Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amps - Gah! Somebody Make A Decision For Me!

Options
  • 28-01-2005 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Ok, the story is this: I want an amp. Ideally, I'd like a Vox AC30 Top Boost. But the problem is I live in Dublin and I wish to retain both my kidneys, so I can't really afford to buy one. I might have the option of going to Manchester to a big big big store called "Dawson's" (supposed to be incredible) and driving home with the AC30.

In the meantime, I've also heard that Fender Twin Reverbs are up there with them. Anyone used both and have an opinion on the two? I'd rather not hear people say "Go and try them out in a shop" because, of course, I am going to do that...

Oh, and if anyone's selling a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal, shriek at me!

Cheers,
    Seán

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Is this one out of your price range? It's a good price for one and frankly if I could, I would but I can't :(

if you want a Vox AC30 that's the best price you'll find it for in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

I am selling an original Fender Twin Reverb for 950, but i'm willing to go longer if you are interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

John2,

Yeah, I've been hmmm-ing and haw-ing over that post for some time now :-) No disrespect to Vox (the boards user) but I don't think that amp is in great nick. I texted him and he told me it's in "good condition", but that unnerves me a bit since I want something that's really gonna last me.

Also, I heard something about the 1980's reissues of the AC30's: Apparently they're considered the worst. Is there any truth in that at all? Or am I going mad?

Nidge,

I've actually never had a good chance to try out a Fender Twin Reverb, but I may be interested. Is it in P.W.O.?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Try one of these]

Thomann music in germany - www.thomann.de
    Music store professional in germany - www.musicstore.de

If delt with both of them ,Music store are really fast for delivery about 4 days, Whlst thomann take almost 2 weeks

Good Luck

DIgiking

• Advertisement

The Twin Reverb's are beautiful too, if i was you i'd arrange to try out both of these amps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

deathfunk wrote:
    but I don't think that amp is in great nick.

The amp is over 20 yrs old. The condition of the amp is excellent. Hardly a mark on the vinyl. This model was used by the edge on the u2 elevation tour under his '64 ac30.

here is an quote from dallas schoo.. his guitar tech.

"Schoo: On the Zoo TV and Pop tours, Edge had a total of eight combo amplifiers. On this tour they wanted to play on limited stage space, so the actual physical area is not enough to accommodate eight amps. He wanted to do a simpler guitar/signal path, but still get some big sounds. So this tour, he's running almost all his sounds through one or two amplifiers, playing them at a lower level and making the effects at a hotter level. He's quite happy with his sounds that he got from the album by doing it that way, so he's attempting to do that live. He's getting good sounds. He still uses his main old 1964 AC-30, as well as an '82 AC-30."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

By the way, anyone know how much is a new ac30 reissue at the moment? they might be cheaper as they have moved production from th UK to China. I have a few old amps and a uk reissue vox which i may be tempted to sell in a month or 2 if i get a nice offer but maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Yes the amp operates perfectly, sounds beautiful. We could arrange to try it out, if i thought you were genuinely interested.

Advertisement