Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniskillen to Dundrum, Dublin - making use of the Ashbourne bypass?

Options
  • 25-03-2008 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

When I travel down to Dublin I usually take the N3 - once across the border - all the way to the M50. But I'm wondering would I avoid a bit of congestion and make a time saving if I cut across to the N2 at Navan to take advantage of the dual carriage way from just North of Ashbourne onwards.

The route from Navan over to the N2 is the R153 (Kentstown Road). Is this a goat track or a road of reasonable quality?

I won't be travelling in the rush hour but I still think this might be worth my while - even though I'll be spending a bit extra time on the M50 - as the N3 south of Navan can be badly clogged at any time of the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

I travel from Cavan to Dublin at weekends and almost always find the N2 faster and more reliable than the N3. I travel east on the M50 once I come off though so can't help you from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

How about going via Carrick on Shannon and the N4/M4?

New stretch of dual carriageway from Dromod to Roosky and dual carriageway/motorway from Mullingar to the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

I travel from Navan to the southside of Dublin at peak times 3 days a week and never use the N3 or the N2, the problem with the N3 is queueing at Blanch to get onto the 50 and then the queue to the toll, the problem with the N2 is that as soon as you get to the 50 your slowed to a crawl until the toll, as a result journey times on both routes are very unpredictable and can vary by as much as 30-40 minutes from day to day.

What I do is take the N3 for about 4-5 mile outside Navan then take a right and use the backroads to get to Maynooth and onto the M4 and then head into the 50 on it, I find this way to be quicker, less stressful and have a more consistant journey time than either the N2 or the N3 with the added advantage of saving the toll.:D

To answer the OP's questions:

The N2 very rarely has congestion like the N3 except for at Kilmoon Cross at rush hour so it will be quicker if the 50 is not backed up

The R153 would be one of the best R roads I know and is in good condition all the way from Navan to the N2.

I would take the N2 if I was travelling at off peak times or for the OP Redsoxfan offers good advice

Advertisement