Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tsatsiki

Options
  • 25-10-2004 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I know my spelling's shot, but can anyone give me a decent recipe for this GORGEOUS greek sauce?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not much to it really

greek yoghurt
    lots and lots of garlic
    bit of salt
    bit of chilli powder but not necessary
    finely chopped cucumber or grated cucumber.

Some people put a little mint inside. Some people put olive oil on top for use as a dip and some people put lemon juice inside. But the essence is greek yoghurt, cucumber and garlic.

Enjoy!

You were right about the spelling, although in Greece it's spelled Tzatziki, I think in English it is with an S.

Yummy stuff though, great for dipping bread into or having BBQ meat with or stuffing inside a souvlaki.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Also, when grating the cucumber, remove the seeds first, or else it all gets a bit watery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The way to keep the cucumber from getting watery is to chop the cucumber pretty finely , after having peeled it, then put the cucumber in collander and sprinkle a LOT of salt on top of it, say two teaspoons, leave this over the sink or on the drainer as the salt will draw the water out of the cucumber. After this has stood for about 20 minutes then rinse off the salt under cold water and allow to drain a bit longer, then it is ready for use and wont leak anymore water.
    Chili powder is not an ingredient of Tzatziki.
    Add in some chopped mint too.

Ah Greeks put chili powder in everything!

• Advertisement

OK I have asked an Athenian colleague of mine about this!

She says that the correct way to make tsatsiki is:
    1.5 or 2 cucumbers - peeled, grated and then squeezed (she doesn't mention taking the pips out)
    3 pots of yoghurt
    4-5 cloves of garlic to preference
    a little oil
    salt, pepper
    a spoon of vinegar (I had no idea about this)

She mentions that chili powder is not an ingredient of tsatsiki but it does happen if you don't put garlic in the mixture.
    She also says that herbs are not put in tsatsiki. I know my mother puts mint in tsatsiki after living in Greece for a while but I think mint and dill are more of a foreign ingredient to tsatsiki than a Greek one.

So there's an Athenian's slant on the tsatsiki debacle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Gordon wrote:
    OK I have asked an Athenian colleague of mine about this!

She says that the correct way to make tsatsiki is:
    1.5 or 2 cucumbers - peeled, grated and then squeezed (she doesn't mention taking the pips out)
    3 pots of yoghurt
    4-5 cloves of garlic to preference
    a little oil
    salt, pepper
    a spoon of vinegar (I had no idea about this)

She mentions that chili powder is not an ingredient of tsatsiki but it does happen if you don't put garlic in the mixture.
    She also says that herbs are not put in tsatsiki. I know my mother puts mint in tsatsiki after living in Greece for a while but I think mint and dill are more of a foreign ingredient to tsatsiki than a Greek one.

So there's an Athenian's slant on the tsatsiki debacle!

Thanks for that, wouldn't exactly have called it a debacle.

Then I really should look that word up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Osku-82

Thanks for this advice! I really love tzatziki, it's great as a dip with carrots. In my opinion, it is the healthiest of really good tasting foods. You might want to drain the yoghurt, too. This can be done in your coffee maker, just pour the yoghurt on the filter paper and let the water drop for about two hours. The cucumber really needs to be dried, too. If you don't dry anything, it will result in the tzatziki being really not at all that firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

thanks for that must try it out at the weekend! love the stuff.. yum yum :D

if only I could think of more things to have it with!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

You can get it in Tesco ready made and YUMMY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yeah it's nice in Tesco.. but so much cheaper to make your own in bulk.. specially if ur havin friends over.. handy as a dip with nachos or tortilla chips ;)

Advertisement