Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cigarette smoke smell in ensuite bedroom

• 24-07-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I recently moved in a new apartment; The place is all well and good, but there's a nagging issue with the second bedroom often smelling like cigarettes. I can't wrap my head around it.

Essentially I use the room as an utility and, because there is often a bit of a mess inside (clothes ready to be ironed on the bed, boxes with stuff I don't use often and so on), I normally keep the door closed. A few days ago I noticed that going into the room, there often is a very strong smell of cigarette smoke. Needless to say I do not smoke, and I'm the only person living there.

My suspicion goes towards the built-in toilette in the bedroom; It's of course windowless and it has an air vent with a fan. The oddity is that my apartment is on the ground floor...so theoretically, if somebody else in the building was smoking in the toilette the smoke would be coming downwards, which is strange to say the least.

Anything I can do to solve the issue, short of keeping the fan going or...ehm...hiring a professional to "take care" of the "issue" upstairs :D:D:D?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I recently moved in a new apartment; The place is all well and good, but there's a nagging issue with the second bedroom often smelling like cigarettes. I can't wrap my head around it.

Essentially I use the room as an utility and, because there is often a bit of a mess inside (clothes ready to be ironed on the bed, boxes with stuff I don't use often and so on), I normally keep the door closed. A few days ago I noticed that going into the room, there often is a very strong smell of cigarette smoke. Needless to say I do not smoke, and I'm the only person living there.

My suspicion goes towards the built-in toilette in the bedroom; It's of course windowless and it has an air vent with a fan. The oddity is that my apartment is on the ground floor...so theoretically, if somebody else in the building was smoking in the toilette the smoke would be coming downwards, which is strange to say the least.

Anything I can do to solve the issue, short of keeping the fan going or...ehm...hiring a professional to "take care" of the "issue" upstairs :D:D:D?
    What is in toilette,is it just a sink or a toilet too...,and has it been used lately..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

It's a fairly full toilette...shower, sink, toilette. Very small - think about the size of a walk-in closet.

As for the use...I took a couple of showers in there about a month ago while an issue with the immersion was getting sorted (the main toilette's shower runs off the immersion, the one in the second bedroom is electric). Rest of the time it's been essentially unused - occasional cleaning and that's it.

Previous tenant used it regularly I guess, as they were two girls sharing the apartment and one of them occupied the ensuite bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Might not be understanding the set up correctly, but it's it possible that someone standing outside apartment but near the air vent of toillette having a cigarette regularly. (From next door or wherever)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    It's a fairly full toilette...shower, sink, toilette. Very small - think about the size of a walk-in closet.

As for the use...I took a couple of showers in there about a month ago while an issue with the immersion was getting sorted (the main toilette's shower runs off the immersion, the one in the second bedroom is electric). Rest of the time it's been essentially unused - occasional cleaning and that's it.

Previous tenant used it regularly I guess, as they were two girls sharing the apartment and one of them occupied the ensuite bedroom.
    You could have a back smell coming from the sewer pipes.There is a water trap on the toilet,sink and shower.water has to remain in these traps to stop back smells.If they were not in use for awhile the water will evaporate from the waste traps and cause back smells.Can you see any sign of water if you look into the shower waste trap..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Have seen this problem in an apartment before, the person next door was a heavy smoker and the smoke found its way through the extractor fan pipe work and into the apartment next door, sometimes the fans in different apartments are ducted into a single duct that runs through the building, hence the air from your neighbours apt is finding its way into yours through the extractor fan,
    our solution was the management company had to retro fit flaps in the duct work to stop it happening

• Advertisement
Advertisement