Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lecture recordings

Options
  • 23-06-2015 7:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I was wondering if recording lectures is a common thing at UCC? I'll be starting the GE medical program in August and at the university where I'm from students leave their recorders at the front of the lecture hall and study off of them when exam time comes.

Do students in UCC do that? If so I'll probably buy a recorder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Jlayay wrote: »
    I was wondering if recording lectures is a common thing at UCC? I'll be starting the GE medical program in August and at the university where I'm from students leave their recorders at the front of the lecture hall and study off of them when exam time comes.

Do students in UCC do that? If so I'll probably buy a recorder.

I've honestly never heard of that happening in UCC. Its a good idea though. You'd have to clear it with the lecturer first but I'm sure most would be fine with it. Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

Unless you have a letter from DSS (disability support service) a lecturer will not allow the recording of his/her lectures

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i recorded my lectures using my phone. it helps a lot, especially come exam time when you need to know what to study. Don't think the lectures will mind you recording their lectures. although word of advice, some of the lectures are walkers on the stage, so be careful where you put the recorder :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It depends : some were fine with recording or even supplied their own. Others citing privacy issues for the class as a whole banned recording. So best to check first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

If nothing else it's polite to ask first. It's a bit disconcerting to have students just stroll up and put a recorder at the front of the hall and then go sit down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

You see a lot of people using the recorder on their phone to record the lecturers.

Some lecturers said outright that they don't want to be recorded or to ask first.

To be honest I don't think it's necessary to record them if you can take adequate notes and listen during lectures. Lecture slides are usually good quality anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i recorded my lectures using my phone. it helps a lot, especially come exam time when you need to know what to study. Don't think the lectures will mind you recording their lectures. although word of advice, some of the lectures are walkers on the stage, so be careful where you put the recorder :D

Recording lectures can be a contentious issue. I know quite a few lecturers who do not like their lectures being recorded. As mentioned above, you need to seek the lecturers' permission before you use a recording device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

As mentioned above, there are all sorts of legal and moral issues with recording someone without their knowledge. It would be very much advisable to ask first. Be prepared though, I imagine a large proportion would object.
    sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Where do you put the recorder, out of interest. On the lectern?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

As mentioned above, there are all sorts of legal and moral issues with recording someone without their knowledge. It would be very much advisable to ask first. Be prepared though, I imagine a large proportion would object.

Where do you put the recorder, out of interest. On the lectern?

You can just keep phone recorders in your pocket or next to copy/laptop on a desk.
    They have a good range even from far enough away.

Most people record lecturers these days as it's so easy to just press a button on your phone. Not saying that it is the moral,ethical or legal thing to do but it happens none the less.

Advertisement