Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A solution for signage in the Gaeltachts

Options
  • 02-06-2005 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

There has been some controversy over the policy of exclusively Gaelige road signs in the Gaeltachts. I understand both sides of the argument. On the one side is the view that if a Gaeltacht is going to mean anything and the language is to survive in the long run then only Gaelige should be used. Then there’s the opinion that Gaelige will not be threatened by bilingual signs and anyway, these are vital to ensure tourists bringing money to the local economy are not put off through getting lost.

Well, what about this for a solution. When looking at examples of gantry signs on another web site I came across a bilingual sign photographed in South Uist, Scotland. It has Gaelic in a large bold font and then a very small English version beneath. Should add that this isn’t my photo and no, I didn't go to Scotland to be photographed beside it:

Bilingual road sign in South Uist

This type of sign appears to reconcile the needs of both language preservation and ease of travel for non-speakers. If you’re going to live in the area I’d imagine that a grasp of Gaelic would be necessary otherwise you’d most likely have to slow down at every sign to read the English version. However, if you’re only there for a two week holiday this wouldn’t be too much trouble and at least guarantees a safeguard if your understanding of Gaelic is next to non-existent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course, other than marketing destinations like "Dingle", it doesn't matter for tourists, because the tourist will be buying a (new) map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Victor wrote:
    Of course, other than marketing destinations like "Dingle", it doesn't matter for tourists, because the tourist will be buying a (new) map.

That only works for signs pointing to places in the Gaeltacht. ISTM to be entirely fair to signpost those only in Irish. The thing that annoys me is when the familiar names of nearby places are removed from signposts. Is it a plot to prevent visitors from leaving?

Though my personal favourite piece of Gaeltach signposting muppetry occurs at a few spots on the coast road from Spiddal towards the west. At places where, I suppose, there are schools, there are text-only signs (no pictograms) bearing the text "Aire, Páistí ag trasnú". Now, on the basis that it's the visiting, non-Irish speakers that are most likely to need that warning, isn't that taking your perogative just a teeny bit too far?

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

MT said
    This type of sign appears to reconcile the needs of both language preservation and ease of travel for non-speakers.

I distinctly remember bilingual signs with the Gaeltacht term prominent when I was a child...

What would the reaction be if we took the Irish equivalent off all the signs in the Galltacht?

So if I'm in An Spidéal, the only signs I will see for Galway will only say "Gaillimh", hmmmmm .... time to buy [strike]some[/strike] lots of R336 signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

ALL road signs in the Cork gaeltacht Ballyvourney/Ballymackery are bilingual

why is there such a fuss being made in Dingle (sorry, An Daingean) when it isnt being applied to all gaeltacht areas?

• Advertisement

All the signs will be made Irish only.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mackerski wrote:
    there are text-only signs (no pictograms) bearing the text "Aire, Páistí ag trasnú". Now, on the basis that it's the visiting, non-Irish speakers that are most likely to need that warning, isn't that taking your perogative just a teeny bit too far?
    Someone obviously feels that preserving "the" language is more important than preserving life and limb.

Can't remember where, but I saw another bad one somewhere - at a dual carriageway junction, the "DANGER TURN BACK WRONG WAY" signs on both sides were in Irish (again, no pictograms)

Now, how the hell is a tourist going to have a clue what that means? Many tourists aren't used to driving on our side of the road, either... :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

Makes absolute sense to me, MT !!

However, the eejits (sorry, powers-that-be) seem intent on putting up Irish language signs only.

Who wants to bet that all these new signs will have to be replaced within c.2 years due to complaints from tourists ?! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Never mind the tourists - a more compelling argument against Irish-only signs is that they discriminate against the majority of Irish people. You have to look quite widely to find any English-only placename signs, even though these have much less capacity to confuse.

Dermot

Advertisement