Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you warm up your car!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

cpoh1 wrote:
    I love these comments coming from people who say that warming a car up does more damage to the car than driving it and have nothing more than a passat owners manual to back it up. How exactly can an engine running at 1400rpm do more damage to a car than an engine running at 2500rpm under load?
    I'm no engineer, but it has been suggested that 'warming the car up' makes the engine run colder for longer, thus increasing wear?
    cpoh1 wrote:
    Why do rally and race cars let their oil temp reach a decent temperature before driving their cars?.
    Because they're racing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

cpoh1 wrote:
    Why do rally and race cars let their oil temp reach a decent temperature before driving their cars?
    Because they're never driven slowly, always at full whack.

There is very little load on a car when maintaining low speeds and the car will warm up quicker. I'm basing my opinion not on a "passat owners manual" - never owned one, never will - but on several articles I've read. I'll see if I can dig them up.

You're probably right to warm your skyline up, I think they only have an on/off throttle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I remote start mine about 5 minutes before I leave the house, gets the car nice and cool on warm mornings (!) and nice and toasty on colder mornings. I have an oil temp gauge in the car, but it's not been working for a while now, takes a lot longer for oil to reach normal temp than the water does, and it's not fair to keep a MIVEC under 7,000 revs on the way to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I think the owners manual for my Passat says something about letting it idle like that can do more damage alright

Yeah I remember coming across a section in my Safrane manual that says not to do it as all it does is waste petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Mayshine wrote:
    Also it pollutes more than necessary. Just start the engine give it 10-15 seconds for oil pressure to build and oil to be squirted everywhere and drive away nice and easy.

Also your oil will reach its operating temperature and max effectiveness well after the coolant has, therefore best to wait a little longer after the coolent needle has hit its operating temperature before ragging it.

I've been told by many people that its very bad for the engine to just leave it sitting there waiting for it to warm up, for reasons already mentioned.
    The correct thing to do, which is what I do, is to drive off straight away, drive it gently till the engine temperature guage gets out of the blue/cold section, and then gradually build up the performance(as the engine is not properly warmed up until the oil temperature has gone up to its normal temperature). The oil takes normally 2-3 times as long to warm up as the water(in a petrol anyway, not sure about diesels), when the oil has warmed up thats when an engine has fully warmed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't normally but if its bleedin' cold I might just succum to giving it 5 before I get in.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

In and go, but not over 3000 RPM's

-VB-

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Belt up, radio/CD on, start engine and drive away immediately. I too read, a number of times, that 'warming up' at idle is bad for the engine.

Especially with a choke, and probably the same with injection, as the fuel/air mix is enriched, and the extra petrol in the mix can wash lubrication away.

Stay under 2,000 revs til warmed up.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Volvoboy wrote:
    In and go, but not over 3000 RPM's
    -VB-

yeah, but to be fair, you never go past 3000 RPM's at the best of times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

colm_mcm wrote:
    yeah, but to be fair, you never go past 3000 RPM's at the best of times!

FUNNY 5 MINS ON BOARDS, AYE?

Now that i've weened myself of carbs, i'm back in favor with the fuel injection engine!:D

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

esel wrote:
    Belt up, radio/CD on, start engine and drive away immediately. I too read, a number of times, that 'warming up' at idle is bad for the engine.

Especially with a choke, and probably the same with injection, as the fuel/air mix is enriched, and the extra petrol in the mix can wash lubrication away.

Stay under 2,000 revs til warmed up.

Why would you switch the cd player on before the engine :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Anybody with a performance car would be insane not to let their car warm up to operating temperature before driving them.

Any car engine built to high spec will need to be looked after, rally and race car engines are warmed up at idle because engine idle conditions offer the least stress on the engine. People have mentioned that it takes longer to warm up increasing wear time, using that arguement would you keep her at 4000rpm hence cutting the warm up time further? 1000rpm is more than enough to have a high tolerance engine running from cold at.

Theres a reason every tuner and top performance car mechanic here and in the uk recommends warming a car up by idleing it before driving it. the amount of skyline and evo owners ive seen first hand blow pistons, cranks etc. and pissing oil out their backsides from not warming their car before taking it out on the road defies belief.

On a normal car i really wouldnt bother, it wont cause damage to you car by doing it but an everyday car like a mondeo or corolal wont see the benefit of warming it up. I always drive my baleno out the drive after 1min warmup at most, and its still flying after 165k miles now.

Advertisement