Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2KW Oil heater

Options
  • 19-11-2013 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

Currently with Airtricity, how much would it cost to run a 2KW OIL filled heater per hour, peak and non peak times.

Roughly speaking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

One simple google:

http://www.airtricity.com/uk/home/products/current-offers/airtricity-standard/

Depending on package 36c peak and 18c of-peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Rather depends on the size and insulation qualities of the space being heated and other variables. There will be a thermostat on the heater so it will not be running 100% of the time only turning on when the room temperature drops. So working out what it uses cannot be assessed without other information (even roughly). If it is on every 10 minutes for 10 minutes then clearly the running costs will not be €0.36 per hour but only 50% of that.
    If it is a small well insulated room and there are 2 or 3 people in the room the heater will come on a lot less than in an empty draughty room.The required temperature will also have a big effect based on the ambient.
    To get a better idea of actual running costs in your specific envrionment you can get a small energy meter and run it via that to actually see the usage but you need the heater first of course! Maybe get one on a trial. Otherwise lots of complicated calculations for a true figure.
    I realise it was a simple question but I don't think the OP wanted a simple answer that was so misleading but actual guidance on the reality of using an electric heater.
    Or maybe I got that wrong.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Keep your eye out, lidl / aldi do energy meter plugs for a tenner every so often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

Depending on package 36c peak and 18c of-peak.

Really?

Lord God, I'm getting some electric radiators this week so, as an hour of Gas (which controls my rads / shower) currently costs me €2.10 peak (from around midnight to 9am) and €1.30 off-peak (from 9am to Midnight).

I'm on pre-pay and that's based on how much my credit drops after an hour's use.

Advertisement