Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Has anyone drove

Options
  • 04-09-2007 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

a Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI DSG GT SPORT 140BHP??? (New, 2008)

What do people think of it, I know there was a thread about Golf (and people's distain of them, and I dont want this to turn into a flame war) but it s the car I want. Just wondering has anyone driven one and what were people's opinion of DSG. I know people dont like the 1.4 but when your only 24 and its your first motor, gotta think of insurance, tax etc.

I have looked at the others from the same class ie honda type s and astra sport hatch but always come back to the golf, just summit bout VWs.

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

you can go to the future and drive a 2008 golf now... cool.. only messing.

Haven't driven one, but have you tested all the other cars you're looking at too? Just have to remember that on the golf you have to pay for every little extra and it will easily go 8k over your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

steve06 wrote:
    you can go to the future and drive a 2008 golf now... cool.. only messing.

when you get to 88 miles an hour, you can ;)

thanks for the advice, yeah unfortunatly you pay extra for the vw name and they are bit more sparse than others but always felt they were a lot more substanial in build than the others, even the polo felt bigger

All I can say about the golf is that a friend of mine has had a few and he says the new models aren't build as sturdy as the older ones...

I'd have another look at the Civic but that's just personal preference. I think the extras for the money are great, and they're bullet proof too.

yeah? and i hoping to get one before they changed to the mark vi because i heard the mark v was too dear to produce and the newer ones wouldnt be as well built

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Joe as a golf owner I can highly recommend them :D

They feel excellent and with the right colour & alloys look great. How much is your budget? What extras you thinking?

You mention the mark VI - to be honest that coming out in late 08 would put me off a bit as once it does your care will look dated within a year or two....what do you think? I wouldn't say the mark VI will be cheaply built compared to the mark V so I wouldn't let that worry you. They are improving their manufacturing process to be more efficient, especially for the doors but I don't think there'll be a drop in quality...

I've driven the TSI DSG GT and was well impressed, but I would be considering mines 80bhp :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've no experience of the TSI engines myself, but I have a MKV GTI, and I'm very very happy with it, its a superb car. Looks the part, build quality generally very good, and most importantly shifts pretty well through the gears!

They've recently restyled the GT slightly to look a bit more like the GTI (black centre section on grill, etc), and it looks the better for it. I think its priced too closely to its big brother though... for the price of a new GT, you could pick up a relatively new GTI (assuming insurance isn't an issue).

Oh, and the MKVI isn't due till late next year (at earliest).

Thanks theboinkmaster, the new model coming out is a pity (depreciation etc. )

budegt is between 26 and 28k, naturally would like to get as big an engine as possible but insurance, tax bit. So the 1.4 with 140 bhp looks good (trying to find a dealership with that exact model is v hard). I really like the idea of the dsg gearbox/clutch do a good bit of city driving so it ll be good for that.

extras: would only be the ipod connector and metallic paint. I saw on ebay you can get the 18" gti wheels for about a grand so maybe a lil down the road ill get them (love them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oilsheik

The VRT changes in the budget could impact on TSI I know for the 170bhps version the Co2 is something around the 174g/km that not far off the amount a 318 produces yet it has a 2lt engine. Just IMHO the tax advantages of cars like the TSI and audi 1.8T could be reduced with the budget, just worth bearing in mind. Golf extra's while expensive relative to the Jap offering are reasonable compared to the A3 options you really get screwed on the A3.

oilsheik wrote:
    Golf extra's while expensive relative to the Jap offering are reasonable compared to the A3 options you really get screwed on the A3.

Agreed. Example, met paint on A3 is ~950 euro. Its about 500 euro on an equivalent Golf. Paint is paint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭yellow012

steve06 wrote:
    Just have to remember that on the golf you have to pay for every little extra and it will easily go 8k over your budget.
    No you don't, base model Golfs come with air conditioning, loads of airbags, central locking, electric windows, cd/mp3 player as standard. The GT model comes very well specced. Sports suspension, alloy wheels, leather pack, that DSG gearbox.

The poster is looking for info about a 2008 spec Golf not a 1998 one:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

joe316 wrote:
    I know people dont like the 1.4 but when your only 24 and its your first motor, gotta think of insurance, tax etc.

I think your insurance might have something to say about the fact that this 1.4 has 140 bhp :D

yellow012 wrote:
    No you don't, base model Golfs come with air conditioning, loads of airbags, central locking, electric windows, cd/mp3 player as standard. The GT model comes very well specced. Sports suspension, alloy wheels, leather pack, that DSG gearbox.

