Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional Work Advice

Options
  • 09-01-2016 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Just looking for any help here, currently on a WHV valid until October but looking to do my regional work now. I've been applying for jobs on Gumtree daily for two weeks now and I've barely had a reply never mind a job offer.

I'm a civil engineer by profession though most engineering jobs valid for regional are FIFO based and these always seem to require previous FIFO experience so I've mainly been applying for farming and fruit picking work.

Currently in Perth though willing to travel anywhere so if anyone has any advice or contacts it'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Chances are you won't get any FIFO work on a WHV. The main clients require people to be able to work longer than a 6 month period and the cost of inductions, travel etc to initially bring somebody on board a FIFO role can be in the $1000's. I've just finished up 5 years of FIFO and I was very very lucky to get a foot in the door when I was on a WHV back then.

Plenty of work in rural NSW. I was thinking of getting out of the city for a while and living in my camper, working on farms, bars etc this year for a while for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Harps wrote: »
    Just looking for any help here, currently on a WHV valid until October but looking to do my regional work now. I've been applying for jobs on Gumtree daily for two weeks now and I've barely had a reply never mind a job offer.

I'm a civil engineer by profession though most engineering jobs valid for regional are FIFO based and these always seem to require previous FIFO experience so I've mainly been applying for farming and fruit picking work.

Currently in Perth though willing to travel anywhere so if anyone has any advice or contacts it'd be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I have a few mates who went up to Bundaberg and found work using this hostel

http://northbundybackpackers.com.au/

Advertisement