Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rust

Options
  • 10-12-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Anyone here play Rust?
    If so reply! :) I really want to play this game actively with someone.

http://playrust.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivjM9vmdBI4

Its being released on steam sometime this month (Tomorrow I think!) and people like myself how bought it early alpha already have access to it on steam.

I've been playing it a ton the past month, I was lucky enough to be able to buy one of the few keys going early alpha. I think its the perfect balance between a game like dayz and minecraft. I know there is a lot of games out there that try to copy both dayz and minecraft but this one is actually good and its pretty unique as far as I can tell.

The crafting is great, you can build your own base to store all your loot. There is player communities. There is plenty of weapons from make shift bows to m4's. You gather resources such as food, stone, wood & metal. You need to keep warm at nights to help keep your food bar up. I could go on and on about this game really and its still only in early alpha.

Im not saying go out and buy it. Just look it up and you should be able to tell if its for you or not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Is this the one developed by the guys behind Garry's Mod (or was that just Garry?!? :pac:)?

Anyway, had been watching this, DayZ and a few others without really hitching my wagon to any of them. But this one certainly looks the part. Will keep an eye on feedback over the next couple of weeks. If it's positive, I'll go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Its the fella that made garys mod alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I like the sound of the premise. Will keep an eye on this game for when it gets finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone playing this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone playing this ?

Just installed it there, anyone else playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Been thinking about getting it but its getting hacked so badly.

Been thinking about getting it but its getting hacked so badly.

Yeah i seen that, finding the right server will be important. I Played for an hour or so there and im liking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

So many of these types of games around at the moment, it's hard to tell which one to go with.I picked up the Dayz as its a no brainer that it'll be heavily populated further down the line. The rest of them ,I'm not sure. Bought far too many games that have little to no people playing it a month or two after launch.That's why I reckon I'll hold off on picking this up till it's at least nearing a finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Picked this up at the start of the weekend, it's pretty funny but you really need the right server. Brother and I were on one server where we were building and stocking up good loot for a few days

When I logged back on the house was destroyed and everything was gone, turned out that the admins raided and destroyed everyone's house. They were having gun fights with people and were losing to them so they banned a load of them. Put a dampener on it and had to find a new server as that one had a mass exodus because of dickhead moves by the admins.

Played on one of the UK official servers, very hard as nearly every space is occupied and you have roaming gangs killing new spawns.

I think there's far too many survival games out there at the moment, this is one is funny but it's pretty much reverted to DayZ where people just slaughter each other on sight.

So many of these types of games around at the moment, it's hard to tell which one to go with.I picked up the Dayz as its a no brainer that it'll be heavily populated further down the line. The rest of them ,I'm not sure. Bought far too many games that have little to no people playing it a month or two after launch.That's why I reckon I'll hold off on picking this up till it's at least nearing a finished product.

Ive been playing Rust sense last summer when it was in really early alhpa and they only sold a few copies a week. It has always had a stable population with at least 2 full servers 24/7, now that its on steam it is rapidly increasing and is actually kinda hard to get on during peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive watched some streams on twitch over xmas and it looks great, looks very polished too.

I'm off today so i'm going to check the forums for a fresh server and spend a few hours trying it out. If anybody wants to join, just let me know here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Im playing on a decent server, helpful admins and not everyone is a a**hole :P GreatBritishGaming is the name, just been wiped yesterday and its waiting to go back up so should be back up later. Really liking this game, although its really hard to meet up with friends haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

As someone who used to absolutely love Minecraft back in the day, and a current fan of Dayz, this game looks like great fun.

Tempted to pick it up big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

y8FVK2O.jpg

Ha read that aswell while considering buying it! Watched a few LP's and it does look like good craic, good server and a good gang is what's needed for it!

I haven't played in over 2 weeks now because I was a bit busy but I think ill pop on tonight if anyone wants to join me? I'll be starting fresh though.

Edit: Thought it might be worth mentioning if this game become pretty popular here on boards that we should set up and Irish server.

Is it worth the near €19 right now in it's alpha form?

Is it worth the near €19 right now in it's alpha form?

I about it for €24 at good while back and I thought it was worth my investment then and now its much more polished, less bugs and more content and still in the early dads of alpha. Id recommend watching people playing on twitch for awhile and make your decision based on that. I doubt it will be on sale any time so as it wasn't over the Christmas and its still currently one of the highest games purchased daily.

Someone mentioned about servers being hacked - is that a big issue? I would probably give it a bit more time to ensure that proper communities are built up. I found Garry's Mod's Trouble in Terrorist Town pretty much unplayable until I found a server that had a good admin and moderating team.

• Advertisement

killanena wrote: »
    I haven't played in over 2 weeks now because I was a bit busy but I think ill pop on tonight if anyone wants to join me? I'll be starting fresh though.

Edit: Thought it might be worth mentioning if this game become pretty popular here on boards that we should set up and Irish server.

I'll join you. What time ya thinking of starting at?
    Someone mentioned about servers being hacked - is that a big issue? I would probably give it a bit more time to ensure that proper communities are built up. I found Garry's Mod's Trouble in Terrorist Town pretty much unplayable until I found a server that had a good admin and moderating team.
    Steam started banning people 2 days ago but its still a big problem as far as ive read. Finding the right server seems very important.

smithy1981 wrote: »
    I'll join you. What time ya thinking of starting at?

Probably around 7ish after dinner, Add IrishRook on steam :) I know of a few teamspeak servers we can use.

killanena wrote: »
    Probably around 7ish after dinner, Add IrishRook on steam :) I know of a few teamspeak servers we can use.

Done :) Message me later when your on so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This is making me hold off on buying it as well. Really interested but i can't imagine a game rife with hackers will be very fun atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

just looking at the steam rust forums. Lot of people saying that the game is close to unplayable with all the hackers and that the banning system isn't working.After reading a bit here , I was going to pick it up today, but after reading the forums, I think I'll definitely hold off for a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 69Conor69

Irish / EU server here folks:

IP: 85.236.109.2
    Port: 28715

I currently admin the server. It's PvP with NO AIRDROPS. That said, i won't let it become a grief-fest server. About 8 regular, talkative players so far with a cap of 50. Server is still in it's early days so no-one will be handicapped.

I've a mumble server I can put up too if the user-base wish.

Conor

To join a server with an IP address:
    Press F1 in the main menu and type net.connect 85.236.109.2:28715

69Conor69 wrote: »
    Irish / EU server here folks:

IP: 85.236.109.2
    Port: 28715

I currently admin the server. It's PvP with NO AIRDROPS. That said, i won't let it become a grief-fest server. About 8 regular, talkative players so far with a cap of 50. Server is still in it's early days so no-one will be handicapped.

I've a mumble server I can put up too if the user-base wish.

Conor

This prompted me to buy it to be honest.

I was reading about it and a lot of peoples problems at the moment stem from the community, with people hacking/duping, I think once you find a good server then it becomes a hell of a lot more fun and less annoying.

I'll be on this server later tonight for a while, with a bit of luck!

For anyone else that may not have the greatest computer/laptop, if you press F1 and type grass.on false it will disable a good bit of the grass and imrpove FPS a small bit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 69Conor69

Excellent...another member from here joined the server yesterday also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I was reading RPS and came across something in the comments that sums these kinds of games up perfectly for me:
    It’s just a slow long winded version of Quake. Only no one starts with a pistol and the powers ups are spread thinly over a gigantic map.

Pretty much what I don't like about them. :P

Advertisement