Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Core map

Options
  • 05-02-2013 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Friend of mine e-mailed me saying he heard something about Dublin Bus launchin a "core map" in the media on Friday

Anyone know anything about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mtjm wrote: »
    Friend of mine e-mailed me saying he heard something about Dublin Bus launchin a "core map" in the media on Friday

Anyone know anything about this?
    It has already been launched.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/9706/CORE%20DUBLIN%20BUS%20ROUTES.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

They were handing out maps on Grafton Street this morning - or at least it looked like that as I was passing by on the bus, none available on the bus though which might have been an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

They've been pimping it pretty hard on Twitter lately: http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/9706/CORE%20DUBLIN%20BUS%20ROUTES.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Who thought cyan text on a yellow background was a good idea?
    Probably the same idiot who schedules real time info maintenance for the times busses are running, instead of the times that aren't
    Also the idiocy of having two numbering schemes on bus stops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Where do you see that?

• Advertisement

AngryLips wrote: »
    Where do you see that?
    The small scale map page, lower right on my iphone

It's blue on yellow on Chrome on WinXp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

heavily advertised in the Metro this week also.

core bus routes: 77a, 140, 151, 46a etc

weren't they supposed to be renumbering the routes so they make some sort of sense - current numbering system looks entirely random.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,558 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Probably the same idiot who schedules real time info maintenance for the times busses are running, instead of the times that aren't
    Also the idiocy of having two numbering schemes on bus stops

To be fair that's only a very small amount of text in cyan and hardly relevant to the map itself.

As for the numbering - London has the same principle. Stops in a particular area are identified by way of a disc at the top with one or two letters, principally for mapping purposes, while all stops have a four digit code for RTPI purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What is the point of this map?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

^ word. what does 'core routes' even mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

^ word. what does 'core routes' even mean?

Less crap than the others? :)

It annoys me that the individual operators are still producing their own independent maps, websites, journey planners, mobile apps and whatnot. I had high hopes that the NTA might at least pretend that we have a coordinated public transport system in Dublin by branding them all together. I don't care if the logos and colour schemes ever change but none of them should be spending money producing anything that pretends the others don't exist and replicating the work, not only of the other operators but also of the NTA.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I think that may have been the intention from the NTA but Dublin Bus won't want to promote such maps etc when they contain services by rival operators and I suspect as long as that is the case they will want to promote their own resources, you can see why from their own point of view however the public should be able to see all their options and not just a select few.

Don't get me wrong I agree with what you are saying and wish that there was one integrated resource that put the public transport user first rather than looking after themselves, as that would be better for everyone, but I can't see companies like DB doing that as they won't want to give mention to rival companies. I'm of the belief that if taxpayers are funding these state companies then having a central, TFL style website will be the best way, however the individual companies are never going to agree to that as they have too much to lose.

It's a similar story at the airport, where last year the CIE travel information desk in T1 was re branded as a generic travel information point but it's anything but which leads to the crazy situation of people being sent through longer journeys with more changes than needed just to make sure they go through CIE services. Any airport travel information desks should be run by Tourism Ireland Sure operators should be allowed their own retail space if required, but it should be clearly marked as such instead of masquerading as something it is not.

lxflyer wrote: »

To be fair that's only a very small amount of text in cyan and hardly relevant to the map itself.

As for the numbering - London has the same principle. Stops in a particular area are identified by way of a disc at the top with one or two letters, principally for mapping purposes, while all stops have a four digit code for RTPI purposes.
    If it's not relevant, it shouldn't be on the map. It smacks of poor quality control to allow such a bad colour combination.

Also why aren't the codes for rtpi visible from a bus shelter? You need to stand out in the rain to see them

The RTPI stop numbers at bus shelters are clearly printed on the timetable information panels that are mounted on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

lxflyer wrote: »
    The RTPI stop numbers at bus shelters are clearly printed on the timetable information panels that are mounted on them.
    A few are numbered twice. Donnybrook garage inbound displays two codes.

A few are numbered twice. Donnybrook garage inbound displays two codes.

Every bus shelter does have two codes:
    1) The Dublin Bus stop number - this is on the bus stop head and the timetable panel in big numbers at the top
    2) The Adshel bus shelter number - this is affixed to the bus shelter itself

Are you saying that the stop at Donnybrook has two different RTPI numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Polar101

Seems like a pretty handy map. Probably wouldn't be great for tourists, but I'll find this useful enough.

Advertisement