Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for a beer to celebrate a big event with...

Options
  • 18-08-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Ok so as the title suggests I'm looking for recommendations on a good beer to celebrate a big event with.

Money is not an issue for this particular scenario so throw any suggestions out there!

For me in a sitation like this I'd probably look for a beer with a decent alcohol content just to steady the nerves of any big event be it new born, results of an exam, etc.. But that said and it should go without saying it shouldnt just be some crap foreign export beer. We're talking something amazing here, big flavour and just the right kick.

S the two big candidates for me to mark an occassion with would be currently:
    1. Of Foam and Fury
    2. Chimay Blue
    These two just ooze with flavour and both have the kick I spoke about without ruining the huge flavours involved.

I'm sure I'll think of more but they're the two off the top of my head that would satisfy my criteria.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum perhaps?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

What about Deus? Comes in a big champagne style bottle for sharing, looks the part, big ABV, easy drinking for non beer drinkers too.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/deus-brut-des-flandres/18912/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Similar to Chimay, a big bottle of Karmeliet, La Chouffe blonde, Kwak, perhaps? I think Karmeliet is nearly warming, very fine indeed. One of the Rochefort beers could be worth a shot.

I like these big bottles, with champagne bottle-style corks because they do look and feel like 'occasion' beers!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

drumswan wrote: »
    What about Deus? Comes in a big champagne style bottle for sharing, looks the part, big ABV, easy drinking for non beer drinkers too.

Had that recently and thought it wasn't great at all. Lot nicer Belgium beers out there that come in large, corked bottles, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. Keep em comin!

The corked bottle is something that had crossed my mind alright. Chimay blue do one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Westvleteren 12 cant be beaten for what your asking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Ive a bottle of 200 fathoms hiding in the back of a wardrobe for the day I graduate from College, its been teasing me since I bought it back in February.
    Id add something like Rochefort 10 to your list, or if you can get your hands on it, some westie.

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum perhaps?

I've havent had one of these. How does it compare with say of foam and fury? Definately something to consider. I'd forgotten about it tbh. My local decent offi never seems to have it. Was it ltd maybe?

Deus doesnt sound like my kinda beer. Its only for me also so not too worried if its for non beer drinkers tbh.
    sarkozy wrote: »
    Similar to Chimay, a big bottle of Karmeliet, La Chouffe blonde, Kwak, perhaps? I think Karmeliet is nearly warming, very fine indeed. One of the Rochefort beers could be worth a shot.

I like these big bottles, with champagne bottle-style corks because they do look and feel like 'occasion' beers!

Karmeliet looks interesting. Never heard of it. Might be a runner.

This is one that is definately worth a look. Im dying to try one. I thought they were done in batches and then sold out though.
    adamski8 wrote: »
    Westvleteren 12 cant be beaten for what your asking for.

Big words. :D ... Ive had Westvleteren stuff before and it is indeed good. Havent tried this one so interesting suggestions. Cheers.
    Ive a bottle of 200 fathoms hiding in the back of a wardrobe for the day I graduate from College, its been teasing me since I bought it back in February.
    Id add something like Rochefort 10 to your list, or if you can get your hands on it, some westie.

200 fathoms eh. After Galway Bay blew me away with Of Foam and Fury I'm giving them another chance. They're normal range is well normal if you ask me. But of foam and fury was/is just incredible. I really didnt think anyone could live with the likes of brewdog hardcore IPA or some of the decent American double IPAs but Of foam and fury imo is right up there. Can you still get 200 fathoms or was it a batch brew?

Hoptimum is very nice but I think I'd take Of Foam and Fury over it as it's easier to guarantee a fresh bottle of it plus I think it's probably just a little bit better.

• Advertisement

200 fathoms was a limited brew....although I wouldn't be surprised if they released it again. It was a great beer and Id say the demand would definitely be their for it come winter time

irish_goat wrote: »
    Hoptimum is very nice but I think I'd take Of Foam and Fury over it as it's easier to guarantee a fresh bottle of it plus I think it's probably just a little bit better.

Only thing about Of Foam and Fury is that I've had a good bit of it since release. TBH I was just so taken aback by how good it was I couldnt help myself. I've since pulled back from buying it so it becomes more "special" again when I do drink it. Your probably right about the freshness though. Great having a brew like it in our own little country.
    200 fathoms was a limited brew....although I wouldn't be surprised if they released it again. It was a great beer and Id say the demand would definitely be their for it come winter time

Thats a pity.

Not that its a celebration type drink but another limited run was Amber Ella. Is that back on sale any time soon? Gorgeous it was. A real flavour bomb imo.

Thats a pity.

Not that its a celebration type drink but another limited run was Amber Ella. Is that back on sale any time soon? Gorgeous it was. A real flavour bomb imo.

Yep its been brewed again. Drinkstore have it online...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I found Hoptimum to be vastly overrated. There's nothing there behind the hop.

For a special occasion I'd get some kind of sour - perhaps a Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic Bio, if that could be found.

Edit: Drink Store have it for €6.

Amber Ella is now part of the 8 Degrees core range. :)

irish_goat wrote: »
    Amber Ella is now part of the 8 Degrees core range. :)

I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS!!!!!!!!

And yes I was shouting there Anchor Man style!!

Seriously thats the best news I've heard in months. Sad but true. Lovely lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I've a bottle of Black Tokyo (http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brewdog--nogne-o--mikkeller-black-tokyo-horizon/137813/) for just such an occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

Smuttynose FinestKind IPA ... drinkstore and mchughs have started to stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

One of the Abstrakt range could be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Ok so as the title suggests I'm looking for recommendations on a good beer to celebrate a big event with.

Money is not an issue for this particular scenario so throw any suggestions out there!
    ..?

Where abouts in the country are you

If in cork, just go to the Abbots Ale House, and ask them to make up a few boxes of varied beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Deus was such a big winner in my house last christmas day it started a new tradition

So I can give an update. I decided to buy a bottle of Karmeliet.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll definitely be tryin a couple of the others mentioned.

Also picked up a few bottles of Amber Ella for another night. So happy it's back on the market. Expensive imo at €2.75 a bottle in Molloys but worth it.

Molloys are also doin centennial IPA 4 cans for a tenner which I think is good value for money. Decent stuff. There's a couple of others on the 4 for a tenner deal brew dog punk being one of them.

Advertisement