Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

S Max Engine Malfunction

Options
  • 12-08-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All, I've got a 2007 FORD S Max 2.0 TDCI Zetec. Recently when driving on the motorway for a time the engine malfunction light comes on and goes off when car is turned on and off. It then drives away again and sometimes this repeats- only ever on motorways though and by the time we bring it to a mechanic there is no warning lights and no error code from diagnostics, anyone have any ideas? Do these cars have an egr fitted. Someone told me they do not.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

If the engine malfunction warning is appearing then there will be a fault code stored in the engine. If nothing is showing up on a diagnostic scan then the scan tool being used is not up to the job. Fords can be pretty fussy like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭creedp

maddladd wrote: »
    Hi All, I've got a 2007 FORD S Max 2.0 TDCI Zetec. Recently when driving on the motorway for a time the engine malfunction light comes on and goes off when car is turned on and off. It then drives away again and sometimes this repeats- only ever on motorways though and by the time we bring it to a mechanic there is no warning lights and no error code from diagnostics, anyone have any ideas? Do these cars have an egr fitted. Someone told me they do not.
    Thanks in advance.

I have a similar problem with an 08 2.0 TDCI but in my case its the ESP warning light that comes on. When it comes on the engine power is reduced and the brake pedal goes hard. The only way to resolve the problem is to turn off/on the engine. Its only ever happenned when the car is parked outside overnight in very cold weather - never happened if the car was garaged. I took it to an independent first and he could find no fault and then to a main Ford Dealer with same result .. no fault code showing up. Bit of a mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

maddladd wrote: »
    Thanks in advance.

Sorry for bringing thread back from the dead.... have similar symptoms at present and wondering if you got to the bottom of it. I've read a few bits and pieces that point to 2/3 possible issues.... (a) faulty boost vacuum regulator/pipe work (b) turbo actuator /variable vane issue or (c) water /corrosion in the turbo postion sensor...... I've came across another thread that suspects could be fuel filter also.

Interested to get an insight here....

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

If the engine malfunction warning is appearing then there will be a fault code stored in the engine. If nothing is showing up on a diagnostic scan then the scan tool being used is not up to the job. Fords can be pretty fussy like that.

Not all the time with the galaxy and smax i had two before throwing on a light and once the ignition was cycled off and on the code was gone.

Not all the time with the galaxy and smax i had two before throwing on a light and once the ignition was cycled off and on the code was gone.

edit just seen this thread is a year old.

• Advertisement

Using a main dealer IDS? Crazy. Why are Fords such a mess when it comes to fault codes??

Yeah with the ids worse still it was only fairly new imagine trying to explain to the customer we cant fix your car cos we dont know whats wrong with it :-)

Good old Ford! Did you know ye aren't able to code keys on the new model Kuga either? Our local dealer has had one of our sales cars in twice to code a spare key and failed both times :pac:

yeah its a new system called fdrs ( ford diagnostic and repair system ) there was a lot of teething problems with it but shouldnt really be any problems with it now. Thats the way all programming is going now the day of standard ids for programming is nearly gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

What what I,m reading recently there's big changes coming with how manufactuers are allowing the aftermarket access to software.

Ford and VAG have already started the ball rolling.

Even the great autologic is struggling with VAG cars after model year 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭kennM

kennM wrote: »
    Sorry for bringing thread back from the dead.... have similar symptoms at present and wondering if you got to the bottom of it. I've read a few bits and pieces that point to 2/3 possible issues.... (a) faulty boost vacuum regulator/pipe work (b) turbo actuator /variable vane issue or (c) water /corrosion in the turbo postion sensor...... I've came across another thread that suspects could be fuel filter also.

Interested to get an insight here....

thx

Hey all, just to close the circle on this one....

Did a bit of reading and took a shot at throwing a good treatment through, had already done a couple of runs of Diptaine with no success. Picked up a bottle of Wynn's Formula Gold Diesel Treatment and popped it through, 3/4 of the tank now gone (http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/wynns-formula-gold-diesel-treatment-500ml).

This must be some sort of magic potion!!! delighted with results. Engine malfunction is now gone, also there was juddering when turbo kicked in in higher revs which is now almost gone also. Not as smokey under acceleration and much better pick up etc. etc. etc...... can't recommend this highly enough..... completely different car now!!!

Hope it helps someone in the future.... cheap fix.... other than that car was going into garage.

Advertisement