Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monitoring gas meter - Landis & Gyr E6S

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The protocol is EN 61107 Mode C (300 /4800 Baud) so.

EN 61107 is the newer version of IEC mentioned above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

This would appear to be the protocol specification - http://www.mayor.de/lian98/doc.en/html/u_iec62056_struct.htm

It says it's for IEC62056, but it was linked from a reference to EN 61107.

I'm trying to work with the meter that maurice1 has, but I'm stuck at the very basic level of trying to get the IR stuff working at all with my Arduino. If I can get it working, I should be able to send a basic request packet to the meter and get a response back.

The data sheet says that there is a tamper indication provided over the optical port, and since the meter has been disassembled we should at least be able to get it to tell us that.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

This may be a starting block, from
    Arduino / file / examples / 04communication

/*
    Software serial multple serial test
    Receives from the hardware serial, sends to software serial.
    Receives from software serial, sends to hardware serial.

Note;
    Not all pins on the Mega and Mega 2560 support change interrupts,
    so only the following can be used for RX:
    10, 11, 12, 13, 50, 51, 52, 53, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69

Not all pins on the Leonardo support change interrupts,
    so only the following can be used for RX:
    8, 9, 10, 11, 14 (MISO), 15 (SCK), 16 (MOSI).

created back in the mists of time
    modified 25 May 2012 by Tom Igoe based on Mikal Hart's example
    This example code is in the public domain.

*/
    #include <SoftwareSerial.h>

SoftwareSerial mySerial(2, 3); // RX, TX

void setup()
    {
    // Open serial communications and wait for port to open:
    Serial.begin(300);
    while (!Serial) {
    ; // wait for serial port to connect. Needed for Leonardo only
    }

Serial.println("Connection Made");

// set the data rate for the SoftwareSerial port
    mySerial.begin(300);
    //mySerial.println("Hello, world?");
    mySerial.println("/?!");
    }

void loop() // run over and over
    {
    if (mySerial.available())
    Serial.write(mySerial.read());
    if (Serial.available())
    mySerial.write(Serial.read());
    }

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Any news on this project?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Sadly no news. I got started on it and hit my standard problem when working with such things - I was missing a to-it. I have a square to-it, but I need to get a round to-it.

But seriously, no progress. I tried to get some IR stuff going as a test bed and couldn't get that to work properly. Maurice gave me a loan of his old meter to see if we could "see" anything coming from it over IR. If I ever get the basics working (hopefully in the next few months) I'll see if I can get it to talk to the meter. The next step after that is to see what sense we can make of whatever we "see".

I'm open to suggestions if anyone wants to try talking to the meter.

z

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, I am interested in this and took a different route.

I contacted Current Cost who make a monitor for electricity and have a device to attach to a gas meter but they say our meter is 'not compatible'.

Next I contacted Bord Gais Networks and I will let you know how that goes.

I have contacted Landis and Gyr and have been given a number to call and a name, so that might be progress. Again, I will post here if I get anything positive.

Given that the meter is sold as being compatible with pre-payment, I would think the protocol will be highly sensitive, and there will be a very real reluctance to hand out full information on the protocol, but if I can persuade the three above contacts to get together and devise a product for monitoring energy consumption, it will be win-win for all actors involved.

Bord Gais Networks did say they will be launching remote meter reading in the fullness of time - but no mention of time scale.

Well, I contacted Landis and Gyr and talked to an engineer who works on the gas meters. He said the E6 S or E6 V meter used by BGE has been superceded by a smart meter of a different design that incorporated external communications. He also said that the protocols used to communicate with the meter are confidential and would not be released to the likes of me as once entry to the meter was achieved much mischief could be done such as changing tariffs etc.

On the other hand, he said that BGE could request a monitor and that would be possible.

I think BGE are the only way forward. I have yet to speak to them so will keep you up to date of any progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

On the older meters I've used magpie readers and they worked ok.

http://www.marshalltufflexenergy.com/sinergy/which-product/magpeye-opto-ferro/

Shame that the digital meters have no obvious indicator and dint come with an opto isolated pulse output

The L and G meter does have an opto communication port, but its protocols are not available, and are confidential.

BGN do intend to add remote reading to it, but not yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The L and G meter does have an opto communication port, but its protocols are not available, and are confidential.

BGN do intend to add remote reading to it, but not yet.

Opto isolators and opto comms are different . A isolator will give you a pulse output

ted1 wrote: »
    Opto isolators and opto comms are different . A isolator will give you a pulse output

I know that but it is opto-comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

Maybe if we cant get the infared on the meter to work,we should look at:

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/bcm-sensor-technologies-bvba/product-56103-1698527.html

No idea on cost!

You cannot break into the gas line. It can only be done by a qualified RGII gas fitter - by law.

Bord Gais Networks are the only people to drive this. The new meters do not have the bits fitted but could be retrofitted. Clearly it is highly encrypted because, with access, it is possible to 'adjust' the meter.

Advertisement