Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masters in Information Systems for Business Performance

Options
  • 08-04-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

Job outlook not good and I'm running out of options so looks like I'll have to consider a masters (shudder):D

Anyone done the Information Systems for Business Performance masters that could give me their opinion of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I havn't that one but I am currently doing the straight BIS masters and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I finished a computer science degree in UCC last year and couldn't get a look in to the jobs I wanted (got an offer in the end but it was after I had set my mind to do the masters).

A year later and having the MBS BIS on my CV seems to make recruiters fall over themselves to offer you interviews. I interviewed for two different jobs (one an investment bank & the other BSKYB) between november & december and got offers from both (went with the bank. I'm starting in July in London).

The course itself is mostly business orientated with a light IT side (not just because I have a CS degree. Its just very light stuff anyway).

Sorry I can't offer you any advice or info on the ISBP masters but there are one or two BIS staff on this who will most likely help you out.

x43r0 wrote: »
    I havn't that one but I am currently doing the straight BIS masters and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I finished a computer science degree in UCC last year and couldn't get a look in to the jobs I wanted (got an offer in the end but it was after I had set my mind to do the masters).

A year later and having the MBS BIS on my CV seems to make recruiters fall over themselves to offer you interviews. I interviewed for two different jobs (one an investment bank & the other BSKYB) between november & december and got offers from both (went with the bank. I'm starting in July in London).

The course itself is mostly business orientated with a light IT side (not just because I have a CS degree. Its just very light stuff anyway).

Sorry I can't offer you any advice or info on the ISBP masters but there are one or two BIS staff on this who will most likely help you out.

Thanks for that, It was mainly clarification on the job front I wanted anyway! I'm due to meet the module co-ordinator tomorrow so I'm sure she will run me through the nuts and bolts of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I was in it for a few months, although I had to drop out because of medical reasons.

It's a good course, and I've heard very good things on the employment front.

The biggest problem I had with it was due to me already having a Commerce degree. Some of the things they talked about I had already covered, in detail, with the management/marketing stream of commerce. And it was annoying to have to justify some of the basic tenets you're taught in Commerce. I'm sure if people come into it from Computer Science they'd find the teaching of the computer stuff annoying too, because I'm guessing they start off using simplications of what you have just spent four years learning. (That said, it might get better towards the end. I dropped out around Christmas.)

The other thing is there's E-Business, which is the sister course to ISBP. They share about half their modules with each other. From dealing with the shared modules and talking to the E-Business people, ISBP comes across as more a managerial type course. You're dealing with the higher level areas of BIS. While E-Business actually gets down into the technical aspects of computers. So ISBP had you reading case studies, and looking at the role of the CIO and the likes, while E-Business had you learning how to build websites and program Java.

Either course is good. I enjoyed it while I was doing it, and I wish I could have kept it up.

Buceph wrote: »
    I was in it for a few months, although I had to drop out because of medical reasons.

It's a good course, and I've heard very good things on the employment front.

The biggest problem I had with it was due to me already having a Commerce degree. Some of the things they talked about I had already covered, in detail, with the management/marketing stream of commerce. And it was annoying to have to justify some of the basic tenets you're taught in Commerce. I'm sure if people come into it from Computer Science they'd find the teaching of the computer stuff annoying too, because I'm guessing they start off using simplications of what you have just spent four years learning. (That said, it might get better towards the end. I dropped out around Christmas.)

The other thing is there's E-Business, which is the sister course to ISBP. They share about half their modules with each other. From dealing with the shared modules and talking to the E-Business people, ISBP comes across as more a managerial type course. You're dealing with the higher level areas of BIS. While E-Business actually gets down into the technical aspects of computers. So ISBP had you reading case studies, and looking at the role of the CIO and the likes, while E-Business had you learning how to build websites and program Java.

Either course is good. I enjoyed it while I was doing it, and I wish I could have kept it up.

Thanks very much Buceph, I'm coming from an identical background as yourself with Management/marketing so good to hear your perspective on the course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Can anyone let me know how this years course is progressing? Are there any people from humanities or field sciences backgrounds who are doing it as a total rookie?

cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

I would say it is a reasonably good option given the state of the jobs market, it will give you as much of a chance as many other masters.

however, don't think you will be walking into a job on graduation. the previous poster had a four year cs degree. when you add a masters with business subject knowledge on top of that, you have a strong cv.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DarrenC_21

Hey guys was wondering if anybody knew of other types of graduates pursuing this course? I'm a science graduate and I am really trying to get away from the lab side of things. I always wanted to work in the pharmaceutical/med device industry and still do but towards the end of my degree I became less enamoured with the idea of working in the more scientific roles. During the year out I've taken in which I've worked in the med device industry I decided that I needed to upskill to gain different positions in these industries. Basically I'm wondering if this masters would be a good move if I am gearing it towards working in pharma/med dev. industry but in a more business/IT oriented role?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 crazycatz

