Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kickstarter thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Fist of Awesome predated this thread I believe but it was an early Kickstarter success and finally got its PC release day.

It's currently on sale for $3.99 and that nets you a PC and mobile key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I'm slacking, hadn't posted in this thread in 3 weeks :P

So, Shiness has made its goal and now has 7 days in which to make:

$40,000 for a PS4/One release.
    $50,000 for New Game+, special notorious and monster quests
    $70,000 Wii U release

More info here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438269196/shiness/posts/860862

The FranknJohn Kickstarter from Dublin based BitSmith Games went live this morning.

Getting some nice early coverage from Eurogamer too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Looks decent!

Shiness also looks good. I dont help out kickstarters and only in the last couple of days have been looking at it but it is very interesting.

Does anyone have a good place where I can read about success stories/ failures, specific to kickstarter? Like a good synopsis? Youtube videos? Not of kickstarter trailers but events that have been significant on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Kyotokid

Good luck to the bitSmith guys, we could use a Irish game Kickstarter success story :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I supported this game this week,....Sheltered, post apocalyptic gamey type thing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/29211325/sheltered

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

InSomnia - Atmospheric single-player/co-op RPG set in a "living" dieselpunk sandbox with real-time tactical gameplay.

My latest backing and I hope it makes it. Looks very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Doesn't look like bitSmith Games will hit target unfortunately. But at least that guy got $30,000+ to make potato salad.....

🤪

The Deer God

Pretty looking Metroidvania style game where you play a deer through its lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

"There just aren't enough zombie/apocalypse survival sandbox games", said nobody ever. Survive the Nights has potential though. Saw it on Steam Greenlight ages ago and forgot about it until now, when RPS posted a small piece on it. If nothing else, the pledges are small enough to take a chance on - a £6 pledge will get you the finished game for example, and their low pricing strategy seems to have paid off already, with base funding targets already reached.

• Advertisement

Yeah, best of luck with this one.

Now this could be good - Hard West; a turn based tactical shooter, with a world map, exploration and RPG elements, all in a "weird west" setting. That is, an old west setting twisted into someting sinister.

In the words of lead game designer, Kacper Szymczak, "think X-Com combat with Heroes of Might and Magic world map".

Yeah, pretty sure I'm backing this.

I'm broke right now, but looks like it'll get to its goal easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Glebee

Oak76 wrote: »
    Now this could be good - Hard West; a turn based tactical shooter, with a world map, exploration and RPG elements, all in a "weird west" setting. That is, an old west setting twisted into someting sinister.

In the words of lead game designer, Kacper Szymczak, "think X-Com combat with Heroes of Might and Magic world map".

Yeah, pretty sure I'm backing this.

This could be good. Its got my attention anyway..

Hitman meets Splinter Cell in a WWII/Cold War setting in Death to Spies 3. There's a demo available too apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭VG31

Oak76 wrote: »
    Hitman meets Splinter Cell in a WWII/Cold War setting in Death to Spies 3. There's a demo available too apparently.

I've been following that game for a while and have backed it. The first two games are very good. The new demo is worth playing too.

A few mates of mine just launched a Kickstarter for their local multiplayer pirate themed brawler, Mutiny!.

It's also on Steam Greenlight.

Uber Entertainment of Planetary Annihilation fame have a Kickstarter for their other project, Human Resources.

It looks absolutely awesome imo. Love the idea, the art direction, the tech behind it and the pitch itself.

RPS have done a write up on it here, Skynet Versus Cthulhu: Human Resources

The Kickstarter page itself is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

animaal wrote: »
    This game has me worried that it will take over my life. I played the original for the first time about 30 years ago, and have been playing it semi-regularly ever since.

For anybody who likes turn-based games, I'd recommend you give it a try. It's being made by the same guy who wrote the original in 1985, and the original XCom games.

Keep in mind it's a *very* early preview, but it has functional multiplayer gameplay.

Six months late but I had no idea of this! I must have also played Chaos for the first time 30 years ago. Most recently I wasted an hour on a flight last week playing it on my iPad. Epic game.

• Advertisement

The Black Glove.

Coming from ex Irrational Games developers.
    An eerie, surrealistic, first-person game experience by an independent team of developers who helped make BioShock Infinite & BioShock.

Welcome to The Equinox, an eerie 1920s theatre that appears unstuck from conventional reality. A venue pervaded by weird dream logic, inexplicable holes in space, unshielded x-ray art installations, and tasteful use of crushed velvet.

The Equinox has three creators in residence: the artist Marisol, the filmmaker Avery Arnault, and musical act Many Embers. Their work is in bad shape when you arrive and it's taken a strange, metaphysical toll on the theatre. Time flows backward in areas. Weird things peek out of once-sealed doorways. Unearthly music plays.

As the latest Curator, it falls to you to get The Equinox back on its feet. It's your job to change the creators' past to improve their work in the present. How? The hosts Hazel and Cribbage explain that there are "certain games of skill and chance that allow us to interact with... what you might call 'fourth-dimensional space.'"

Another project from some former Irrational staff...

The Flame and The Flood

I'm not usually one for procedurally generated survival rogue style games, mainly because I don't have the time for them, but this one has definitely piqued my interest.

