Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Special Thanks

Options
  • 02-09-2007 11:37pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My car's temperature light came on yesterday as I was heading towards Leixlip (about a mile from home).
    I pulled over and took a look and the coolant cap was loose and no coolant inside the bottle :(
    I tried ringing home but no answer! I rang the AA but it would be ages before they could get to me.
    Anyhow, Gerry from boards happened to pass, recognised me and pulled over. He brought me back to my house where I grabbed some water and coolant from the shed, went back and sorted the car*. He had somewhere else to be at the time but still took time out to help a stranded boardsie.
    Cheers Gerry!

The car is fine now!

* eventually! The plastic bleed valve screw at the top of the rad decided to break whilst half open! Thankfully a spare screw with the same thread fitted!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Well done Gerry!

Was it Gerry the Admin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭markpb

I presume it was this guy. Fair play to him, that was nice.

How did he recognise you? I mean, how does the secret boards.ie handshake work when you're in your car and he's driving past?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

markpb wrote:
    I presume it was this guy. Fair play to him, that was nice.

I see. Thanks. Well done again Gerry.
    How did he recognise you? I mean, how does the secret boards.ie handshake work when you're in your car and he's driving past?

It was probably the uber sekkrit boards wave that done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Cool, wasn't very far out of my way at all. Glad you got it sorted. I presume the bleed screw broke when you were bleeding it after refilling, not beforehand.
    That plastic bleed screw is a stupid design, the same thing happened on llatsni's car.
    So, any idea why the coolant decided to leave in the first place? I had a similar problem on my car over the weekend, eventually found a pinhole leak in one of the large water hoses. It only leaks when the car is revved up, so all my searching while the car was idling revealed nothing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My coolant cap had somehow worked itself loose and leaked out.
    When removing the air from the system (shortly after you left) via the bleed screw, I went to tighten it and the top broke off it.
    As for the secret boards.ie handshake - I adopted the secret boards.ie stance waiting for said handshake.
    To the unfamiliar, as the handshake a secret, I can't tell but this may help...
    http://jsalt.vodpod.com/video/101301-monty-python-architects-sketch

• Advertisement
Advertisement