Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying tickets for the Bord Gais Theatre

Options
  • 10-07-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I was trying to buy tickets for the BGT and it keeps offering me rubbish seats. I ignore the offer and try again and keep getting offered rubbish seats. Is there any way you can actually choose your seats for this venue?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I was trying to buy tickets for the BGT and it keeps offering me rubbish seats. I ignore the offer and try again and keep getting offered rubbish seats. Is there any way you can actually choose your seats for this venue?

Ring them and ask for specific seats or call into the theatre box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Ring them and ask for specific seats or call into the theatre box office.

Sort of defeats the point of online booking

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

As far as I recall you can choose your own seats but obviously only from whatever is available. It may be in a separate tab when your seat selection is shown, can't remember specifically but it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Sometimes there is a 2nd tab entitled 'choose your own seats' but not always.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Sort of defeats the point of online booking

Well that's how it works. The online booking system does not have every ticket for the venue and you only get to select what is in the system and available. If you want to be so picky use an alternative option to the online system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Contact the box office - they are very helpful, they will talk you through the best seats available from what's left at each price point. Also, you bypass the Ticketmaster booking fee.

Well that's how it works. The online booking system does not have every ticket for the venue and you only get to select what is in the system and available. If you want to be so picky use an alternative option to the online system.
    cee_jay wrote: »
    Contact the box office - they are very helpful, they will talk you through the best seats available from what's left at each price point. Also, you bypass the Ticketmaster booking fee.

Well I rang the theatre and they do not accept telephone bookings but instead refer you to Ticketmaster. Seems I have to travel in person to the theatre to get a better ticket or accept the ones being offered by Ticketmaster. A slight understatement to say this is irritating.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

It is really annoying when this happens. For some shows there is an interactive map available and you can choose what seats you want. Otherwise the 'best available' way of doing it can be painfully tedious when you want to compare different seat prices, seating areas etc.

Sometimes when that happens I just go to ticketmaster in person. But that's not a very practical option for everyone depending on your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I think it depends on the theatre. I don't remember ever being able to select my seat for the Bord Gaid theatre. They offer you ones and you can accept or try again. Other theatres like The Olympia allow you to select your seat based off a map. Both on Ticketmaster.

Hrududu wrote: »
    I think it depends on the theatre. I don't remember ever being able to select my seat for the Bord Gaid theatre. They offer you ones and you can accept or try again. Other theatres like The Olympia allow you to select your seat based off a map. Both on Ticketmaster.
    Even that would be an improvement. Every time I hit that button, or leave it a couple of days, it still keeps offering me the same seats!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Hrududu wrote: »

I have been able to select my seat for the Bord Gais theatre before, but it just depends on the show/night that you're trying to get tickets for.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Can't think of any occasion I couldn't choose my seats online for the Bord Gais.

To choose your seats on an interactive map you usually need the Flash plugin installed in your browser. Chrome has it and it is enabled by default. Firefox has to have it added as a plug-in. Flash is a dangerous bxxxxr so I have it turned off until I need it and then turn it off again straightaway.

I don't have any Apple devices but a friend has and she says that you can't install Flash on them so you're only option online is to get offered the "Best available seats" which, of course, are usually rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xaforb

Mebuntu wrote: »
    Can't think of any occasion I couldn't choose my seats online for the Bord Gais.T
    Well, you have an option to choose for upcoming shows Jersey Boys and Mary Poppins but not for Breakfast at Tiffanys or Billy Elliot. Strange to have such inconsistencies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah I find this REALLY annoying, it's completely stupid to the point I end up not buying tickets. Sometimes you can't choose your seats at all and it's offering seats you don't want instead of a choice.

Advertisement