Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer poo as fertilizer on a new lawn

Options
  • 23-05-2012 10:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

My new lawn has a few bald patches. i've reseeded and it's still not doing the business. Went to the Phoenix park tonight and collected some deer sh!t to distribute. Got home, stuck on the gloves and rubbed it into the bald spots. Fingers crossed it comes up. The Park is the greenest place in Dublin, surely this has to work :) ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

david75 wrote: »
    My new lawn has a few bald patches. i've reseeded and it's still not doing the business. Went to the Phoenix park tonight and collected some deer sh!t to distribute. Got home, stuck on the gloves and rubbed it into the bald spots. Fingers crossed it comes up. The Park is the greenest place in Dublin, surely this has to work :) ?

:D I never heard of this before - I am most interested in how it turns out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Well if it's anything like horse manure, I think you can expect expect problems. Always a good idea (to avoid risk of burning plants etc) to use only well rotted manure.

But let's see what happens, perhaps Bambi's is different?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

One of the reasons that it's recommended to use fully rotted manure is that it can consume nitrogen as it decomposes and may actually starve the soil temporarily.
    That's my understanding of it anyway.

Hopefully it will work for you but I'd probably be adding it to your compost bin and then adding the rotted manure to your lawn.

Or a liquid feed made from mixing rotted manure in water would be quicker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

bbam wrote: »
    One of the reasons that it's recommended to use fully rotted manure is that it can consume nitrogen as it decomposes and may actually starve the soil temporarily.
    That's my understanding of it anyway.

Hopefully it will work for you but I'd probably be adding it to your compost bin and then adding the rotted manure to your lawn.

Or a liquid feed made from mixing rotted manure in water would be quicker.

That's what i'm gonna do next. All the reading online says it good for lawns, so i'm gonna give it a bash. Couldn't justify buying a big bag of fertilizer for a relatively small lawn, when there's all that poo on my doorstep, so to speak.
    i'll come back in a week with an update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

The only one I ever use less than well rotted manure on is for my spuds, with great results, interested in how you get on. :)

Have never used deer dung though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This could be genius but already could be entirely stupid as my dogs after eating some of it. The new lawn is fenced off and he can only get in if he really tries. Google seems to suggest it's not a big deal though north American deer seem to have health issues. Gonna have to try find out if the deer in the park are healthy. lot to be said for forward planning. i've a feeling i'm about to have vet cancer of the pocket..

Advertisement