Hey I am starting it this year, I have just finished fourth year in Social Care, so I would say I am a complete rookie!! I was talking with the coordinator and she said that people from all disciplines do this masters :) so it should be fine :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Ferg29

crazycatz wrote: »
    Hey I am starting it this year, I have just finished fourth year in Social Care, so I would say I am a complete rookie!! I was talking with the coordinator and she said that people from all disciplines do this masters :) so it should be fine :)

Hi

I'm thinking of applying for this, also a complete rookie though. How has the last year been for you? Would you recommend the course?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 moby91

hey guys looking to bump an old thread here. did an MA in Med Hist & it didn't work out. looking to go back to UCC to do an MA in ISBP. how big i the jump from humanities to business & is a good standard of maths necessary for the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 splitend1

moby91 wrote: »
    hey guys looking to bump an old thread here. did an MA in Med Hist & it didn't work out. looking to go back to UCC to do an MA in ISBP. how big i the jump from humanities to business & is a good standard of maths necessary for the course?

Hey moby91,

I am also considering applying for the ISBP masters. One of my friends is in the course at the moment and everyone seems to be enjoying it; the workload is tough from what I've heard but manageable if you put the work in. Her classmates all came from varied undergrad backgrounds like education, arts, law, commerce and so on, so I would't let that discourage you. It is a conversion course after all.

AFAIK there is no maths requirement needed to apply, and don't think there is a lot of maths content either in the modules. I myself am coming from an education background with a bit of tech experience and am just in the process of applying for the January round. If you have any questions let me know as it's difficult enough to get info on this course in particular due to older threads. I may not be able to give you first hand insight but I've done quite a bit of research on the course. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lambeau_leap

Thinking of applying for this course and would greatly appreciate an answer to any of these questions.

What are the job opportunities like?
    What is the toughest part of the course (if there is one single point)?
    What are the commitment levels required?
    What are the lectures like?
    What is the course size like? It seems to be a popular course so will a 2.2 undergrad be sufficient to get in?
    How does the application process work? The Jan cut off date is quite near. Would missing that make it significantly tougher to get into the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 splitend1

Thinking of applying for this course and would greatly appreciate an answer to any of these questions.

What are the job opportunities like?
    What is the toughest part of the course (if there is one single point)?
    What are the commitment levels required?
    What are the lectures like?
    What is the course size like? It seems to be a popular course so will a 2.2 undergrad be sufficient to get in?
    How does the application process work? The Jan cut off date is quite near. Would missing that make it significantly tougher to get into the course?

According to the course page 2.2 in any discipline is the minimum requirement, no harm in applying for January round but my friend applied April with a 2.2 and still got an offer within a couple of days of uploading it to pax website, saying all that courses of this type are becoming in very high demand and it won postgrad of the year last year for 2014 making it a very desirable course for students and employers alike I would imagine. there are 60 in my friends year but share lectures with e business students also, lots of labs also with some as late as 10pm. Work load seems to be tough but manageable so far. It's semesterised so one doesn't have a huge chunk if exams in May-hoping it stays like this for year ahead!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anktom

Hi everyone,

I am international student and about to join this course in coming September. I am from CS background.
    I want to know more about this course, like, what kind of labs? will it good for me as CS background student as i am interested in business management area along with IT? What are future and job perspective (as a international student i must have to thing about this also apart from quality education)?

So anyone from this course or completed this course or related to it please share your valuable information.It will be very helpful.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 121dki5

just got accepted into the MSc dismorning... wondering what the modules are like and any books or information to brush up on??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Daybreak567

Hey I just finish the masters for ISBP. I came from an Applied Psychology undergrad and I was one of the top in my class for exams in semester 1. (waiting for semester 2 results). I have just recently secured employment in a very good and well known company in Dublin. If you have any questions about the course feel free to PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

How would this course be for a somebody who doesnt have english as a first language ? The person is from asia and has good level of normal english, but the business and IT terms would be new to them. I would imagine if the course had a lot of pratical IT work it would be good, but if there is a lot of essay writing it would be a challenge ?

Also how long does a candidate have to decide if they get an offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joevegas11

Hi I've accepted this masters and beginning in September. My undergraduate was in the BA single honours economics and CS. The workload was quite high in economics teamed with difficult content. I've heard that the workload is manageable in ISBP I'm just wondering is the content difficult? Is there anything you recommend me doing before I start to get an insight as to what to expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 padelahunt

@joevegas11 also starting this course in September. Few useful books in the library on IS essentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 symbio

Thinking of applying to this masters myself next year, just wondering how are ye finding it? worthwhile?
    and to anyone who has completed it are the job opportunities that good after? i realize they almost advertise it at 100% job employment but that can be misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 1 op16

Hey,

I have been accepted onto the course but I am having doubts about it. I studied business at undergrad and am just wondering is the course worthwhile in terms of the job you get after it considering it is €10,500?

Advertisement