Lovely art style, interesting concept, neat characters and a damn good team behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

A sequel to Ultima Underworld (Ultima Ascendant) is about to go to Kickstarter on 4/2/15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

All they had to really do in the video is repeat "Looking Glass Studios" over and over and it's a take my money now situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Toe Jam and Earl! I usually don't do kickstarter but I might even go buy one of those USB MegaDrive controllers for this one :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1578116861/toejam-and-earl-back-in-the-groove

Bring on the Icarus Wings!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, even for someone who loves that faux 8/16 bit pixelart style, I'm beginning to find it all a bit much; every second Kickstarter now seems to aim for that nostalgic art style without demonstrating much individuality. At least older projects such as Hyper Light Drifter have a flair and panache in their pixelart.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eastyy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Man, even for someone who loves that faux 8/16 bit pixelart style, I'm beginning to find it all a bit much; every second Kickstarter now seems to aim for that nostalgic art style without demonstrating much individuality. At least older projects such as Hyper Light Drifter have a flair and panache in their pixelart.
    got to say i agree problem i have is i feel a lot of the pixel art is being used in a lazy way ....when you get games that do not look anywhere near as good as nes games i have to question.

And people may say there only indie games but dust: the elysian tale was done by one person and that looks great

new Space fighter game called Starfighter inc.

• Advertisement

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't usually do the kickstarter thing but I backed this game Galaxy Heist because I like the sound of it and it's actually coming to xbox as well as PC.

A space sim crossed with an online FPS basically:
    Galaxy Heist is:
    • A game focused on boarding other players ships
    • Large teams split into 4-5 player sub teams and put on large flagships together
    • Take control of the flagships turrets or jump into a small fighter to help defend the ship
    • Use the tether mechanic to force yourself onto other ships
    • Fight inside ships to take over and destroy them from the inside
    • 100% skill based, no pay to win or grinding your way to a stronger character
    • Play competitive PvP, custom players vs AI matches, or offline
    • Works with Oculus Rift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Not a game as such but Zelda game music with an Irish spin...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/songsofzelda/eimear-noone-presents-songs-of-zelda-a-link-to-the

Eimear Noone is collaborating with the DIT Ensemble to create "Songs of Zelda: A Link to the Celts" - a new CD that will capture these Irish interpretations for all time.

The plan is to record the musicians from September to November, with an eye to having the CD ready for iDIG 2016 - the weekend of April 29th, 2016. Naturally, the DIT Ensemble will be featured during the festival performing the arrangements from the CD.

if you liked AirBuccaneers or Guns of Icarus and you like like Pirate games then this could be for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Niska

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/350275419/mooncrest-former-bioware-devs-fuse-story-and-tacti?ref=category_popular

Mooncrest, an action-RPG from a group of ex BioWare employees.

Combining Souls-like combat, strong story of Sisterhood and challenging puzzle solving.

Kickstarter for the Rollcage-like GRIP is now live.

I'll be pretty gutted if this one doesn't succeed but they seem to have a strong campaign page there so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

^ Looks great :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Everspace looks fantastic. A rogue-like space shooter, built with the Unreal 4 engine.
    A single-player 3D space shooter with rogue-like elements and non-linear storytelling from the creators of the "Galaxy on Fire" series

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rockfishgames/everspace

Battletech turn based game like Shadowrun

Skerries wrote: »
    Battletech turn based game like Shadowrun
    Smashed its goal already, come ooooooon Stage 2...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Links234 wrote: »

Almost funded that one too; read about it when its Kickstarter began and thought the idea really intriguing - still do! Just shows that a modicum of common sense when it comes to Kickstarter projects goes a long way. Even if they track down this Golgom Games crowd, I doubt people will see their money again :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There was another high profile disaster there recently. I can't find a news story but I think it's the one with all the ex Final Fantasy people contracting on it. The project has been without a programmer for 2 years and the programmer they wanted isn't available.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There was another high profile disaster there recently. I can't find a news story but I think it's the one with all the ex Final Fantasy people contracting on it. The project has been without a programmer for 2 years and the programmer they wanted isn't available.

Unsung Story Is A $660,000 Kickstarter Disaster

This one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,849 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gizmo wrote: »

Hmm, maybe I'm confusing it with something. They were hoping to get the programmer of Ori and the Blind Forest on board.

Edit: Found it, it's Project Pheonix. It's absolutely insane that they tried to go ahead with a project without a programmer! Thank god I didn't back it. It's been 2 years now and it was backed to the tune of $1 million. Unless there is a prototype or the team is at least competent then I'm not biting. If the project has contractors involved it isn't a sign of quality since they have other projects on the go and if the project fails to take off it's no skin off their back.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/28/two-years-and-a-million-dollars-later-project-phoenix-still-doesnt-have-a-programmer/

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe I'm confusing it with something. They were hoping to get the programmer of Ori and the Blind Forest on board.

Edit: Found it, it's Project Pheonix. It's absolutely insane that they tried to go ahead with a project without a programmer! Thank god I didn't back it. It's been 2 years now and it was backed to the tune of $1 million. Unless there is a prototype or the team is at least competent then I'm not biting. If the project has contractors involved it isn't a sign of quality since they have other projects on the go and if the project fails to take off it's no skin off their back.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/28/two-years-and-a-million-dollars-later-project-phoenix-still-doesnt-have-a-programmer/

Jesus...
    “Programming was listed on the KS page as one of our major risks to the project and we got hit by it,” reads the update.
    Programming was a major risk? No ****.
    After having waited for Clark to then have him never join, the team working on Project Phoenix are left with a lot of unfinished work, with none of the textures, script, level design, particle effects, voiceovers, and localization done, and with no Unreal 4 executable to work with either.
    So what were they actually doing? :confused:

And people give out about delayed kickstarters like Mighty No. 9, at least there's a finished game coming :)

another contentious Kickstarter is Mechwarrior Tactics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The Nullpoint
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../the-nullpoint

Looks seriously cool. Like a cross between Dead Space and the old Fallout series.

You can download a prototype of the game here too http://nullpoint.schellgames.com/

Advertisement