Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of setting up an allotment

Options
  • 30-05-2011 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

ok guys im thinking of setting up an allotment on a few acres of farming land. Im not really too sure where to begin. We are located in the countryside less than 2 km from the village and about 8 km from nenagh town in tipperary. It is quite peaceful with a good view, but is it to far for people to travel? Im not to sure if i should advertise now in the local area and see if people are interested just in case someone gets the idea of doing there own allotment.. :) but on the other hand if i do set one up and then advetise will people want an allotment? any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭barefoot

tippboi wrote: »
    ok guys im thinking of setting up an allotment on a few acres of farming land. Im not really too sure where to begin. We are located in the countryside less than 2 km from the village and about 8 km from nenagh town in tipperary. It is quite peaceful with a good view, but is it to far for people to travel? Im not to sure if i should advertise now in the local area and see if people are interested just in case someone gets the idea of doing there own allotment.. :) but on the other hand if i do set one up and then advetise will people want an allotment? any thoughts?

I think this is a great idea tippboi. Many people would have no problem driving 8km.....about 10 minutes. People sometimes form carpools as they get to know each other. I found this link...it has some interesting points to think about.
    http://www.allotments.ie/?p=1376

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Think the idea of allotments is super. The distance should not be a problem. Firstly I would say you are a bit late for 2011 so if you are interested in 2012 you could get some work done. I suppose you would need to look into the insurance aspect and also the costings. I would also suggest you talk to others who may have already set up some. Great idea and best of luck with it.:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you have water and electrical power supply to the plot?
    what is the soil like? what insurance implications are there? how much are you planning to charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Magic- go for it, its a great idea.
    If there is any way I can help on my blog I will, I think it is a needed service.
    A few years back I was involved in politics, and one of my pet projects was to get councils to provide more allotments as they do in Holland, with the same type of regulations.

Get a blog going, or a website if you can, and connect it to a facebook group.
    Try door to door flyers in housing estates printed off by yourself from your own PC with contact details, blog name etc.

In Holland the allotment provides water to each plot, you will need to do this.

There is a limiting size on polytunnels, sheds etc.

They provide the use of heavy tools like soil rotavators and wheelbarrows to be shared.

They provide the external fencing to the allotment area

Nenah being 9 miles away means you will need to provide parking for Cars (in Holland of course its for bicycles)

Other regulations would be dogs need to be on a leash, you cant have them bounding around damaging plants.

Advertisement