Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Badly corroded immersion element

Options
  • 19-07-2014 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come across something like this? The element has only been in the tank for about three years. It stopped working probably two years ago. We have our own well and the system is pressurised.

We got the water tested a year or so ago and it didn't seem to suggest we would have this problem from what I could understand of it and in discussion with the testing company.

Can anyone offer an opinion please?

Test Result Unit Method
    Hardness 140 mg/l CaCO3 P213
    pH 6.4 Units P233
    Iron Total 475.5 ug/l P279*
    Manganese Total <50 ug/l P279*
    Nitrate 27.76 mg/l NO3 P281
    Ammonia <0.02 mg/l NH3-N P281
    Chloride 14.4 mg/l CL P281
    Nitrite <0.05 mg/l NO2 P281
    Conductivity @ 20°C 236 μs/cm P284

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

I'm no expert in this area but I do know a little having seeing similar problems many times over the years with ground Wells. The Basic problem is you need a filtration system fitted to your well water. I wouldn't know enough to be able to comment on you're figures except to see that you have a low ph and and an Iron and Manganese problem which are common in nearly all wells in Ireland. Especially in Deep Well where there is little or no oxygen. Also where the ph is below 7 or acidic. Seven being neutral. To correct ph levels you need a special filter.

What it does is attack the metal over time and can prove expensive if not dealt with.
    There's a lot of info online if you do a search.
    Be careful which company you employ to supply you're Filtration as there are a lot of cowboys in the business now. There are also some very good companies.
    So do you're research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭iwb

Hi Sky6. Thanks for the reply. When I got the results of the test several months ago, I did briefly look into getting a filter. At the time I was thinking it is almost €1,000 and I can't afford it but the results didn't seem too bad. Having seen this, I think I can't afford not to do it!

Anyone got any recommendations for a company in the New Ross or general area who they have had good results with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

iwb wrote: »
    Hi Sky6. Thanks for the reply. When I got the results of the test several months ago, I did briefly look into getting a filter. At the time I was thinking it is almost €1,000 and I can't afford it but the results didn't seem too bad. Having seen this, I think I can't afford not to do it!

Anyone got any recommendations for a company in the New Ross or general area who they have had good results with?

do you use salt for the iron?

I don't use anything. We built the house six years ago and never even thought of filtering or water treatment. I assume there is a way of adding salt to the water in a measured way? I think I will have to get the proper filter sorted anyway.

Firstly, Don't panic you have a few problems but don't jump into any rash decisions. If you've lived in the house for 6 years and no one died and a lot of the damage has already been done.
    You'll need a few filtered approach starting with the low PH problem. This will help with all other problems.
    You have dissolved Iron and Manganese which is not visible in the Water, as opposed to solid. Each requires a different approach to resolve.
    You then have the Hardness problem to also deal with. You will also most likely need a reverse osmosis system for your kitchen sink for Drinking Water.
    Best advice is to read plenty of links on the net using the words in your test report.
    Don't be tempted by any electronic pulse or magnetic solutions, they just don't work.
    I'll send a pm later with one or two recommendations which I believe to be good.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sky 6. I will spend some time online as you suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

looking at the photo of the element I don't see anything extraordinary about it, when that element blew 2 years ago it more than likely blew a hole out through it which let the water in to the internals of the element causing swelling and splitting, all the green colour is coming from the copper, I fit all sorts of elements on a daily basis and failure can be down to poor quality, voltage surge etc.

You possibly could be right, What do you think caused the element to blow. I suspect that you're not to familiar with the corrosive effects of untreated Well Water on pipework Cylinders and equipment.
    You only have to read the Ops Water test report to realise there's a problem with the Water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I see in a few council estates that i get sub work off that it is not uncommon to replace an immersion every 12- 18 months in some houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Sky6 in my post I said the most common cause of element failure is poor build quality, voltage surge etc. actually I am quite familiar with private water supplies and the issues associated with wells, pumps etc, lime is usually the biggest killer of elements , not much signs of lime or iron on that element from what I can see on the photo, the op must be broke from fitting kettle elements . ps I am not disputing that the water from the well hasn't impurities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

The voltage surges would want to be on a huge scale to be prematurely failing elements.

Advertisement