost. So when i try running live update it brings me to a new subscription page. And i refuse to pay for the same service twice.
    My problem with Norton is their serious lack of support for my problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

yet another vote for avg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I see. I've never come across that before. It usually works fine for a year after a clean Operating System re-install. Upto ver. 2002 anyhow.

But I do agree about the lack of support when needed. It seems to be email and wait:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

yeah, it works fine for 3 months and then you have to pay for updates.
    Email and wait forever is more like it.
    I've been waiting a few months for a mail from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭PJ Hunt

Hi,

I've been using several versions of NAV for years.

As I never use any sort of automatic updating stuff, be it MS or NAV, I just go to download.com or tucows.com and download the latest norton.dat...

Its free

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

avg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

AVG gets my vote too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement