Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dubai: Help needed seeking work as Therapist

Options
  • 18-07-2014 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I am an occupational therapist looking to take up work in Dubai.

Could anyone please point me in the right direction in terms of which Healthcare companies/agencies to approach as I have been advised to be careful as some companies/agencies are not reputable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

This discussion might be of some help: http://www.expatforum.com/expats/dubai-expat-forum-expats-living-dubai/77918-occupational-therapist-jobs.html

The locals on that forum tend to have notions, however, so if you have any non-work-related questions about Dubai, feel free to ask me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mm87

Thank you very much for this link!!

My biggest difficulty is finding a straight answer on is it possible to live in Dubai as an unmarried couple.
    The areas of work we are qualified in are health care and Engineering.

If you have any information on this it would be greatly appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

The licencing for healthcare can be a bit complicated here. I have friends that worked in health care city as physio's and had to change licences when they wanted to change jobs, it was complicated but not impossible. There are a lot of private clinic's here which would probably pay better. Just google clinics and call them up or drop them an email.
    What type of engineering? generally well paid but you need to apply for senior roles.
    Re living together unmarried lots of people do it you just need to stay under the radar with your neighbours and at work, the lease would only be in one name and say your married they dont ask for proof. Unless you cause trouble no one will come knocking on your door.

Mechanical engineering!!

Yea I've been trying to make contact with therapists working in paediatrics/private clinics to help steer me in the right direction.
    There's a working abroad expo on in Dublin in September so it might be worth going to that as well.

Try ihon there are usually engineer jobs on there charterhouse have an oil and gas section on their site. Kidsfirst is a new-ish clinic in Dubai and I know they are in the process of opening in Abu Dhabi so might be worth getting in touch. Def try the expo but take everything with a pinch of salt, the salaries may sound good but cost of living here is high.

• Advertisement

Also LifeWorks is a good clinic but not sure if they do occupational therapy.

Wuffly thank you very much for your help!!!

mm87 wrote: »
    My biggest difficulty is finding a straight answer on is it possible to live in Dubai as an unmarried couple.

I lived with my girlfriend for a while before getting married. To be honest, it was very stressful. Every time we saw the police, whether they were parked by our building or driving close by on the road, it was worrisome. Similarly, you also have to consider that conservative neighbours may inform on you, so you'd never want to get into a dispute with anyone. You just don't know.

The reality is that it's illegal, and if you get caught, you'll have a few weeks in jail followed by deportation. That's the long and the short of it. Also, do not get pregnant outside of marriage in Dubai. If you do, pack your bags and leave immediately. It can happen that you're two months' pregnant, get in a car accident, and go to hospital for accident treatment and end up being reported to the police for pregnancy. These cases are rare enough, but they do happen, and it would be foolish to think that one is immune.

Personally I didn't find it that worrisome, most of our friends were in the same boat for a while, but we were very careful. We do live in a very western part of town. If you plan on getting married down the road, you could just have a civil wedding before you come out and have a big wedding (if you want one) down the road.

wuffly wrote: »
    Personally I didn't find it that worrisome, most of our friends were in the same boat for a while, but we were very careful. We do live in a very western part of town. If you plan on getting married down the road, you could just have a civil wedding before you come out and have a big wedding (if you want one) down the road.

Yep, if you're living in a western-dominated area, the stress should be reduced. I live in a building full of conservative Muslims (but my rent is rock-bottom).

• Advertisement

Yea I don't think it would be for us, I just know we wouldn't be able to relax and then look more suspicious!!! Have now started looking back into New Zealand. Its pricey especially for registering as a health professional but hopefully we'll get sorted soon enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

FURET wrote: »
    I lived with my girlfriend for a while before getting married. To be honest, it was very stressful. Every time we saw the police, whether they were parked by our building or driving close by on the road, it was worrisome. Similarly, you also have to consider that conservative neighbours may inform on you, so you'd never want to get into a dispute with anyone. You just don't know.

The reality is that it's illegal, and if you get caught, you'll have a few weeks in jail followed by deportation. That's the long and the short of it. Also, do not get pregnant outside of marriage in Dubai. If you do, pack your bags and leave immediately. It can happen that you're two months' pregnant, get in a car accident, and go to hospital for accident treatment and end up being reported to the police for pregnancy. These cases are rare enough, but they do happen, and it would be foolish to think that one is immune.

I suppose the money must just be too good to have to put up with that caper! :eek:

Advertisement