The poster is looking for info about a 2008 spec Golf not a 1998 one:rolleyes:
    I know he's not talking about a 98 golf but you do have to pay for extras! And it looks like the standard extras have changed because I know people who bought baseline golfs and didn't even get colour coded handles where you do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

has anyone driven*

sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

joe316 wrote:
    Thanks theboinkmaster, the new model coming out is a pity (depreciation etc. )

budegt is between 26 and 28k, naturally would like to get as big an engine as possible but insurance, tax bit. So the 1.4 with 140 bhp looks good (trying to find a dealership with that exact model is v hard). I really like the idea of the dsg gearbox/clutch do a good bit of city driving so it ll be good for that.

extras: would only be the ipod connector and metallic paint. I saw on ebay you can get the 18" gti wheels for about a grand so maybe a lil down the road ill get them (love them)

Had a quick look on carzone at the 5dr is €28,250 and 3 dr €28,300 is that right?

Can you def get the ipod connector? When I was getting my 07 they said it wasn't available in Ireland only UK but maybe it is now. I'd maybe suggest getting the centre armrest also? Presume it comes with fogs as standard? You'd def want them and upgrade the alloys as the standard ones are only 16"? I also got the upgraded speakers in the back - only about €200 and made a good difference - not sure if the GT has them as standard.

And, this is just my opinion as it's all down to personal taste, I think the 5 door looks much better than the 3 door - looks sportier. I know that doesn't make sense but I spent 2 years looking at golfs whilst trying to decide on which to get and I think the 5 door def looks better. The audi a3 on the other hand looks better as a 3 door. Think it's something to do with the length and stying of the doors. Also I personally don't think GTI alloys looks good on any other car other than a proper GTI - just looks wrong IMHO.

What colour you thinking? I remember deciding between the golf and a3 and couldn't beleive the a3 was nearly a grand just for metallic :eek:

Come back in Jan 08 and post some pics!!

Can you def get the ipod connector? When I was getting my 07 they said it wasn't available in Ireland only UK but maybe it is now. I'd maybe suggest getting the centre armrest also?
    Yes you can. It comes with the armrest - i.e. its integrated into the armrest, so you buy both as a "pack". Can also be retro-fitted, if it wasn't specced from factory, but you'll have to put it into the glovebox in this case.
    Presume it comes with fogs as standard? You'd def want them and upgrade the alloys as the standard ones are only 16"?
    The GT has 17" alloys std. Although, I'm not certain - I know VW have messed around with specs recently so it might be just the 170bhp version that has the proper "GT" spec.
    And, this is just my opinion as it's all down to personal taste, I think the 5 door looks much better than the 3 door - looks sportier.
    Could not disagree more. The current Golf looks particularly well in 3-door, with the "kicked-up" rear window. I personally think that smaller hatchbacks look odd when 5 doors are squeezed into the relatively short body.
    The 5-door Audi A3 is different in that regard, because its been lengthened over the 3-door version, giving it a more estate-like appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

JoeA3 wrote:
    Could not disagree more. The current Golf looks particularly well in 3-door, with the "kicked-up" rear window. I personally think that smaller hatchbacks look odd when 5 doors are squeezed into the relatively short body.
    And I couldn't disagree with you more. I agree with Theboinkmaster, I think there is just too much metal around the rear wing of the 3door while I think the 5door looks better proportioned.

fletch wrote:
    And I couldn't disagree with you more. I agree with Theboinkmaster, I think there is just too much metal around the rear wing of the 3door while I think the 5door looks better proportioned.

The world would be a boring place if we all thought the same, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

That it would :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is the Mark VI Golf doing away with independent rear suspension?

Ipod connectivity is a mere detail but fundamental engineering such as this really is important.

hi guys thanks for all the replies, think ive really set my mind on the Golf.

As someone said my insurance comp might have something to say on that exact type, may have to drop down to the comfortline but at least ill be able to get the alloys (the GTI ones :P). It would be a shame but if the insurance is huge :(. There are still a good few standard items on the comfortline, once it has the likes of air con, airbags (fingers crossed) decent stereo, power steering (been driving a 96 polo for the last few years and its like a tank with no PS).

Personnally i preder the 3 door, no use for 5 so prefer to save that little bit extra.

As Henry Ford III said I think the mark vi wont have the independent rear suspension because it was costing vw too much to produce that why im hoping to get the mark v since (by my own flawed logic) if its costing more to produce than the proposed newer one surely its better. Plus i've seen a few spy of the mark vi and its not hugely different apart from the very audish front nose.

Was thinking of getting the dark grey paint to answer TheBoinkMaster.

Looked at the a3, lovely car but my the time you add even a few extras its way past my budget.

• Advertisement

I would seriously doubt they'd compromise the handling/ride quality of the current car by removing the independent rear suspension from the next model.

It would be madness to contemplate it, considering how well received the current GTI has been in terms of its drive, compared to its predecessor.

As far as I know, and from what I've read, the door panels, etc, are very costly to produce on the MKV, something to do with the way they are double-skinned, making the Golf one of the slowest cars of its type to actually put together.

Advertisement