Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Bonsai

Options
  • 29-05-2011 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I just ordered Chinese Elm seeds on ebay, they're here in a few days, I have a tiny ceramic pot, and some pruning utensils, that's it. I have no idea what I have gotten myself into, I really want this to work, so I need TIPS people!

What soils should I use?
    How the HELL should I plant this b**ch of a tree?
    Please help. :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

naraicm wrote: »
    How the HELL should I plant this beech of a tree?
    Please help.
    you said it was elm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 naraicm

it's clearly supposed to say bitch..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ah, gardening puns.

Sorry, OP, I can't help, but good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,135 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As a gardener, rather than a bonsai person, I think you would want to grow yourself a nice little tree (a bit past seedling stage first) then maybe continue to grow it in very small pots, cutting off roots as they emerge from the bottom of the pot, and occasionally tipping it out of the pot to trim the roots some more until you have something that is starting to look like a small tree. Possibly you could grow it in one of those little peat pots and trim the roots as they appear. Then put it in your ceramic pot and start bonsai-ing it.

That is not expert advice, but I will be interested to see if the experts agree!:D

Edit - http://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/chinese%20elm%20care%20guide.htm just found this, nothing about seeds but the rest is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

I have yet to keep a bonsai alive so best of luck to you. Why don't you call into the bonsai shop in the powerscourt centre (if your in Dublin) if not phone them and ask advise. Best of luck. If you are successful, share how you did it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement