Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor 4G

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Chris369 wrote: »
    Wait until 3 release 4g it will be near 100mbs download in most parts of dublin in December
    How do you know this ?

100 mb would be a dream but a waste with 15 odd gb limit.

I doubt I'll get 4g here for a long time anyway.
    Three don't have a 15GB limit. Nor do I think they ever had. What they do have is a 15GB fair usage where they state that they MAY limit your traffic. So far, they don't have this facility.

24 down 13 up, I'd take that now !

Thing is are those speeds consistent ? Or is 23.5 mb then 9 then 4 then 12 ?

Meteor has no download limit until Feb or so ?

If they didn't introduce a limit I'd be all over it, my 200-300 GB a month wouldn't be long downloading !!!

Meteor said that it's unlimited until March. They never said that there would be a cap afterwords. Basically, they are trying to get a grip on how people use 4G. Yeah, they might put a cap on it. They might not.

Mobile internet is inconsistent by definition. Mobile operators [Meteor, eMobile, O2, Voda, Three, MVNO's] cannot guarantee consistent internet speeds no more than Met Eireann can promise no rain in winter. It's just not possible.

RangeR wrote: »
    Three don't have a 15GB limit. Nor do I think they ever had. What they do have is a 15GB fair usage where they state that they MAY limit your traffic. So far, they don't have this facility.

Quote from 3 site on broadband, they do have a non mobile phone plan of 60gb for 36 Euro.

Anyway here is what they say about data.

"What happens if I go over my data allowance?
    Bill Pay
    If you go over your data allowance, you’ll be charged an out-of-bundle rate. Call us on 1913 to see if a different data price plan might suit you better.
    3 Pay
    As a Prepay customer it makes sense to buy a broadband add on, which gives you a fixed amount of data for a fixed period at a fixed price. If you access the internet without an add on it can be pricey. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out which choice is better value!"

Not something I'd be taking a chance on, could end up with a whopping bill.

I know my all you can eat package on the mobile is limited to 15gb as in the terms and conditions. Again, I wouldn;t like to go over.

Mobile operators should be made give you the option to cut off data at the limit.

Going waaaayy Off topic so this is the last I'll say on it. You referenced a 15GB limit. This, many believe, is the mobile AYCE limit on Three [as you reference again in the above post.] There is no 15GB limit on AYCA. It doesn't exist and it never did. There is no limit specified in the T's & C's. It mentioned that they MIGHT use measures to slow you down. You can still use it for as much as you want. In real terms they do not slow you down. They can't. They do not have that technology. At least they didn't a few months ago. But now... with O2... who knows?

The Mobile Broadband only [no voice or text, just data] packages do have a limit of 60GB, as you say. This is a different product and nothing to do with AYCE data on a voice tariff.

Fair enough, I didn't know that. cheers.

https://store.meteor.ie/mobile-broadband-devices/bill-pay/huawei-e5372-hotspot

Where does one see the unlimited data on meteor ?

18 month contract, if it's unlimited to 1st March that's a big risk to take that they could limit it to 10-20 gb which would be useless for me !

• Advertisement

Ah ok I saw it after I got rid of the banner asking if I wanted to chat to someone ! :D

This would lead anyone to believe that after the unlimited data offer expires they will cap data at 20 and 30 gb so I certainly wouldn't be signing up to an 18 month contract on that bases alone !

I'm just on the fringes of coverage from Carlow Town so it's unlikely I'd get it anyway, but if I was certain the data would not be capped after march then I'd definitely try it out !

But you can't replace a 6mb 300 GB service with 40 mb and 30gb cap !

Meteor.jpg

This would lead anyone to believe that after the unlimited data offer expires they will cap data at 20 and 30 gb so I certainly wouldn't be signing up to an 18 month contract on that bases alone !

I'm just on the fringes of coverage from Carlow Town so it's unlikely I'd get it anyway, but if I was certain the data would not be capped after march then I'd definitely try it out !

But you can't replace a 6mb 300 GB service with 40 mb and 30gb cap !

Meteor.jpg

I agree. It's very badly worded and could be much more clear. I wouldn't be forking out any money without knowing what the limits were for the duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

If you have 3 bars of 4g on the three network, you are almost promised 20mbps+.
    In parts of dublin people are getting a consistant 50mbps+

It's mad to think that the areas of coverage on three are the places that already have access to high speed broadband and realistically you don't need 20-50 mbs on your mobile.

What would have been better is a prober 3-6 mb service that didn't fall to 0.2-0.5 mb. due to over subscribing the 3G service.

I think they would do much better if they started in the areas with poor broadband infrastructure because realistically, I wouldn't pay extra for 4g on my phone where I'd pay 20 a month extra to have an unlimited 4g with a real 30-50 mbs service that would replace my 6mb down and 300 kbs up crap DSL.

The three 4G coverage is absolutely shockingly bad, I'd be even embarrassed to display it it in public !!! If this is only the start then fair enough but even meteor 4g is a hell of a lot better.

• Advertisement

It's mad to think that the areas of coverage on three are the places that already have access to high speed broadband and realistically you don't need 20-50 mbs on your mobile.

What would have been better is a prober 3-6 mb service that didn't fall to 0.2-0.5 mb. due to over subscribing the 3G service.

I think they would do much better if they started in the areas with poor broadband infrastructure because realistically, I wouldn't pay extra for 4g on my phone where I'd pay 20 a month extra to have an unlimited 4g with a real 30-50 mbs service that would replace my 6mb down and 300 kbs up crap DSL.

The three 4G coverage is absolutely shockingly bad, I'd be even embarrassed to display it it in public !!! If this is only the start then fair enough but even meteor 4g is a hell of a lot better.

When meteor started it covered 2 towns and a city, that was way worse.
    Why would you put 4g into the back-end of no where with 200people served by a certin mast instead of putting it in a city where 5000 people may be served by the mast.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    When meteor started it covered 2 towns and a city, that was way worse.
    Why would you put 4g into the back-end of no where with 200people served by a certin mast instead of putting it in a city where 5000 people may be served by the mast.

yes, but the 5000 have option to much more providers, and in the bigger towns. It's not necessarily correct to assume that because the mast has the potential to reach 5000 people that people will use it if they have such choice !

For 200 people, they can be provided for by satellite broadband which has improved greatly in the last few years.

yes, but the 5000 have option to much more providers, and in the bigger towns. It's not necessarily correct to assume that because the mast has the potential to reach 5000 people that people will use it if they have such choice !

For 200 people, they can be provided for by satellite broadband which has improved greatly in the last few years.

But sure, say 100 of the 200 (Im being enthusiastic here) evail of the 4g service.
    And 250 of the 5000 (Im being not at all generous here) avail of the 4g service
    2.5x the revenue in the 5000 arrea. Also, I may move from 1 apartment to the other, so a 4g dongle would give me a fast broadband service on the move.

I live in west clare, trust me I know the lack of supply.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    But sure, say 100 of the 200 (Im being enthusiastic here) evail of the 4g service.
    And 250 of the 5000 (Im being not at all generous here) avail of the 4g service
    2.5x the revenue in the 5000 arrea. Also, I may move from 1 apartment to the other, so a 4g dongle would give me a fast broadband service on the move.

I live in west clare, trust me I know the lack of supply.

Well, I know I'd pay a lot more for a good quality fast 4G service where I won't apy a cent extra for a 4G service on my mobile. I simply have no need for 4G on a mobile device.

I think the mobile operators fail to realise the potential for revenue they could generate in offering 4G in places that can't get broadband or have crap broadband.

I think the mobile operators fail to realise the potential for revenue they could generate in offering 4G in places that can't get broadband or have crap broadband.

And I think that a lot of the general public [mislead by the mobile networks and gov.ie, of course] fail to realise that 4G will fall on it's ass if too many users are on a cell. And the number of users doesn't need to be that much at all.

In fact, head of eircom [or someone very high up] yesterday on radio actually acknowledged that fact on Newstalk. The analogy was that if a Bus Eireann vehicle full of passengers was passing through a 4G area and all of those passengers decided to watch Netflix <insert other high bandwidth consumer>, would they all be able to? He said, eventually, no. Some would. Some would be jittery. Some would get no access at all as the cell would be over capacity.

This conversation revolved around a tiny amount of people. A bus holds how many? 40, 50?

RangeR wrote: »
    And I think that a lot of the general public [mislead by the mobile networks and gov.ie, of course] fail to realise that 4G will fall on it's ass if too many users are on a cell. And the number of users doesn't need to be that much at all.

In fact, head of eircom [or someone very high up] yesterday on radio actually acknowledged that fact on Newstalk. The analogy was that if a Bus Eireann vehicle full of passengers was passing through a 4G area and all of those passengers decided to watch Netflix <insert other high bandwidth consumer>, would they all be able to? He said, eventually, no. Some would. Some would be jittery. Some would get no access at all as the cell would be over capacity.

This conversation revolved around a tiny amount of people. A bus holds how many? 40, 50?

Sure I agree, there was nothing wrong with the 3g apart from the neglect of the infrastructure and this is where the Government need to step in to protect consumers and make operators offer a minimum allowed but decent speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭AHireland2k11

anyone know if the meteor 4g map is accurate? I live in the back end of nowhere about 20 minutes outside Athlone on westmath offaly border and the map says I csn get excellent 4g coverage. But yet we cant even get eircom uncongested broadband and no vodafone 3g coverage.

anyone know if the meteor 4g map is accurate? I live in the back end of nowhere about 20 minutes outside Athlone on westmath offaly border and the map says I csn get excellent 4g coverage. But yet we cant even get eircom uncongested broadband and no vodafone 3g coverage.

I found the meteor 4g map to be horribly inaccurate, I can pick up the meteor network in places just outside the coverage area in some cases, yet in the centre of some areas I may pick up no network.

Lack of effort is probably to blaim there.

Just in case you think uncongested broadband means anything, it doesn't. I can get three 4g in my house, yet my eircom broadband is not uncongested and struggles to get above 1.5mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

I find the map generally accurate for outdoor coverage. However, as with all mobile networks, once you go inside well insulated buildings, you can sometimes still lose coverage even in an area where there is good outdoor coverage. In fairness, mobile operators can't be expected to enter every home to measure indoor performance. If you are looking for 4G for Broadband at a fixed location, then outdoor performance should be adequate. You can always use an external antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Hey Guys,
    All these tests were done whilst my phone had 5 Bars of signal...
    Conducted thses tests on the basis of trying to find out which network is the fatsest and most reliable. I will back vodafones 4G on one speedtest on my mothers phone where the speeds exceeded 60mbps download and 20mbps upload. Unfortunatly she guards the phone like a halk so I have no proof...
    Anyway enjoy the results and sorry for uprooting a relitavly old thread!:):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement